CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Expert Opinion..Stoeger m3500 vs. Beretta 3901 Standard
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey I'm thinking about getting a new shotgun for Duck season (mostly to shoot Geese) and also for Rock Pigeons later in the winter (but who knows what else I may end up hunting this fall since I just love to hunt whatever I can :D ) I'm only fifteen and so I sadly am not able to afford a new $1500 SBEII or Vinci. I narrowed down my search to these two affordable auto-loaders. I have heard good things about both, like how Stoeger fixed the issues from the infamous m2000's in the 3500 series. I've also heard great things about the Beretta's reliability. I need an opinion on which auto-loader would last me a long time with fewer, or preferably NO issues. I was also at one point considering a Remington 11-87 but really have not heard much good things about them. So if you could make a recommendation and a reason for it, I would be really appreciative. Happy Hunting

EDIT: I also really would like an opinion from someone who has handled both the Stoeger m2000 and m3500 and could explain the reliability improvements, and general improvements of the 3500...Thanks in advance

-Scotty

Last edited by WyomingWaterfowler on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Need Expert Opinion...Stoeger m3500 vs. Beretta 3901
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Scotty:

No brainer here - in this price range get the Beretta. Its's a great proven gun and will serve you well.

The 11-87 is a much better gun than a lot of the crap you may have heard will suggest. However; I'd still get the Beretta.

You sound like a smart kid for a 15 year old. Keep coming back to ShotgunWorld, let us know what gun you buy, and post some good goose photos! I got my son started on Geese when he was about 15. That's probably his favorite game to hunt now. He's pretty well fixed on using Brownings though (as am I).

Personally, I wouldn't ever spend $1500 on a SBEII. For new semi-autos today that might be considered a "step up" from the 3901, I'd be recommending a Browning Maxus, Browning Silver, Winchester SX3, or a Beretta Extrema. I've heard good things about the new Remington Versamax (plus some negatives) but I haven't shot one so won't comment. The Benelli's are dependable- I just like the Brownings and Beretta'smuch better.

The SX3 is a very nice gun for the money.

The 3901, however; is also a great gun and there's not a whole of difference in it compared to some of the models dicussed above costing twice as much.

Once you get a few years on you and save up some more you might want to buy another, possibly more expensive gun. I'm guessing at that time you may just decide to stick with your 3901!

(and if you ever do decide to trade up, you will get a lot more money back from a Beretta 3901 than a Stoeger.......)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:15 pm 
Utility Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter Thank you for the input. After hearing about the unreliability of the m2000 I was starting to lean toward the Beretta anyway, even though I had heard the issues were fixed in 3500.

Post subject: Re: Need Expert Opinion..Stoeger m3500 vs. Beretta 3901 Stan
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Wyoming:

Your welcome and good luck this year!

This is my son on the right. He'd rather Goose hunt than almost anything. We took these three on a very cold day when almost everything was frozen up. Two of the three had leg bands- one of those had a neck collar as well!

He usually shoots a Browning BPS. I like my A-5, BPS, Maxus, and this year hope to get an Ithaca M37 Waterfowler pump.

You should get a lot of good advice on this forum. And it wont all be the same as mine no doubt! But I bet everyone will agree that the Beretta 3901 is a superb gun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
Utility Grade

IMO the beretta is a much better gun than any stoegor. The beretta will provide you with years of enjoyment and reliability, it's not worth to go with the stoegor as parts and service will be harder to find than the beretta. One of my friends had the 2000 and had nothing but problems with it. I'm not trying to bash on stoegor but go with the beretta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I have both the m2000 and two 390's and one 3901, I've shot the 390 since 1996 with zero issues. The stoeger doesn't have load versatility like the beretta's do, also the stoeger kicks like a mule. I only recently upgraded to a Xtrema2 and to be honest the 3901 is just as good. I bought the 3901 to be a beater gun but it is the same quality as my 390 silver mallards. The part's are easy to come by, extra barrels are fairly cheap compared to the higher end beretta's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Scotty:

No brainer here - in this price range get the Beretta. Its's a great proven gun and will serve you well.

The 11-87 is a much better gun than a lot of the crap you may have heard will suggest. However; I'd still get the Beretta.

+1 on the Beretta. Just make sure it fits you well BEFORE you buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

+1 Beretta Beretta makes the most reliable semi-autos these days. Plus, you can make it do whatever you want with easily obtainable stocks and barrels.