CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 + SureFire E2D setup questions....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello,

About a month ago I purchased a Mossberg 500 Tactical (5+1) with a heatshield. I've been wanting to add a flashlight to the front since I bought it, but I haven't found a good setup. The fact that I have a heatshield covering most of the barrel prevents me from using most of the common products (as in, mounts that attach to the shell tube or the shell tube + the barrel).

A few days back I found a really cheap ($8) mounting kit that allows you to mount a 3/4 inch diameter flashlight to your barrel. Then yesterday I purchased a SureFire E2D 200 lumen flashlight and set it up.

I am really happy with the way it looks and feels (it does not move at all - seems very secure), however when the light is on and I rack the gun, it flickers as the forearm is slamming against the front and then also as it hits the body on its way back.

I guess this is more of a SureFire flashlight question than a Mossberg question, but is that damaging the light? Are there any downsides to a setup like this?

All opinions are welcome. And I'm open to suggestions if you have an alternate setup in mind.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 + SureFire E2D setup questions....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

200 lumens is painfully bright when you turn it on and it splashes off the wall in the middle of the night.

the flicker is probably caused by the batteries bouncing back and forth inside the light body. This could potentially be causing stress on the circuit board in the head of the flashlight as the batteries will strike it under recoil. So, you may be causing damage to a handheld light by mounting it to a heavy recoiling firearm.

constant on is not a favored technique for low light engagements. It looks like the push button on your light might be a bit of a reach for you from where you have it in relation to the forearm, but I also don't know how tall you are.

pistol grips and mossbergs generally don't play nice. They make getting to the safety awkward at best. awkward and safety don't play nice either.

I've used the tacstar mount you have there. Mine always slipped under recoil, but it looks like you wrapped something around the barrel to prevent that. I just hope whatever you put on there doesn't burn or melt.

Personally, I'd ditch the heat shield unless I really needed it for shooting a high volume of shells and switch to a higher quality mount. I'd also consider screwing a small piece of rail into forearm and mounting a light to that instead of mounting it to the barrel/mag tube. I'd also put a conventional short LOP stock on it and a quality 2-point sling.

You're on the right track mounting a light. Might I ask, how much experience do you have with shotguns and what is the intended purpose of your gun? If it's a fun-gun then you can go all willy-nilly with doodads and whatnots, but if you're looking to make it a serious working gun for home defense then there are a few solutions that have been worked through in depth on this forum and by people who's job it is to run a gun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

200 Lumens is not too bright. That's non-sense that I am soooo tired of hearing. It's an unbelievably common misconception, and one I used to share, before having some real no/low light training.

Bright, no doubt, but that is the point.

The E2D is one hell of a light, but waaaayyyyy wrong for a weapon light. Any dual output light should never be used on anything that produces recoil. Any interruption in the circuit will make it change modes, which is what you are experiencing. Also, using a good momentary on/off discipline, you will be switching modes. It's supposed to do, and is in fact designed to do what you are experiencing.

BTW, I carry an E2Defender every day, so I'm not knocking it. It's badass. Just not right for a weaponlight.

"In the empire of lies, truth is treason!" -Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Racked 870 wrote:
200 Lumens is not too bright. That's non-sense that I am soooo tired of hearing. It's an unbelievably common misconception, and one I used to share, before having some real no/low light training.

Having done some MOUT and CQB training, 200 lumens is awesome when you're already awake. Having woken up in the middle of the night and needing a light immediately while still bleary eyed with sleep, 200 lumens is not comfortable when its only fifteen feet from you to the door. Though, I don't think this is the thread to side track on lumens. Until another thread agree to disagree {hs# ?

I think we can both agree that the E2D is a great light, just not for the OPs use.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

alt154shiver wrote:
Racked 870 wrote:

Having done some MOUT and CQB training, 200 lumens is awesome when you're already awake. Having woken up in the middle of the night and needing a light immediately while still bleary eyed with sleep, 200 lumens is not comfortable when its only fifteen feet from you to the door. Though, I don't think this is the thread to side track on lumens. Until another thread agree to disagree {hs# ?

I think we can both agree that the E2D is a great light, just not for the OPs use.

