CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoeger Uplander saftey problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:21 am 
Field Grade

I bought a Stoeger uplander supreme from a Sportsmans Wearhouse a couple of days ago. I took it home, Assembled it, no problem. Then I wanted to see if the saftey on it would work, it didn't, just made it a little harder to pull the trigger, and now the fireing pin wont go back in.
Has anyone else had this problem? and how do i fix it?

I never really planned to use the saftey anyways, cause i would just carry it around broken in half.

Thanks
Alex

Post subject: Re: Stoeger Uplander saftey problems
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Take the bloody thing back and either have them fix it, or replace the gun!! An incorrectly working safety is a major problem in my book and the gun shouldn't be shot till repaired.

Safety first!!

Dale

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:10 am 
Utility Grade

I have had a problem with my safety right out of the box too. The safety only engages effectively for one of the two triggers. The forward trigger is safely locked when the safety is engaged, but the rear trigger still releases the firing pin when pulled. The rear trigger does feel a little lighter than the forward one, so I'm assuming this sensitivity may have something to do with it. Still, a safety should positively prevent triggers from releasing the firing pins, shouldn't it?

Anybody else have this problem? Any help? I've written Stoeger asking for assistance...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ahhhhh,the joys of owning a Stoeger :D

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

The very first thing I would recommend would be to give it a good cleaning. I have a Stoeger O/U, not a S x S, but they should be similar... Remove the barrels first. Then if you remove the recoil pad, there should be a hole in the stock with a 10mm or 11mm nut at the bottom (don't remember which) that you can get to with a ratchet and a ~10" extension. This will remove the stock. With the stock removed, the entire workings of the action should be exposed. Now take it outside and use some action blaster (any kind of high pressure action cleaner/degreaser) and hose everything out. Let it thoroughly dry out (or better yet, spray it out with your air chuck) and then re-lube with a light coating of remoil (I like the aerosol stuff because it gets into all the tight spots). Remove all excess oil, and then re-assemble (just be careful not to overtighten the nut or you could crack the stock). See if the problem persists.

If it does persist, call the retailer you bought it from. They might be willing to exchange it for you or at least send the gun back to Stoeger for you at no charge (I know Dicks will do that if you ask nicely). If that doesn't go anywhere then call their customer service and try to get someone on the phone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

You are learning why some guns are worth more than others. Yes you should be able to get the problem fixed, but what will be the next issue? If the retailer is willing to take the gun back, I strongly suggest you get a gun with a better reputation. This would be your ONLY chance to get your money out of this gun. Used they aren't worth much and you are learning first hand why that is. I really doubt you will be able to return the gun for exchange however, the store that sold the gun did not manufacture it and will not have warranty responsibility for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Step one: return junk gun
Step two: buy a gun thats not junk.
Problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:08 am 
Tournament Grade

clink83 wrote:
Problem solved.

:( What SxS would you recommend under the $450 mark that isn't "junk"?

Clean the grease out of the action. The stuff they put in there at the factory gets really gummy, so make sure something isn't just sticking where it isn't supposed to. If that doesn't work, go back to the retailer and see what they will do. If not, I am sure Stoeger will take care of it.

Amongst my SGs I have a Stoeger O/U thats had thousands of rounds through it shooting sporting clays, spent a few years bouncing around the bottom of my boat while waterfowling, has been dunked in the lake a time or two, and has withstood all manner of abuse. Not even once has it ever so much as misfired. Although I upgraded quite some time ago, that and my Browning BPS Stalker are my go-to guns when I am doing something that I deem my other guns too nice for (eg. hunting in heavy brush, crappy weather, anything to do with ducks, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:05 am 
Crown Grade

On page 46 of the latest CDNN catalog their are two possible solutions:

LC Smith repro at $899 or the CZ USA Bobwhite at $499.

Both are much better guns than the Stoeger. OK, one is twice the money but still under $900 for a double, and the other one is only $50 over your target price.

Plus GunBroker, GunsAmerica, etc., have lots of offerings of various used and LNIB SxS's that are better quality than the Stoeger.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:35 am 
Presentation Grade

If one only has $450 to spend they can't afford a double barrel. You can buy a quality pump for that. A double is meant to be an expensive, fine piece of sporting equipment. They are not meant to be utility guns. When you spends 3 to 4 thousand on a quality gun, these problems are rare and are fixed easily, not so with the $450 gun. If you can't or aren't willing to spend 3 grand on a gun, shoot a quality pump and save the frustration.

This honestly is the problem with America, everyone wants something for cheap. If I go to Wal-mart and buy a coat and it rips the first time out, oh well. You throw it in the garbage and buy new. If a seams comes out of my Filson coat, I send it back and they fix it. Of courts it cost 5 plus times more, but I never have to buy another coat and my son can wear it when I am too old to hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

The guy got a new gun... why in the world would anyone want to jump in and bash him for his purchase? Jeez... let the guy be happy about his purchase instead of making him feel bad because he didn't have big bucks to drop on something that costs 8x more. I'm sure his problem will get resolved and he'll have a fine gun to shoot. If he wears it out, well then he has earned an upgrade, and if he doesn't, well then he probably wasn't justified in spending the additional cash anyways.

