CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning A-5 Magnum 12ga.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Browning A-5 magnum and was wondering if you can use a standard A-5 spring so that the gun will function with light target loads? Can the friction rings be arranged to do this? It's a nice gun and it would be great to play with shooting clay birds.

Post subject: Re: Browning A-5 Magnum 12ga.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes but you will also need the light twelve bronze friction piece. It and the spring makes every thing long enough to work. I shot a mag twelve with that set up for years.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, will look for needed parts.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:32 pm 
Utility Grade

It's my understanding that you can remove one of the two friction rings from the magnum and it will cycle light loads. You might try that first...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:44 pm 
Crown Grade

STEVE IN SOCAL wrote:
It's my understanding that you can remove one of the two friction rings from the magnum and it will cycle light loads. You might try that first...
That would be a miss-understanding. The Magnum Twelve and Twenty are not ment to handle "light" loads.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

It would seem that the main difference between the magnum 12 and non-magnum A-5 is the recoil spring and friction rings etc. I believe all else is pretty much the same. If I am wrong please set me straight. I would like to be able to use this gun more often for different purposes but having to shoot heavy loads when not needed is far from enjoyable. Thanks to all for comments. Walt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Mag has the mag ring farther forward than the Standard A5, I has the Mag and thinking of getting a new spring and use the old spring to take a coil off to try it for light loads.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:38 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

glshop20 wrote:
It would seem that the main difference between the magnum 12 and non-magnum A-5 is the recoil spring and friction rings etc. I believe all else is pretty much the same.

The main difference is the 3 inch chamber and the additional barrel movement required to cycle the action. The receiver is different, the barrels are different, etc. A well-shot in A-5 Mag may (or may not) shoot 1-1/8 oz. loads. Some have said 1 oz. is no problem and I suppose there are a few that claim you can you use popper loads. Generally (not always) the Belgian guns can cycle lighter loads as their barrels are lighter. If you slobber up the magazine tube with Breakfree (or your favorite super duper lube) you can generally shoot lighter loads. It is all trial and error and some guns will, some won't.

None of them are actually supposed to work with target loads.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:41 am 
Field Grade

A5Mag12 wrote:
STEVE IN SOCAL wrote:
That would be a miss-understanding. The Magnum Twelve and Twenty are not ment to handle "light" loads.

My 12 ga. mag has factory friction rings settings for light loads pasted inside the forearm. It shoots a variety of ammunition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

24K Sports wrote:
My 12 ga. mag has factory friction rings settings for light loads pasted inside the forearm. It shoots a variety of ammunition.

No Sir, it does not. 2-3/4 in. magnum loads or "high velocity loads," 3 inch steel loads, but certainly not light or target loads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:21 am 
Crown Grade

24K Sports wrote:
A5Mag12 wrote:
STEVE IN SOCAL wrote:

{F* What Randy said.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:16 pm 

How light is light? My Mag 12 (Japan) will cycle the faster 1oz field loads at 1,290fps. That's in the light setting and a very light coating of oil on the magazine tube just like described in my manual. I don't see the need for using anything lighter than that for clays use out of any of my auto loaders. This load won't eject with both set of rings installed and works well for trap set this way.

Anything lighter, and the gun does not cycle reliably.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:24 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Yours might-- none of mine ever have. In fact, I currently have three A-5 20 Mags-- none will cycle will less than 1 oz. loads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 pm 

My buddies Mag 12 (Japan) would also. The fact that the A-5 is Long Recoil operated is enough to understand that light load cycling is inconsistent from gun to gun compared to other designs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 am 
Field Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
24K Sports wrote:

No Sir, it does not. 2-3/4 in. magnum loads or "high velocity loads," 3 inch steel loads, but certainly not light or target loads.

