CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic for Trap
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:16 am 
Field Grade

Wondering if you guys could answer some questions for me. I would like to get into trap shooting, but it would only be league during the summer and winter at my local rod and gun club.

I have been looking at the Remington 1100 competition synthetic with the adjustable comb. I have a few questions for you experienced shooters.

1. What was this gun designed for specifically? Remington says competition clays. Do they mean sporting clays?

2. Will this be a decent trap gun. I've looked at the 1100 trap models, but the monte carlo stocks don't fit me at all. In fact, every trap gun I look at that has an adjustable comb, the comb has to be all the way lowered for the two beads to form a figure 8 on the rib. The 1100 synthetic comp. is no different.

3. If one wanted to stay with Remington's trap guns, but the monte carlo stocks don't fit, what are your options? Move to a different brand? Be forced to find a model with an adjustable comb?

4. I already own a browning gold fusion and a Citori white lightning that I hunt with. Would I be wasting money here buying another semi auto for a sport that my citori or fusion might work for?

I am sure these questions seem basic, but I could really use some help here from the more experienced. Thanks in advance.

Jess

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 Competition Synthetic for Trap
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:22 pm 
Crown Grade

Jess wrote:
1. What was this gun designed for specifically? Most likely sporting clays...that's what they usually mean when they say "clays".
2. Will this be a decent trap gun. Yes, it could be.
3. If one wanted to stay with Remington's trap guns, but the monte carlo stocks don't fit, what are your options? Have an aftermarket stock installed on the Remington.
4. I already own a browning gold fusion and a Citori white lightning that I hunt with. Would I be wasting money here buying another semi auto for a sport that my citori or fusion might work for? Never a waste of money to buy another shotgun, but it might be considered redundant.
IJess

Hope this helps. Just remember, it's only my opinion, and everyone has one...usually different.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:19 pm 
Limited Edition

to form a figure 8 ?? The middle bead means the gun is mounted correctly that is all . The figure 8 means very little to nothing forget it .

Your eye is the rear site not the center bead forget it .
A monte carlo stock is to bring your eye up and the higher it is (your eye) the higher the gun will shoot . (a good thing in trap)

Most Rem 1100,s shoot very flat (looking down the rib )to flat for trap .
I would be looking a clean used guns . The 1100 Rem and the Browning BT-99 would be my first choice but the Rem 870 is good also .

You can buy any of the guns I listed for less money or close .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:29 pm 
Field Grade

Keybear,

Thanks for the post, however I don't see how getting a used 1100 trap with a monte carlo stock will help me. The stock is too high and if I find one that fits, it will shoot just as flat as this Competition that I am looking at. Every BT-99 I have seen has been close to a grand, and that is also with a Monte Carlo Stock...again...it doesn't fit me. If it has an adjustable comb, it will cost even more. I've had a few 870's, and I am not really interested.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am new to the game but I do know one thing that is universal as far as shooting. If it does not fit, it will not work. Trap? Hunting? Benchrest? Rimfire target? You cannot fight the gun/rifle and do well........ llc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Jess I believe your right Sorry for the post ?
I guess you need to buy whatever it is ??
It sounds like any field gun will fit so your right again .
Lots of nice BT-99,s can be bought for less then 750 bucks but not new ?

Again you are right you know what you need ?
The only question I would have is why did you ask in the first place ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:19 am 
Field Grade

Keybear,

I am sensing a bit of sarcasm in your reply. Why did I ask my questions? Why didn't you answer them? I asked about a specific gun for trap, what was its main purpose, do the guns I have fill the niche...none of which you answered. I don't want to pick fights with anyone on here. I am new here, I don't know anybody here, and would just like my questions answered. I have no problems with anyone on here and would like to keep it that way.

You recommended an 1100 and I said the monte carlo stocks don't fit me and that is what is equipped on their trap models. I personally haven't found a BT-99 with an adjustable comb less than 1000 bucks, but if you see them for sale at the 750 price tag you mentioned, I would be happy to take a look at them.

