CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miroku Charles Daly 12 gauge o/u question on barrel selectio
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Just acquired a mint mid-60's Miroku CD and wondered if I have a barrel selector to choose from to permit me to shoot from top barrel only/first if I'm shooting single trap. Just wondering. Anyone out there know??? Will be shooting trap and sporting clays this Friday.

Post subject: Re: Miroku Charles Daly 12 gauge o/u question on barrel sele
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it is a Miroku the safety button, when forward in the safe position, will slide left to right. On either side of the button will be an O for over barrel or U for under barrel. Choose which you want to be the first one fired. Once selected it will stay there until you change it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chip-3 wrote:
If it is a Miroku the safety button, when forward in the safe position, will slide left to right. On either side of the button will be an O for over barrel or U for under barrel. Choose which you want to be the first one fired. Once selected it will stay there until you change it.

I've never seen a gun with a tang mounted safety switch in which the forward position was the "SAFE" position. SAFE is always to the rear on all guns I've seen. Of course, I haven't seen all guns, so anything's possible. :D

Anyway, with the safety to the rear, slide the safety to the right and forward to shoot the Under barrel first. If you want to shoot the Over barrel first, slide the safety to the left (from the rearward position) and then forward.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes, you switch the safety button left to right while the gun is still on safe. After the side is selected the gun will stay that way when you push the safety up and "off".

My Superposed works the same way. The problem for me, and why I like two trigger guns, is that I've never been able to switch the barrel on a DC Miroku on a covey rise. I just can't think that fast, but I can remember to move my finger back if I want to go from modified to full choke on a two trigger gun. After all you have some time, usually.

I do think, however; that one can train ones self to work the safety rapidly. I just can't do it. I always set the single barrel system to fire the open choke first.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks guys..........much appreciated. All set and ready to shoot! {hs#

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sorry about the brain f**t, safety back for barrel selestion and forward for off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:29 am 
Utility Grade

No problem Chip. I get them all the time. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Miroku Charles Daly 12 gauge o/u question on barrel selectio
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:55 am 
Crown Grade

Sounds like a nice gun. Good luck with her...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As an aside, I have had a Miroku Daly 28ga for 30+ yrs and it is my favorite grouse gun ever. Wish you all the luck with it. Great shotguns!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I am not a double guy and don't shoot more then casual clay in the desert and hunting so I could be wrong BUT I believe if only using one barrel on clays they usualy opt for the bottom barrel as it will create less muzzle rise. I suppose that you want to shoot the more open choke which may be on the top since screw in chokes where yet to be invented.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fixed choke OU's as a rule have the more open barrel on the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Chip-3 wrote:

Oh ok. I don't know alot about them as I think they are bulky. I just know from reading brister and R. Oswald the bottom barrel is best for targets due to less muzzle rise and face slap. Simple physics.

Same reason the butt on an AR is almost level with the barrel and scope is mounted high. During full auto or rapid fire the barrel rises less and makes it easier to stay on target.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

stockranger wrote:
Chip-3 wrote:

Oh ok. I don't know alot about them as I think they are bulky. I just know from reading brister and R. Oswald the bottom barrel is best for targets due to less muzzle rise and face slap. Simple physics.

In THEORY, that is correct. In actual practice, if someone blindfolded me and handed me my shotgun with only one barrel loaded and ready to fire and all I had to do was pull the trigger, I couldn't tell you whether it was the top barrel or the bottom barrel that fired. I think that the same thing would be true for the overwhelming majority of shooters.

If a shooter is getting "face slap" from shooting a shotgun, it is due to poor gun fit or poor shooting technique......... not from which barrel is being shot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The theory of lower barrel first is that the lower barrel provides a straighter rearward push than the upper, lessening felt recoil. Again, theory. I agree with Ulysses, that face slap is a function of poor fit or poor mounting. Usually a pitch change will resolve a lot of issues.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:16 pm 
Crown Grade

It is interesting you guys don't notice a difference. I did have a sxs for a while and the right barrel certainly recoiled away from my face and the left barrel made it recoil into my face.