CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Primers in Rem. new primed hulls
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a bunch of Rem. Primers taken from plastic base 10 ga. Rem. SP hulls some years ago (bought from precision reloading). I was told these were Rem. 209P primers. I was later advised that I should not assume that they are 209Ps. Can anyone shead some lite on this? Did Rem. use a different primer in some of their factory loads or primed hulls?

Post subject: Re: Primers in Rem. new primed hulls
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

The factory primer is not the same as the one that can be bought OTC by consumers. A reliable source in the business verifies that Remington matches its primers to the powder and wad used in each load. The commercially available primer is different.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Those are definitely not 209P's or any other primer that Remington sells or sold over the counter. They are fairly hot, to ignite the slow rate powders. I worked at Precision back when those hulls were sold.

Gest has it right.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:31 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Like dogchaser37 stated, those are pretty hot primers, and definitely not the same as 209P's.

However, that doesn't preclude their use. Were it me, I would pick a load such as the 1 oz. Clays load listed in Hodgdons book. It lists using a Federal 209A primer with 16.9 grs. Clays and a WAASL wad in a AA case giving 1180 FPS and 9,000 PSI chamber pressure.

That 209A primer is one of the hottest primers available, so using those Rem. primers instead of the Federals, in a relatively mild load to start with, would not be a problem.

However, using them in higher pressure loads, and replacing them for a milder primer would not be prudent.

DLM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks. DLM's solution sounds like a good way to use them up.