CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 - Carrier Release Problem
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 am 
Utility Grade

Picked up a used 1100 a couple of months ago. Based on the lack of wear on the receiver rails and magazine tube (along with the external finish), this one has seen little use over the last 30 years. But it has an annoying problem with the carrier release.

There is a very small amount of lateral play (about 1/32 inch) in the carrier release. In other words, the carrier release can move laterally along it's pin. I can move it with my finger and it will move itself over the course of about 10 rounds. When it moves, the carrier release tab will no longer contact the carrier latch. At that point, the carrier release button cannot be activated and I have to manually open the bolt (if it's not already open), reach into the receiver through the ejection port and trip the carrier latch with my finger. Once it has been tripped, I can then use my fingers to ever so slightly slide the carrier release in the opposite direction. Once I slide it back into place, I'm good to go for about another 10 rounds.

I am assuming that the carrier release and pin need to be replaced. Or possibly the entire carrier assembly. However, I wanted to check with the folks on the forum to see if there is anything else that could be causing the problem. I have tried to bend the carrier release tab, but it is made of some pretty hard metal and I finally gave up. I didn't want to accidentally bend the entire carrier or some of the other small parts. I also tried to drift out the carrier release pin, but it seems to be peened in place. Once again, I was afraid to bang on it too hard because I didn't want to damage some other part of the carrier or trigger group.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
AKC

Post subject: Remington 1100 - Carrier Release Problem
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hate to "go ugly early," but sometimes that's the best route.

My older 1100 had similar "minor" carrier issues, which were causing similar problems.

Now I don't mind tinkering with guns, so I kept trying to tinker, and the gun kept jamming. It was almost enough to make me start considering all the nonsense about 1100s being difficult to maintain.

Finally I ordered a new carrier from Remington for a whopping $36. On a whim I chose the "comp" (competition) model with the longer carrier release, since was the same price. The shipping was $12 no matter how much I bought, so I ordered some other spares I thought I might need.

Attached the new carrier to the trigger group, dropped it in, and it has worked perfectly for 5000+ rounds since. That comp carrier loads so slick it's not even funny.

While you have the trigger group out, if you are having any trouble with your feed latch falling out, forget the staking, and glue it in with any epoxy. God, what a sanity saver that little SGW hint was!

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 - Carrier Release Problem
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:53 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks nody. I was thinking a new carrier assembly was the way to go. But I just wanted to double check. Yeah, the prices from both Remington and Numrich are really good; around $30 (plus shipping) gets you a brand new carrier assembly. Can't beat it.

Now my next question: How hard is it to remove and replace the carrier assembly? To give you an idea of my abilities, I can easily strip the 1100 down to the trigger group (including piston, seal, action bar assembly, bolt), but I've never detached the carrier assembly. Also never detached the carrier on my 870, although I've had it stripped down to the trigger group about a hundred times over the 25 years that I've owned it. Does anyone have a link to an illustrated "how to" on the carrier assembly.

And thanks for the reminder on the shell latch. No problems with the shell latch on the 1100, but I wrestled with a loose shell latch on the 870 for a couple of years. Every time I removed the trigger group, the shell latch would fall out. It's an aggravation, but not that difficult to deal with. I never had any real problems putting the latch and trigger group back in place. I finally took it to a smith and had him stake it back in place. Cost me a grand sum of $25. :) :) :)

Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From your description, i would say replace the carrier assembly. When these things, especially the carrier latch, get bent, it is a real hassle trying to get everything back to "right" ever again. Order a new carrier latch while you are at it to be sure. The pins aren't hard to get out at all. Just remember with all pins, take them "right out", until you are ready for them to be "left in".
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:27 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

More than likely you have a problem with the carrier latch, especially if you can tip it side to side.

info@dougsgunsmithshop.com
www.dougsgunsmithshop.com