CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: distance bird shot will travel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm new to shotgunning. I live in a small town that allows hunting with shotguns ("single projectiles are not allowed"). I am in the proccess of aquiring written permission to hunt on several wooded properties. To access one of these areas (a nice oak ridge, hopefully with a good supply of grey squirrels and turkey), I need to walk through a wooded portion of land that is between two residential subdivisions. According to state law and municipal ordinance I cannot fire a gun within 300' of a building. Now I certainly intend to be much farther away than that, I don't want to rub people the wrong way and get them all excited when my 20 gauge goes off; in fact, looking at Googleearth, I found a landmark that scales a good 500' from the nearest house that I intend to use as my 'stop and load' point. Now my question: If I'm loaded with high brass #6 birdshot, and I fire my gun with the barrel at a vertlical angle of 45 degrees up into the air, how far can that birdshot travel? I have safe directions that I can shoot at treed squirrels; but if I'm really far back in the woods can I still shoot at a squirrel without sprinkling shot in someones yard?

Post subject: Re: distance bird shot will travel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

I hope this helps you.

The size of the shot used has much to do with the range of the load. It can be assumed that the same weight of different sizes of shot, propelled by the same amount of powder, will develop identical muzzle velocities. However, small shot lose their effectiveness before their pattern density is lost, while the larger sizes of shot lose their pattern density before their energy and stopping power is lost. No. 6 shot seems to be the intermediate in that it loses its pattern density and penetration effectiveness at about the same point on its trajectory. Another important factor is the angle of elevation when firing. When No. 6 shot is fired from a gun held slightly above the horizontal, the pellet drop will cover an area of approximately 400 feet in length. The nearest shot will fall about 300 feet from the gun's muzzle. While the furthest will land some 700 feet away. When the gun is elevated at an angle of approximately 40 degrees the drop area of the shot is greater, from 400 to 900 feet.
A load of No. 4 shot will carry somewhat further. The nearest pellets striking the ground some 600 feet away. These distances vary from shot to shot as weather conditions, particularly the wind, have an effect on a shotgun's range.
It is the generally accepted opinion that the No. 7 1/2 shot, used in trap loads, have an extreme maximum range of about 300 yards. Trapshooting ranges should provide this distance for their approximate danger zone.

A French ballistics expert, General Journee, years ago worked out a formula to the effect that the maximum range in yards equals 2200 times the shot diameter in inches. When the gun is held at a horizontal position or only slightly elevated, this formula gives the maximum range of shot sizes as shown below.
No. 2 - 330 yards
No. 4 - 286 yards
No. 6 - 242 yards
No. 7 1/2- 209 yards
No. 8 - 198 yards
Altitude also has an effect on how far shot will carry. Data published by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, for example, indicates the maximum range for No. 7 1/2 shot is 780 feet at sea level but increases to 1,080 feet at high altitude (12,000 ft.).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

According to Ed Lowry data, #6 lead may pierce skin out to 161 yards.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:42 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the quick reply! That's great info!
I'm hunting within 300 feet of sea level. So, I should be pretty safe to shoot #6 shot once I'm sure that I'm at least 1000' from the subdivision lots (maybe 1100', allowing for positional errors in the GPS and possible tail wind).
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Count on the neighbors calling the cops on you even if your shot doesn't hit their houses or get onto their yards...

:x :oops: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot at a club with a duck tower and it's pretty common to have pellets rain down on nearby cars and people, doesn't hurt and isn't bothersome. Just don't rain it down on their cars and roofs besides unless it hits them or they are standing right there next to either one, they'll never know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I sometimes get sprinkled with pellets when I am duck hunting. If this happened at a gun club, and my car or I got sprinkled, I would be ticked off. All shot should be going down range. Period. Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

That stuff couldn't dent rice paper, it sure wouldn't hurt a car or roof and doesn't pose a danger, besides shooting at a duck TOWER, down range is up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Use a pellet gun, really fun and no bang. For turkeys all low angle shots... not a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:31 am 
Crown Grade

Useful info here

http://www.njskeet.com/files/shotgun_statistics.pdf

http://weightychoice.com/
http://www.androideveryday.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:54 am 
Crown Grade

Above link changed to jpg you will need to zoom in to make it readable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Wind can be a factor too. One of the neighbors over & up used to do some training on his 'back 5'. Not much of a problem until pellets would fall on our house. Someone built behind him so it's no more. I told him I don't like pellets falling on the house.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:58 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info. I know that hunting in this area has the potential of causing problems once the shooting starts. I intend to cary with me, in a ziplock bag: a copy of the town ordinance, copy of the tax map, and copies of signed permition slips from the property owners (referencing the tax map and lot numbers). But most important; knowledge of the area, capabilities of my firearm, repect for others and their property and common sense.

marbleye - I would prefer hunting squirrels with a pellet gun but the town ordinance clearly states firearms shooting "single projectiles", including pellet and BB guns, are not permited.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:17 am 

Be advised that you can hear shot hitting the vegetation within 30 yards of the hit. This is enough to set off problems with those doin the hearing.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

Post subject: distance bird shot will travel
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:06 am 
Tournament Grade

hammerless99 wrote:
I would prefer hunting squirrels with a pellet gun but the town ordinance clearly states firearms shooting "single projectiles", including pellet and BB guns, are not permited.

Does the ordinance specifically include BB/pellet guns? Several towns/cities put them in a different category since they don't contain gunpowder.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curly-Nohair wrote:
Be advised that you can hear shot hitting the vegetation within 30 yards of the hit. This is enough to set off problems with those doin the hearing.

You can hear it a lot further than that! At one of the skeet fields I shoot at, the treeline is about 150 yards from the center stake. You can hear shot raining off the leaves.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:10 am 

drsfmd wrote:
Curly-Nohair wrote:

You can hear it a lot further than that! At one of the skeet fields I shoot at, the treeline is about 150 yards from the center stake. You can hear shot raining off the leaves.

Yup, and any bystander will swear that it is all around them, causing trouble for the OP.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:52 pm 
Limited Edition

i think shot can travel a lot further than we all think......

someone else posted this on here a little while ago

breaking clay pigeons at 130yards with a normal shotgun and standard clay cartridges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teixm6JM ... detailpage

Baikal single shot 12g ejector with "HUSHPOWER" silencer

Boito single barrel 12g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:11 pm 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
According to Ed Lowry data, #6 lead may pierce skin out to 161 yards.

Yet #6 steel may not at 50 yards.