CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BT-100, BT-99 Prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been looking for a BT-x trap gun. I have found some used guns, but some of the older ones are priced more than a new one.

I can buy a new plain jane BT-99 for about $1100. A new grade 3 with adjustable comb for about $1900. Yet I see used ones going for $1475 and $2300 respectively. I know the BT-100 has a higher rib and a removable trigger, but....

Is the quality of the older guns just better? Aren't they all trap guns? Am I missing something here?

If someone has the time to educate me about Browning BTs I would appreciate it. I want a single barrel trap gun with a price limit of around $2000 (or less).

Thanks,
Alan

NSSA Level 1 Skeet Instructor
NRA Certified RSO

Post subject: Re: BT-100, BT-99 Prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Alan....yes, most experienced trapshooters regard the older BT-99s as better than the newer models, but not more valuable. The BT-100's were produced for a few years and abandon by Browning. I owned several of both and liked the 100's better, but both models shot too low for me. I really liked the drop out trigger and was a release shooter then and still. The 100's market value has improved based on the limited amount of guns available. Add some cosmetics and the value goes up on both models, new or old.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I have bought alot of older BT-99,s for $650.00 but that was 5/6 years ago . Any time you see a 32 inch BT it will be cheaper .
Are the older BT,s better yes how much better I don,t really know . I only know if I were in the market for a BT-99 it wouild be an older gun .

I do see some nice/clean older BT-99,s selling for alot more then I would pay today . If you can buy an older BT 34 inch in good condition for around $900 bucks buy it .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I prefer the beaver tail forearm with finger grooves. These are becoming more rare.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

I bought a BT-99 with laminated stock,adjustable comb with a 34" barrel.It was a 2006 model and I gave $900.00 for it two years ago.There is a picture of it on this site some where.The gun still shoots well.I will never wear it out.
Doug (Rastoff) posted the picture for me.....he still may have it.
What I am saying, there are some good buys out there if you keep looking.I would not give over $900.00 for one with all the extras on it.....they are great guns
salesrep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was in the BT-99 market for quite a while, passed on the new guns at Sportmans Warehouse because they are just ugly at best. Quality fit and finish is not in the new production gun for me anyhow. I found a number(s) matching two barrel gun with the long tang mfg. in 1979 (Japan) overall in 95% with all the bells and whistles. Adj. comb, adj. pad, ported, backbored, lenghtened forcing cones, recoil reducer in stock and priced at $750. I am someplace between the 3rd and 200th owner and couldn't be happier. I shoot it better at trap than any other gun I own. Prior to the BT 99 I was shooting a 391 which hasen't seen the light of day since.

Your local trap club and fellow shooters will be your best source for a used BT-99, some will be priced above market value and still be for sale next year others priced to sell. For me the old school stuff makes me pucker up. :D

TM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

I currently have a few BT-99 trap guns.

Other than youth models, all have 34 inch barrels.

Half are modern Invector Plus screw-in choke models. One with factory adjustable-comb. One youth model with aftermarket adjustable-comb and RAD-II recoil system. Others have conventional plain stocks.

The other half are older models with fixed chokes -- Full, Improved-Modified, and Modified choke.

My kids always shoot the new ones. When I shoot a BT-99, it is almost always one of the old ones.

The BT-99 is the best shotgun for someone's first try at shooting thrown clay targets. So simple to operate.

You never know when guests will come over and how many there will be. You have to be prepared. In September think there were five young foreign engineers visiting at one time. They spent one whole afternoon shooting trap in the back yard.

Whenever I see an older BT-99 in really good shape at a reasonable price, I try to find a way to bring it home. $700 is a common price. New ones can sometimes be bought for under $1,000. Older Citori trap models can be bought from $600 to $900 in very good to excellent condition.

When I can, try to bring home older 1911 pistols, S&W 29s, and Super Blackhawks too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Salesrep's BT-99 Laminate:

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:35 am 
Crown Grade

Tin Man wrote:
Prior to the BT 99 I was shooting a 391 which hasen't seen the light of day since. TM

Sounds like that 391 needs a new home....wanna' sell it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mudpack wrote:
Sounds like that 391 needs a new home....wanna' sell it?

No, it's happy sleeping in the safe with it's friends, besides it would break up the pair as I have one in 20 ga. that's just fun to shoot.

TM