CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dillon Shotgun Presses...?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are a lot of references to different shotgun presses, with MEC seemingly the dominant make. I seldom see any comments about the Dillon shotgun presses? Do any of you have and use Dillon presses? What is the general opinion of these shotgun presses? They are somewhat pricey when compared to MEC, etc. They appear good in the photos in the Dillon catalog, but I've never seen one in person. :)
Any comments....? :? :?:

Post subject: Re: Dillon Shotgun Presses...?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:59 am 
Crown Grade

It depends who you talk to,some people love them, some don't.They have redsigned their final crimp assembly 5-times.Their handle pull is good and also the shell feeder,although the feeder
holds about 90-shells.I know of 5-shooters that took them back for a refund,saying that they did
not like them, because of the crimp problems.Dillon may have that problem solved now?They will
gaurantee their machine,but if you ship it back to them,it is my understanding that they will charge
you the return shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:11 am 
Diamond Grade

I am sure they are a fine press. For the money, do they produce a load any 'finer' then my MEC Grabbers? I doubt it. Some folks are into pride of ownership and if that trips your trigger you would be happy with a Dillon or P-W or even a Spolar. My budget dictates the most bang for the buck; that is why I drive a Hyundai instead of a Lexus. Besides, if you end up purchasing a MEC product you have the good luck of having Curly on board at Shotgunworld. I think he could operate or repair any MEC press in his sleep.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shootshellz wrote:
I am sure they are a fine press. For the money, do they produce a load any 'finer' then my MEC Grabbers? I doubt it. Some folks are into pride of ownership and if that trips your trigger you would be happy with a Dillon or P-W or even a Spolar. My budget dictates the most bang for the buck; that is why I drive a Hyundai instead of a Lexus. Besides, if you end up purchasing a MEC product you have the good luck of having Curly on board at Shotgunworld. I think he could operate or repair any MEC press in his sleep.....

"Shootshellz".... I didn't suggest that they are a better press, or that pride of ownership would trip my trigger. All I asked for was some opinions on the Dillon press! Have you ever used a Dillon shotshell press, if you haven't, then you cannot comment, can you!
:roll: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:37 am 
Diamond Grade

DBTED: Whoa there big fella! Perhaps you need to switch to decaf. As stated, I am sure the Dillon is a fine press. And I said SOME folks are into pride of ownership. No, I have not used a Dillon press, primarily due to economics, as stated. And I won't comment any more, which should make you happy....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:02 pm 
Crown Grade

I have three friends that own or owned the Dillon 900. One friend said it worked fine, but at the time they bought it they thought that Dillon was going to get the .410 tooling to work - they never did so he sold it to someone else. He replaced it with a hydraulic drive Spolar set up in 4 gauges. I am not aware of him having issues with the Dillon - other than the lack of .410. The guy he sold it to used it for a while - and also upgraded to a Spolar.

The third friend of mine that has a 900 is, or was, trying to sell it to buy a PW for sale locally that is set up in 4 gauges. He said he was hesitant to sell it to anyone at the club because 'he wouldn't wish that bitch on anyone he knew'. So far as I know it is still for sale. I can't tell you what he doesn't like about it - I do know he also wishes it loaded .410.

Dillons get very good reviews when it comes to problem solving and support by Dillon.

One of the complaints i've heard is that the case feeder works ok - but much to small of a capacity.

fwiw

john

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

It's beginning to look like I'm one of the few who actually has one, but you normally get a lot of comments from those who don't own one and never have, so here goes.

I owned 3 MEC 600 Jr.s, in 12 Gauge, 20 Gauge and .410 bore and 1 MEC 9000G in 20 Gauge before the wife bought me the Dillon in 12 Gauge, with the casefeeder, low powder sensor and all the other goodies.

I got one of the first ones they made because she placed the order 3 months before they started shipping. When I first got it, I had a few troubles, first with snapping the primer arms in half, and with the crimp. Dillon sent me new primer arms for free, of course, and refrained from laughing at me because I did something the manual said not to do, and I did it twice, snapping both arms that came with it. Dillon will send you new parts forever with their warranty.