I look forward to the conversation. Yes, otherwise, we agree. {hs#

"In the empire of lies, truth is treason!" -Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:34 pm 
Utility Grade

Just to answer a few of your questions:

- Yes, I am a shotgun noob. I grew up in lower Manhattan with little-to-no exposure to guns. I had a P22 in my teenage years, and then I bought an H&K P30 about a year ago. The last time I shot a shotgun, before buying this Mossberg a few weeks ago, was when I was 13 and visiting cousins in South Dakota.

- You asked about my height: I am 6' 1".

- I'd like to keep the heat shield on ideally. I like the way it looks and the barrel does get very hot after 10+ shells. If I were to remove it though, what kind of "higher quality mount" are you referring to? Do you mean one that mounts to both the barrel and the shell tube? Can you link me to a page that shows it?

- This is a range-toy more than anything. Yea I keep the tube loaded and the gun sitting in the corner of my bedroom, but the chances of me ever having to use this on a human being are slim. With that being said, I still shoot it a lot - I go to the range about once every two weeks and put 25-50 shells through it. I'm sure that will taper off as I grow tired of the gun, but as of right now I use it quite often. The idea of the flashlight is just to have it permanently attached if there is ever an "oh sh*t" moment in the coming years. And yes, I've read extensively about low-light flashlight usage in a self-defense scenario (flicker or flash the light - don't leave it on).

- The flicker of the light output, as you said, is definitely caused by the lithium batteries sliding forward and backward during the racking process. Like I said, I can live with this caveat as long as I know I'm not damaging the flashlight. If I am, I would gladly remove it and just keep it on my person and buy a new, more suitable, flashlight for the Mossberg.
If that is the case, can you recommend a specific light that is cheap (<$40) and has a 3/4 inch diameter?

Thanks again for your time and input.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:01 pm 
Utility Grade

alt154shiver wrote:
Personally, I'd ditch the heat shield unless I really needed it for shooting a high volume of shells and switch to a higher quality mount. I'd also consider screwing a small piece of rail into forearm and mounting a light to that instead of mounting it to the barrel/mag tube. I'd also put a conventional short LOP stock on it and a quality 2-point sling.

You're on the right track mounting a light.

So I've ditched the E2D attachment....

Can you recommend (and/or link) any better heat shields that will fit this gun? I've been googling for the past hour and cant find anything that specifically mentions its compatible with the 500 SP tactical.

Also, can you recommend a 2 point sling?

I've also removed the brass bead sight and wanted to know what other options I have for that tiny mount.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Most people just don't use heat-shields. They get in the way of other practical additions like lights and sling points as well as simply being a mostly cosmetic addition. Simpler is almost always better with a fighting gun.

Two point slings: My personal favorites are the GS-2P from gear sector (http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/101/), Jason Trusty makes some great stuff, and the Vickers VCAS from Blue Force Gear (http://www.blueforcegear.com/categories/Vickers-Slings/). Jasons mounts are top notch too. Both slings are quick adjust and damn near bomb-proof.

Your best bet on a shotgun is a good bead sight. They are inexpensive, aren't prone to failure and simple/intuitive to use. That said, one of the major improvements you could make to your bead is to get an XS Big Dot bead to put on the front. It epoxies over an existing bead, had a big bright white dot and a tritium element in it so you can see it at night. Perk, no batteries required. You have to options for installing it over a mossberg bead. You can replace the moss berg bead with a different sized bead from brownells, or you can use a dremel to open up the inside of the XS slightly so it'll fit over the stock mossberg bead.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

"This is a range-toy more than anything."
So keep the heat shield if you like it. Its not going to get in your way sitting in the corner...or at the range.

"Can you recommend (and/or link) any better heat shields that will fit this gun?"
There is the John Masen heat shield. Google it. The Masen is a polymer like your stock so it won't scratch the barrel. Its 13-3/4" long and butts against the reciever. The front barrel clamps extend back 1-3/16". The shield is almost 3/16" thick and it only weighs 1.7 ozs. Pic below:
Click thumb

You might consider an aftermarket forend that has a provision for short rails at the sides or bottom to mount your lite. Using this type forend would allow you to use a Streamlite TLR-1s tactical lite that weighs 4.18 ozs. (or any other lite): http://www.botachtactical.com/sttltali.html