CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 11-87 Premier vs 11-87 Sportsman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:22 pm 
Limited Edition

For those who have used both models please compare a mid 1990's produced 11-87 Premier to the currently produced 11-87 Sportsman. Wood stock version, in 12 gauge. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 11-87 Premier vs 11-87 Sportsman
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:52 pm 
Crown Grade

About like a top-notch Wingmaster vs. the worst Express.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

+1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BarryD wrote:
About like a top-notch Wingmaster vs. the worst Express.

+2
Yep Barry, you took the words out of my fingers...:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Areyou talking form function or both.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

The Premier is better both in form and function by far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have owned and shot both. The sportsman is just as good as the Premier. The Premier obviously has more finish work and better wood but they both perform the same and handle the same. Just like a Wingmaster vs. an Express, they do the same thing, just that one has a better finish.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 pm 
Crown Grade

You might think they handle the same, if you can't tell the difference between two guns that weigh about a pound different, with most of that difference in the barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Doesn't the Sportsman use the Light-Contour barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

BarryD wrote:
You might think they handle the same, if you can't tell the difference between two guns that weigh about a pound different, with most of that difference in the barrel.

Have another drink barry.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have not seen a Sportsman model with a Light Contour barrel, and to the best of my knowledge they don't make those barrels in anything but polished blue. The non-polished Remingtons do weigh more than the polished ones. I bought my stepson a newer Youth 20 gauge because he wanted a black gun, and with the shorter barrel it was 8 ounces heavier than my LT20 Magnum with the 26" skeet barrel on it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 pm 
Crown Grade

1CYLON3, you're the one who has to be drunk. Per Virginian, the Sportsman, like the Express, is not made with the LC barrel. It weighs a lot more than the Premier.

You are such a Remington fanboy, yet you seem to never have even picked up the guns you rattle on about. Virginian and I may disagree in our preferences for different gas guns in the field, but his posts show that he speaks from experience with the guns.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Welcome to the Friendliest Shooting Forum on the Net!

Here we go again...

People come here everyday or maybe only once a year. The latter group does not always ask their question in quite the right way and ultimately seem to get trounced at the onset.

This site has been on and off again now for so long that the excess venom that posters have stored up seems to be gushing out on every topic.

What happened to flame the post and not the poster?

In case you haven't noticed BarryD the OP hasn't come back since his OP. Gee I wonder Why?

You seem to be very knowlegeable about "every" gun ever invented. But your answers are so nasty, arrogant and cynical (unless you're asking the question) that the OP's never bother to come back. What's the point. You spew that that their choice of A,B,C, shotgun is a worthless pig and they should sell it to buy something else. That is ever so helpful.

If you actually gave a sh*t about helping the OP, you might have asked him what his intended purpose of said firearm would be. But you don't care.
You could have told him that "In my opinion" the 11-87 Premier has a more refined finish, the metal is blued whereas the "new" Sportsman has the Matte Black Express finish of which I am not a fan.

The wood on the Premier is the high gloss type finish that gets easily ruined while hunting where the Sportsman has the more durable satin finish but both are walnut.

The premier has the metal trigger guard whereas the Sportsman has the polymer guard, and either one will outlast the shooter.

The older Premier is about a pound lighter in the barrel, and may swing a little better but otherwise the internals are fairly identical.

Barry, with all your gun knowledge and expertise, you could have typed these kinds of things and more. But as usual you just spew crap to keep adding to your post count.

Think I'll have another drink now... :roll:

Just saying...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:56 am 
Tournament Grade

The 90's era Premier's were offerd with both standard and LC barrels I owned both in 28" field models. At the time Remington claimed a 8oz difference between models. For what it's worth the standard barrel gun was a nightmare but the LC would not fail no matter the conditions or shells I fed it.

Kurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

1CYLON3 wrote:
BarryD wrote:

Totally uncalled for and incorrect statement.

There is a big difference in the two guns by the way and Barry is correct.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:19 am 
Presentation Grade

BarryD wrote:
1CYLON3, you're the one who has to be drunk. Per Virginian, the Sportsman, like the Express, is not made with the LC barrel. It weighs a lot more than the Premier.

You are such a Remington fanboy, yet you seem to never have even picked up the guns you rattle on about. Virginian and I may disagree in our preferences for different gas guns in the field, but his posts show that he speaks from experience with the guns.

Why don't you come over and look at the scale Cliff, yes I am now going to refer to you as Cliff Clayven the know it all. I don't care if every person on this planet argrees with you, My two guns were so close in weight you wouldn't be able to tell the difference if your eye's were closed! I also have a pro-bore G3 barrel that I am sure according to Cliff has to weight more than a regular 11-87 barrel because of the shiping label, But in fact it does not. And for anyone to notice 8oz or less, from one gun to the next is just looking for his next excuse, like Cliff here. Not all things are created equal or according to printed weights and shiping labels.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 am 
Presentation Grade

VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
1CYLON3 wrote:
BarryD wrote:

Totally uncalled for and incorrect statement.

There is a big difference in the two guns by the way and Barry is correct.

So you VT, just like Cliff have been to my house and weighted the two?? Amazing that so many people think everything is made to the exact same tolorances and dimensions. I'll call you Cliff jr.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:34 am 
Diamond Grade

Go buy one of each and do a field test for us. They are pretty inexpensive in the full scheme of things. There are many cut corners on the Sportsmens version. The last decent Synthetic version were the SPS series of the 11-87. The Primere versions stopped at the time of the G3. The ones right before the G3 were damn nice quality autos. Almost a limited addition version with b grade wood. Some even had the G3 stocks and SuperCell pads. If you look hard enough you can probably find one in cherry shape. I would not buy the Sportsman Synthetic unless I were using it around H2O.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have an 1187 Premier with a 28" LC barrel I successfully hunt and shoot clays with for several years now. I have also handled/shot a few newer model Sportsman 1187’s in recent time. Now I'm not implying my Primier LC is remotely close to being the lightest or best handling semi auto gun model out there especially for upland hunting. It is my personal opinion the Premier is a better handling shotgun then the current Sportsman model. In short... they don't handle/carry the same or are remotely close in build qaulity. And no doubt the overall finish of the 1187 Sportsman vs. Premier is kin to comparing the 870 Express with a Wingmaster. And I have also seen many more Sportsman & Express model shotguns with operational problems than Premiers or Wingmasters in my group of friends and fellow shooters. I would have to agree with the assessment of Barry regarding this thread topic.

I have successfully owned and used many Remington (rifles and shotguns) over 40 year’s time. I'll never own an 1187 Sportsman or purchase another 870 Express from my own personal experiences with these Remington shotgun models. And I'm also really lucky I didn't purchase a 105CTI although I came close to doing so because I have been a big Remington Arms fan over the years. The bottom line for me is Remington needs to build a better handling more reliable new model semi auto to gain my confidence back. Now the Versamax might be a good start if they can take some weight out of the shotgun. Build the gun reliable in operation... Introduce a quality done high gloss or oil finished walnut stocked deep blued version of the Versamax. That would probably bring me back to a new model Remington semi auto shotgun. Till they figure it all out I'll stick to my older Remington models, use my other shotguns or buy something else.