CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stanley Arms Co. exposed hammer double barrel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Help me with identification information about his shotgun - Stanley Arms Co. 12 gage double barrel side-by- side with exposed hammers with quail engraving and PF N BG symbols stamped into the metal. Thank you much.

Post subject: Re: Stanley Arms Co. exposed hammer double barrel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

Look like this? For Wiebusch & Hilger Co. New York, and others by Francois Dumoulin. Should have Belgain proofmarks on the barrel flats.

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

Post subject: Re: Stanley Arms Co. exposed hammer double barrel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

In any case a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A"Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or an independent retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. I have listings for both domestic and foreign made guns with this name. Look on the bottom of the barrels under the forearm for any proof marks. These marks will determine the country of origin. I have listings for just plain STANLEY and STANLEY ARMSCO both of which was made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1931) and were sold by either the H & D Folsom Company of New York City and Weibusch & Hilger Company also of New York City. I also have listings for gun with the same names that were made in Belgium. These guns will have the letters "ELG" in an oval stamped on the bottom of the barrels. There is one more listing for a STANLEY DOUBLE GUN which was also made by Crescent Fire Arms. One must watch how the name is marked on the gun and give that information just as marked with no changes.