Both problems were because I didn't read the manual. When I finally read the manual (because I was desperate), I found out what was wrong and I adjusted the press accordingly. I've had no further problems since then, and that was quite a few years ago.

Dillon used to claim something like 800-1000 rounds per hour and I actually timed it once. I had the wife putting empties in the shell feeder and she also emptied out the bin the reloaded hulls went into, but I dealt with the rest, the primers, wads and watching the powder. You don't have to pay much attention to the shot holder as it holds 25 pounds of shot, just check it at the start of a loading session and if you're doing more than around 300, just dump another bag in at that time. Anyway, I wasn't going at maximum speed, just a good clip where I could keep track of everything as I went and I got 800 rounds in one hour. Not bad at all.

Is it better than my MEC 9000G? No, but the quality of the reloads is equal it's certainly a lot faster and that's mostly because of the shell feeder. The free parts forever is another bonus. At the time I got it I was shooting around 20K rounds/year of 12 gauge and the wife was shooting around 6K/year of 20 Gauge and I was starting a business and putting around 70+ hours/week into the business so I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend on reloading if I wanted to be able to shoot as much as I liked.

So, if I had it to do over, which press would I get? The Dillon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0113582988 ... c.q=Dillon

From the seach engine

http://weightychoice.com/
http://www.androideveryday.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ka6otm wrote:
It's beginning to look like I'm one of the few who actually has one, but you normally get a lot of comments from those who don't own one and never have, so here goes.

I owned 3 MEC 600 Jr.s, in 12 Gauge, 20 Gauge and .410 bore and 1 MEC 9000G in 20 Gauge before the wife bought me the Dillon in 12 Gauge, with the casefeeder, low powder sensor and all the other goodies.

I got one of the first ones they made because she placed the order 3 months before they started shipping. When I first got it, I had a few troubles, first with snapping the primer arms in half, and with the crimp. Dillon sent me new primer arms for free, of course, and refrained from laughing at me because I did something the manual said not to do, and I did it twice, snapping both arms that came with it. Dillon will send you new parts forever with their warranty.

Both problems were because I didn't read the manual. When I finally read the manual (because I was desperate), I found out what was wrong and I adjusted the press accordingly. I've had no further problems since then, and that was quite a few years ago.

Dillon used to claim something like 800-1000 rounds per hour and I actually timed it once. I had the wife putting empties in the shell feeder and she also emptied out the bin the reloaded hulls went into, but I dealt with the rest, the primers, wads and watching the powder. You don't have to pay much attention to the shot holder as it holds 25 pounds of shot, just check it at the start of a loading session and if you're doing more than around 300, just dump another bag in at that time. Anyway, I wasn't going at maximum speed, just a good clip where I could keep track of everything as I went and I got 800 rounds in one hour. Not bad at all.

Is it better than my MEC 9000G? No, but the quality of the reloads is equal it's certainly a lot faster and that's mostly because of the shell feeder. The free parts forever is another bonus. At the time I got it I was shooting around 20K rounds/year of 12 gauge and the wife was shooting around 6K/year of 20 Gauge and I was starting a business and putting around 70+ hours/week into the business so I didn't have a whole lot of time to spend on reloading if I wanted to be able to shoot as much as I liked.

So, if I had it to do over, which press would I get? The Dillon.

Ka6otm........ Thanks for the detailed information. This is what I was looking for. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

youtube a couple of dillonaero clips and you'll see what's behind a dillon. same company. good luck with it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:47 am 
Utility Grade

I use both MEC and Dillon loaders so maybe I can give some input here.

I am very happy with my Dillon SL900. The quality of the machine as well as Dillon customer service are amazing. I use it for 12,20, and 28 gauges.

The only down side is that they don't make a 410 conversion for the SL900.

Prior to the Dillon, I used MEC 9000Gs in all four gauges. I still use the 9000G in 410.

The Dillon is faster and easier for me to use than the 9000G. The casefeeder and tilt out wad guide are very nice and it doesn't spill powder or shot if the shell is not in place properly. Also, I can dump an entire bag of shot into the hopper.