Quote:
If one only has $450 to spend they can't afford a double barrel. You can buy a quality pump for that. A double is meant to be an expensive, fine piece of sporting equipment. They are not meant to be utility guns. If you can't or aren't willing to spend 3 grand on a gun, shoot a quality pump and save the frustration.... This honestly is the problem with America, everyone wants something for cheap.

Just so I understand, what you are saying is since one can't afford a Audi R8 (a fine European sports car) one should relegate themselves to a minivan? A Ford Mustang is an inferior piece of junk and will probably break down, therefore one should forego their desire to drive a sports car until they are willing or able to purchase a real one? Likewise, what if one can't afford a quality pump (by which I assume you mean a BPS or Ithaca or the like)? Well I guess

I guess I can't afford one either, so instead I'll sit around envying those who are in a better station than myself. If I am lucky perhaps they will let me be the dog and flush birds for them so I can watch them shoot while I lament my deplorable middle class existence...

The problem with America is that nobody has their priorities straight. Instead of focusing on NEEDS we purchase status symbols and toys, which is exactly what a $3,000 shotgun is. You can justify your purchase any way you want and I sincerely hope you are happy with your decision. At the end of the day you pull the trigger, a firing pin hits the primer, powder burns creating pressure, which forces a plastic cup containing shot out of the plastic hull and down the barrel. Shells go in one end, pellets come out the other. It doesn't cost three grand to do that, and there is no reason a "utility" gun can't be made with two barrels for a reasonable price even here in the land of minimum wage and labor unions. Let the guy be happy about his purchase and enjoy the sport instead of looking down your nose at his decision.

To the OP, if you haven't been scared off, please let us know how the situation turns out, and I hope you enjoy your new shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW where requests for useful information frequently become a gun bashing contest, especially whenever an "inexpensive" gun is the topic of discussion.

Having been an active participant in the "Stoeger Wars" this spring, I suggest you not pay these self-declared experts too much mind. There's nothing you can say or do that will change their opinions.

The best I've able to accomplish is a grudging acceptance that CZ/Huglu and Lanbers are decent, entry-level, recreational O/U's. They seem to be a lot more accepting of less expensive SA's for some strange reason. It's O/U's that bring out the flames.

Hang in there!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:31 pm 
Crown Grade

There is a reason cheap shotguns are cheap. The same thing goes for tools, cars, washing machines, beef steaks, work boots, chainsaws, socks and false teeth. Do I need to mention whiskeys to really prove my point?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 pm 
Crown Grade

And the reason is.........?

I know, you never buy imported goods from China.

P.S. Is Jack Daniels really worth 2X as much as Evan Williams?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
I suggest you not pay these self-declared experts too much mind. There's nothing you can say or do that will change their opinions.

I agree whole-heartedly. I've been around the interwebs long enough to know better than to get involved in this kind of nonsense, but I took this one a little bit personally. I've been on both sides of the fence economically... "cheap" for one person is a lot of money for another. Seems like in every double gun post I read someone comes in and sets an arbitrary "You can't purchase a good double for less than $x" floor, which I assume is directly proportional to what their personal preference or ownership is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Mauszer wrote:
clink83 wrote:
Problem solved.

:( What SxS would you recommend under the $450 mark that isn't "junk"?

Clean the grease out of the action. The stuff they put in there at the factory gets really gummy, so make sure something isn't just sticking where it isn't supposed to. If that doesn't work, go back to the retailer and see what they will do. If not, I am sure Stoeger will take care of it.

Amongst my SGs I have a Stoeger O/U thats had thousands of rounds through it shooting sporting clays, spent a few years bouncing around the bottom of my boat while waterfowling, has been dunked in the lake a time or two, and has withstood all manner of abuse. Not even once has it ever so much as misfired. Although I upgraded quite some time ago, that and my Browning BPS Stalker are my go-to guns when I am doing something that I deem my other guns too nice for (eg. hunting in heavy brush, crappy weather, anything to do with ducks, etc.).

I have a 500 dollar Miroku made Charles Daly 500..how is that for a start?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ImageImageO goodie here we do AGAIN :lol:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:57 am 
Crown Grade

I would take the stock off and flush out the internals with brake cleaner and have a look at what's going on in there. It's not that complicated. You should be able to get it going yourself. My condor was in BAD need of this type of cleaning when I first got it home.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:24 am 
Field Grade

GrizzlyAlan wrote:
P.S. Is Jack Daniels really worth 2X as much as Evan Williams?

No it's not....but Pendleton is! :mrgreen:

Please let us know if your problem gets resolved. I am also looking for a moderately priced double gun to hunt grouse with, like a Stoeger, CZ, etc. or used higher end guns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:26 am 
Crown Grade

I'm looking for a new hunting vehicle, a Hyundai Accent is a lot cheaper than a Ford F-250, won't it just as good?