Jess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jess......the part you missed is about point of impact. If the higher stock setting of a monte carlo, fixed or adjustable, gets your eye (back sight) looking down the rib too high visually for your liking, doesn't mean the POI is too high for hitting trap targets. In fact, most of us here use stock settings that allow us to look down the rib as if a ramp. Needing a POI that is anywhere from 60% to over 100% higher than flat to shoot trap. While at the same time would adjust the POI down for clays or skeet. (50% to 70% high) so to not loose sight of the target while targeting in any discipline. A preference developed mostly from shooting trap.

If its the sight picture that concerns you, or in the case of wanting a flat rib, bead to bead perception while shooting. There are a number of manufactures of add-on custom ribs to meet your preferences. All of the clay games will end up about POI(point of impact) and may require some difference in settings. With trap the most demanding for the higher settings. Those that choose to play all of the games with one setting will tend to set a bit higher than 50-50% and point the difference by lead, even vertical. If the game of American trap becomes your game of choice, you will develop a preference for higher POI's. Count on it.

Gun fit will end up to be about bringing the gun straight up to your dominate eye in a comfortable position and mount. Point of impact will be about setting the gun to deliver shot on target while looking at the moving target. 2 different things, both very important. Address fit first, then POI.

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:47 pm 
Field Grade

Maltz,

Thank you for a very good explanation. This makes sense.

Let me ask you a few questions then. Lets say I get a dedicated trap gun. We will use a BT-99 for example. Let's say I get one with an adjustable comb and the way I have it set up, I am looking straight down the rib, the two beads line up (I see no rib at all when I mount it, just beads) and I do the same thing for a gun designed for sporting clays. I pick a gun that when mounted, the two beads line up and I see no rib. If I take the BT-99 to the patterning board and I take the sporting clays gun to the patterning board, will the trap gun automatically throw the pattern high and the sporting clay gun throw the pattern even if I am looking down the rib and just see beads on both of them?

Where I am getting confused is when guys start talking about adjusting the comb. People say put it higher to raise the poi. If that is the case, then aren't you taking a gun that may have fit perfectly to begin with and now making it "not fit" by not being able to line up the mid bead and the front bead and also by seeing too much of the rib? This is where I am getting lost.

Jess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:07 pm 
Limited Edition

And I thought we went over this

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jess wrote:
Maltz,

Thank you for a very good explanation. This makes sense.

Let me ask you a few questions then. Lets say I get a dedicated trap gun. We will use a BT-99 for example. Let's say I get one with an adjustable comb and the way I have it set up, I am looking straight down the rib, the two beads line up (I see no rib at all when I mount it, just beads) and I do the same thing for a gun designed for sporting clays. I pick a gun that when mounted, the two beads line up and I see no rib. If I take the BT-99 to the patterning board and I take the sporting clays gun to the patterning board, will the trap gun automatically throw the pattern high and the sporting clay gun throw the pattern even if I am looking down the rib and just see beads on both of them?

Where I am getting confused is when guys start talking about adjusting the comb. People say put it higher to raise the poi. If that is the case, then aren't you taking a gun that may have fit perfectly to begin with and now making it "not fit" by not being able to line up the mid bead and the front bead and also by seeing too much of the rib? This is where I am getting lost.

Jess

Jess.....your confusing gun fit with sight picture preferences. How high or low the comb is only sets the point of impact higher or lower. Thats fine if you want a trap and or sporter gun to have the same sight picture as you look down the rib, but without an adjsutable rib moving from the front bead up or down, there would be no way to adjust POI. Gun fit is about how the gun mounts, comfort and stays in position while moving to the target. Gun fit is about how easy it is to bring the gun stock to your dominate eye and resulting recoil of how the gun reacts after firing. Gun fit compliments proper form and mount making it easier to accomplish and delivers recoil to the mass of the stock and in line with the bores. With the stock in place and remaining there on your shoulder before and after the shot sequence.

Point of Impact (POI) is about the shot pattern being delivered to a familar place and that place being related to where your looking. Just look at any target and the pattern will center on that spot. This way you only need to use vision and not look back to the sights(beads) to judge where the shot will be placed. In clay target we must focus on the moving target and our subconscious must know where the shot will be placed (pointing). Look away and loose the targets movement and timing. For example:It would be hard to hit the baseball while looking at the bat.