I use a Dillon XL650 metallic reloader for pistol and rifle. The SL900 is built on the same frame as the 650 with the same idea behind gauge/caliber conversions and die swaps as the metallic loader. I like the idea of having one machine on the bench and swapping dies rather than having different machines for different gauges.

I just wish they had a 410 conversion for it...

I'd be glad to answer any questions on the SL900. I have loaded many thousands of rounds on my 9000Gs as well as my SL900.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 am 
Diamond Grade

I have loaded about 20,000 rds on my Dillon. It is very fast. I can load a normal practice batch (200) in 15-20 minutes, total. I mix all types of hulls and it works fine. I have found that it does not resize steel bases like Gun Clubs enough to work in some autos. Notice that most who leave Dillon go to the Spolar. if you are not mechanical I would avoid the Dillon, it takes some setup and fiddling to work right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

The resizing of the steel based shells can be a problem with any reloader,that is why a lot of shooters
are buying the MEC Super Sizer.I know of at least of 3-P/W owners that use them now.I have found the W/W Universal's to be the worst.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:48 am 
Utility Grade

High Rib 52 wrote:
I have found that it does not resize steel bases like Gun Clubs enough to work in some autos.

The Dillon has an adjustable resizer collet. Did you try adjusting that to get them in spec, or are you saying that it wouldn't resize them properly even when cranked down? I have not tried loading steel base hulls in my SL900.

I agree that the machine takes some fiddling to set up and get running smoothly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I purchased my Dillon SL900 just after they first became available, well over 10 years ago. Anyone with a little machanical aptitude will do fine getting set up and maintaining it. Do read the manual. Its said that less than 20% of the people actually read instruction manuals, so your mileage may vary. Would guess I have well over 100K reloads through my Dillion and have only replaced a few high use parts like spings and wad guide. My case feeder handles over 100 without problems. Or, have had any crimping problems if adjusted properly. One guy just taking his time can load 500 or more an hour. The very reason I purchased the loader in the first place. Rock and roll, because loading ammo is a boring job to me. Even with the Dillion I can stand about an hour at a time. Every late winter, I take a Saturday and load all day to make about 5K or 6K handicap loads to get ahead on ammo. A job I hate, but must do.

Also have a MEC and have had several others over the years. I do some 1oz loads on it for first shot in doubles. Only need about 1500 every year and too lazy to change the Dillion. In no way can a MEC be considered in the same class as the Dillon press, but they do make reloads and thats all that we ask. The MEC is really boring and slow.

Maltz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

I did adjust the collet as far as it would go. If you read the manual it clearly states "brass based hulls" and I didn't see that until I started having problems. My K80 and older Urika 391 like the GC reloads. An MX 2000S won't extract them and my new Urika II won't even fully seat them (gun club reloads) sometimes. I measured the 391 bbls and found a big difference in chamber size and weight. If I load AA's or STS's they work fine in everything. the Dillon loader works great, is very adjustable but needs TLC and a certain amount of patience.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:45 pm 

My piece of Poo Mec sizes the steel based hulls just fine without TLC. :mrgreen:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:58 pm 
Crown Grade

The STS shells are brass based,so are the old CF style shells.The newer HS, W/W,A/A's are also steel
based shells.Some chambers are larger,some smaller.Not every reloader likes every kind of shell,They all have their little quirkes,no matter what reloader you have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

creeker wrote:
The newer HS, W/W,A/A's are also steel based shells.

The newer AAHS hulls are NOT steel based hulls, they are real brass. I just went down to my reloading room and magnet tested 12, 20, 28 and .410 AAHS hulls and they are all brass. How I wish they made the AAHS in 16 gauge.

My Sizemasters in 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 resize both brass and steel "brass" hulls perfectly. I've never had a shell not chamber or stick in the chamber of any of the 11 shotguns my wife and I own, including our semi-autos or pump. I load 6 - 8,000 shells a year, mostly steel "brass", so I have a pretty good idea that I don't have an issue with sizing.