In the first place, the info pasted in my forestock was put there at the factory and does not reference settings 2 3/4 mag (high velocity) loads or steel shot (sounds like info for a Japanese A5) - my info depicts settings for light and heavy loads. Your info posted looks as if it was taken from a manual. In the second place, respectfully :shock: , you don't know jack about my shotgun. My 12 ga. shotgun will fire and eject RIO and Estate target loads ($6.00 a box variety of ammo) consistantly. I am referencing factory loads not home brews. YMMV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The idea that "hey, you don't know jack about my shotgun" doesn't really help. Have you shot the original poster's shotgun? :roll:

The "A-5 Mag" question comes up dozens of times per year. As to what an individual A-5 Mag cycles with or doesn't cycle with . . . pretty easy to find out, just go shoot it. That's one thing the internet isn't needed for.

A-5 Mags were designed specifically to shoot three inch lead loads all day long. This is one gun where the word "Magnum" actually means something. As far as 1 oz. loads, most new standardweight or Light 12's won't cycle them right out of the box. Break them in a little bit, add a couple of drops of Breakfree CLP to the magazine tube, you're good to go. If you want to shoot wimpy target loads, an A-5 Mag is the wrong gun. If one gun cycles them, hooray, but they aren't designed to. They made over 1-1/2 million 2-3/4 in. chambered A-5's to shoot 2-3/4 in. shells.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:48 am 
Crown Grade

24K Sports wrote:

In the first place, the info pasted in my forestock was put there at the factory and does not reference settings 2 3/4 mag (high velocity) loads or steel shot (sounds like info for a Japanese A5) - my info depicts settings for light and heavy loads. Your info posted looks as if it was taken from a manual. In the second place, respectfully :shock: , you don't know jack about my shotgun. My 12 ga. shotgun will fire and eject RIO and Estate target loads ($6.00 a box variety of ammo) consistantly. I am referencing factory loads not home brews. YMMV
If your gun is a Belgian Mag-12 Auto-5 the sticker has settings for 3" magnum loads and a setting for 2 3/4" heavy loads. The word light is no where on it. If your sticker has a setting for "Light Loads" then the sticker is from a 2 3/4" only gun either a Light or Standard 12.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:29 pm 
Crown Grade

The forearm sticker for a Belgian (and some of the first Miroku ones) Mag 12.

The word "Light" is nowhere to be found.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 am 
Tournament Grade

The variables here are the mileage on the spring and friction piece as well as the weight of the barrel. I currently own 4 mag 12's-two Belgium and two Japanese. Only one has been heavily used, and it is the only one that will RELIABLY cycle loads containing under 1.25 ounces of shot. If I take that gun's spring and rings ("lighter setting") and put them on any of the other three guns, they will cycle the lighter loads as well. It also helps if the barrel is a plain 26" Belgium-made tube. I don't think it matters where the receiver was made. I use A5 magnums almost excusively when hunting waterfowl, and I require reliability above all else in my hunting shotguns. This means I run at least 1.25 ounces of shot in my hunting loads (if you're going to shoot a 12 gauge, you might as well shoot a 12 gauge). Worc, I have seen your claims before and would not question your experience-it just differs from mine. Now to the OP's question. Yes I have had great success with all four of the guns cycling down to one ounce target loads with the standard/light A5 spring AND rings installed. This is a must if you are going to shoot clays in the off-season (in my opinion). No negatives as long as you are competent enough to keep your set-up tailored to your load selection.
Drew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:22 pm 
Field Grade

It may not be correct but if you take one of the friction rings off the A-5 mag will cycle light loads . My father has been dove hunting my hole life, I'm 41 with a 12 gage Belguim A-5 mag 32" full choke plain barrel with the cheapest loads you can buy and it eats them like candy. I have replaced all the springs on my mag A-5 with a rebuild kit from Midwest and it shoots light loads with one friction ring removed . Between he and I we have 15 A-5's light 12's and standard's and mags and if I want to shoot light load in a mag I take one of the rings off and go to town . This is the way I was tought and it works . Just letting you know you have an option .