CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stevens 520 humpback
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 am 
Utility Grade

Hey all, I've been poking around this site for a bit and realized the wealth of knowledge floating around here so I figured I'd try my luck and see if someone could help me out with a few things.

I just picked up an old Stevens 520 pump the other day and really wanted to find the age of it and maybe an approximate value. I know its not too valuable with the normal wear of an old gun so I figured around 150 + or -?

The guy I bought it from had never fired it and the previous owner before him hadn't in 25 yrs, so its been sitting for around 35-40yrs without being touched. But it still cycles real smooth and the action was well oiled when I broke it down. I was going to try and take it out for some trap later this week and wanted to know what type of loads I should be putting through it. With the gun most likely being 80+ yrs old I'd assume steel shot would be out of the question but I've heard varying input on the subject. I don't know much about ammo but I'm hoping suitable rounds for this gun wont be much more expensive, I'm just a poor college student :P . Anyways thanks in advance for any input, I appreciate it.

Specs:
Its labeled Ranger on the left side of the receiver with a # 6 enclosed in a circle stamped on the lower left. The barrel has a # 5 stamped the same way with it labeled as a full choke underneath and a serial number of 94834. It also has a weird crescent moon type stamp on the bottom of the magazine. I'd post a picture but my camera just died on me, I'll try to get something up later.

Post subject: Re: stevens 520 humpback
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is it the double hump or single? Also is the safety in front of the trigger, or on the tang behind the reciever?

I had one for a while. I believe it's pretty stout, but I just stuck with low pressure loads. They're complicated as heck, but very well built.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A sample Stevens for comparison -

Mine is also a Ranger, but has no markings other than S/N and bore. It is a 16ga, choked full.

One caution - it can slam-fire, as disconnects weren't common at the time it was designed. Other than that, it's a very solid piece that can break down into a convenient package as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 am 
Crown Grade

If the gun in question is a double hump gun and marked J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. or J. Stevens A & T Co. it is pre-WW-I. Pre-WW-I they made some high grade guns --

If it is marked J. Stevens Arms Co. it is post WW-I. The No. 620 replaced the No. 520 as the Stevens pump gun by 1927 and the No. 520 was then marketted as a Riverside Arms Co. gun for a while.

The single hump No. 520-30 was a later gun that was made as a trench gun and in "trade brands" but I've never found it shown in a Stevens catalogue, just the parts lists as a Stevens Model 520A --

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:33 am 
Utility Grade

Sorry it took me a few days to get some pictures up. They're a little crude from using a webcam but hopefully it can help someone identify. As far as I can tell with the old ads researcher posted, it is a 520 due to the slight pistol grip on the stock. Although it doesnt have any of the markings like J. Stevens Arms Co. or J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. to differentiate pre/post WW1.

Chucker- thanks for the heads up on the slam-fire. I read that somewhere else also.

Is there no record of serial numbers for this line of guns? I've been searching the internet and haven't been able to come up with anything. Hopefully with the pics one of you guys who knows more could identify the age. Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a gentleman who has old records, and will check for a fee. See this post for the address -
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=246046&hilit=chicopee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

RANGER is the name used by Sears Roebuck and Company on most of their firearms.

The guns, rifles and shotguns, were made by many companies.

Cross reference here: http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/ ... rence.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:30 pm 
Crown Grade

The statement from the Savage Historian -- "Serial numbers are not generally available for Stevens arms. A history of the model, giving all available information along with the approximate date of manufacture can be furnished....."

The handout I copied this from gave a price of $5 but was from back in the days of Roe Clark. The currant Historian is John T Callahan, 53 Old Quarry Road, Westfield, MA 01085 and the last price I saw quoted was $15. You've gotten as much info here for free as you'll get from John for $15.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 am 
Utility Grade

cool thanks for your help guys. I appreciate all the input.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All, If you need the disassembly manual for the Stevens 520 I have It on my site
http://afdeals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_54&products_id=135"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:23 am 
Utility Grade

Hi All, If you need the disassembly manual for the Stevens 520 I have It on my site
afdeals.com It's loaded with different manuals