CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SV10 Prevail Sporting vs Beretta 686 White Onyx, Sporting
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why is there a $1,000 difference in the prices of these two guns?
What am I missing?

Post subject: Re: SV10 Prevail Sporting vs Beretta 686 White Onyx, Sportin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Take a look at the Prevails details , Q-stock , drop out trigger group , kick ease recoil reducer and selectable ejectors .

Look at the international site for details here
http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Compet ... =82&idc=22

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think it also comes with higher grade wood, extended chokes, some new-fangled for-end retention mechanism that's supposed to stay on better and not get all rattley over time, and that Optima HP barrel profile makes MUCH lighter barrels.

I've had a chance to play with both...I bought the SV10.

At the end of the day, the both go "bang" when you pull the trigger and more often than not, if you point it in the right direction the target will break.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

blarg wrote:
I think it also comes with higher grade wood, extended chokes, some new-fangled for-end retention mechanism that's supposed to stay on better and not get all rattley over time, and that Optima HP barrel profile makes MUCH lighter barrels.

I've had a chance to play with both...I bought the SV10.

At the end of the day, the both go "bang" when you pull the trigger and more often than not, if you point it in the right direction the target will break.

Thanks. for a 30% price difference I would hope the difference would be significant.
I have yet to get my hands on one. Shooting one before I buy could be difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Theres no more difference between these 2 guns than any other 2 guns with different prices. Not really sure what would be worth an extra grand to you. Youre not going to get a third barrel or magic dust that makes you shoot better. The sv10 is the new redesigned 68x mechamism but there is no more difference between this gun and the base model 68x than there would be between the base model 68x and a silver pidgeon 3 or a even a blaser or a perazzi. Different barrels, different wood, different lockup and trigger, but otherwise no difference at all. Its still just a shotgun and it wont transform into a cool fighting robot or anything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

blarg wrote:
Its still just a shotgun and it wont transform into a cool fighting robot or anything.

That's what I was hoping for, I guess its not worth the scratch. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:36 am 
Tournament Grade

This is actually a great question in that I have had the chance to handle a 32" barrel SV-10 and love it so much so that I'm selling off some stuff and saving for one now but for me it will be used as a field gun to so I was wondering how the 686/687 sporting models handle in comparison and if they might be an option as well, That Prevail seamed to melt in my hands so I was hooked!

Kurt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 am 
Presentation Grade

after an sv10, a 68x with the same barrel length feels like swinging a lead pipe. they weigh about the same but the sv10 is balanced better...at least for me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:12 am 
Tournament Grade

As the previous owner of a 687 Silver Pigeon 3 I can tell you that the SV10 Prevail III is the best handling over and under I have ever used. I love mine and think it most likely it will be the last O/U I ever want to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:23 am 
Tournament Grade

blarg wrote:
after an sv10, a 68x with the same barrel length feels like swinging a lead pipe. they weigh about the same but the sv10 is balanced better...at least for me.

Plus one what Blarg says. I have written elsewhere that I felt the 682 Gold E was like swinging a log compared to the Prevail. The SV10 is a superb game gun as well as a top flight competition sporter. Unless you are very recoil sensitive I would definitely do without the horrible looking and feeling "kick-off' contraption, it simply is not necessary or worth the extra dosh. I have had my Prevail for 5 months now and if I could only have one shotgun the SV10 would be the one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:15 am 
Tournament Grade

You guy's are killing me! I can't wait to get one but I have a lot of saving yet. there is one at a shop about 30 miles from me and i'm hoping it will still be there when I come up with the dough, it's the game seen receiver with 32" tubes and decent wood, thanks for sharing all the info on the two models.

Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:56 am 
Limited Edition

have a look at this one , pretty good deal

http://www.greatlakessportingarms.com/b ... -2222.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or here it's even cheaper http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/Beretta ... otguns.php

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the pricing info any other places to look at? I have a couple of young kids at home so I'm saving dollar by dollar! It's nice to have a target price to shoot for...(no pun intended)

Kurt