Making the sight picture irrelevant as compared to shot placement. Look at gun fit as a seperate issue from setting the POI. If you want both, control of the sight picture and POI you will likely need both an adjustable comb and rib.

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

If this is all true, then why do guys say that trap guns are harder to shoot sporting clays with than using sporting clay guns for trap? What is it that makes a trap gun specific to trap? If you can move the point of impact with an ajustable comb, couldn't any gun be used for either discipline successfully?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Because all (most) Trap guns should shoot high . Once a trap gun is set to shoot were your looking no one would think of a change it just to shoot sporting . Trap targets are always rising so we need a high shooting gun . I shoot 100% high alot shoot more some less but we all shoot were we are looking . A trapshooters biggest fear is some thing (anything ) on his trap gun will move out of adjustment. If that would happen you start over .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

Keybear,

That makes total sense to me. This is very logical and yet I've never really stopped to think about that before.

To everyone who has posted...I really appreciate you going over these things for me. I am sure this stuff has been talked about zillions of times already.

I wish you all perfect scores from whatever yard line you shoot from and if you are hunters and fishers, best of luck for the rest of the season.

Jess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Jess I hope I have been a help .

Some times what we know is not so

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 am 
Tournament Grade

What they are saying is correct. I have just started shooting a little trap using a standard model 1100. It does great, but I have to remember to shoot a tad over the target because it shoots flat. I assume the trap 1100 is intentionally setup for a hiqher POI which is what most trapshooters want.

Also I assume the new competion model is intended to be multipurpose. Make the adjustments desired for trap or clays. Adjust the POI back down for something shorter range like skeet, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 am 
Limited Edition

oldstick
It does great, but I have to remember to shoot a tad over the target

You need to see the target all the the way to and after the shot . That is the reason for higher shooting guns in trap .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 am 
Presentation Grade

I believe there is an exception to the rule that all trap guns should be set up to shoot high. If you pull the trigger as you should when the bird is in the preferred break area you want a high shooting gun. If for some reason you are shooting when the bird is at or nearing the zenith of its arc, isn't it true that you are better off with a flat shooter?

Of course, I don't want to be shooting late when the clays are flattening out, but I tend to shoot slow. Until I am used to shooting earlier I think I may be better off if my gun is set up to shoot flat. Then as I get faster I want to raise the POI since I will be hitting rising birds.

To give an extreme example I was trying out a parallel stock o/u that was very different from my basic 870 Express with an angled comb. When it was pointed out that I was shooting over the targets. I realized that was because I was shooting the unfamiar gun late in the arc of the bird. In fact I started pointing under the bird and hit it before it started falling. Once I realized that I was very slow to get on target so I shot will under the bird and killed it as it fell.

I am not suggesting it is good to shoot late, but to ask if a newer trap shooter can benefit even more from an adjustable stock or adjustable rib that allows them to set their gun up to shoot relatively flat and as they shoot more quickly thay can adjust it for a higher poi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:32 am 
Tournament Grade

KEYBEAR wrote:
oldstick
It does great, but I have to remember to shoot a tad over the target

You need to see the target all the the way to and after the shot . That is the reason for higher shooting guns in trap .

Roger on that...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:26 am 
Utility Grade

Jess,

I have one of the 1100 Competition Synthetics and I use it for trap, mostly. I am a beginning trap shooter (less than 2 months) and am 6'6" tall and needed all the adjustability I could get out of the box that's a big reason I chose this gun...The other reason is that I could use this gun and try other games with it by adding different barrels which are readily available for less than $200 in most cases.

I love the gun, it's a very soft shooter, never had a problem with feeding ammo; 200+ rounds so far. The only issue I have had is loosing the middle bead (needed loctite), I called Remington and then sent me 3 or 4 in an envelope in a couple of days. So customer service is pretty good to.

As far as where it shoots, as others have said it shoots a bit flat, but you can change POI pretty easily to fit your needs. You need to take it out and pattern it to be sure you know where your shots go. That helped me tremendously with my scores.

Overall, I think this is a good starter gun at a "reasonable" price point. If later on you want to upgrade I think the value will still be there to get a decent return on your investment...and move up the scale.

Best of luck, I hope this helps a little bit.

-Drew