CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stevens/Springfield 940E .410 tech help please.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 am 
Field Grade

I have an old Springfield model 940E single shot .410 that I want to give to my nephew. This is one of the side lever to open action models. The problem is the hammer is loose. except when cocked. Uncocked, one can wiggle it front to back and side to side. But it locks up tight when cocked. And fires normally/reliably.
My guess is that the pin that holds the hammer, and/or the hole through the hammer through which the pin goes, are worn. Numrich Arms list both parts.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Det ... &catid=955
My questions are:
Apparently the 940E was offered in all gauges. Would the same hammer & pin work in all models. IE: the .410?
Can someone provide me with a step by step process to change them out? I've done a fair amount of kitchen table gunsmithing. But like to try to obtain as much tech info as possible. It appears it shouldn't be too hard. But the springs on these might be tricky.
Any help appreciated. I would like to know the gun is absolutely safe for my nephew to use.

Post subject: Re: Stevens/Springfield 940E .410 tech help please.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:18 am 
Presentation Grade

The hammer and hammer pin appear only under single part numbers, so the same parts work for all gauges. However, the Numrich list notes that the hammer is sold out.

I don't think you have diagnosed the problem correctly, and the foregoing two parts are unlikely to correct the loosey-goosey hammer. The mainspring is a mousetrap design, and throws the hammer forward to hit the firing pin. I can't see from the diagram how the hammer has any rebound function, as is normal for these single shot shotguns.

Try this. With the gun uncocked, push forward on the hammer spur, and note if this makes the firing pin protrude through the breech face. If it does, the gun is inherently dangerous, and I would not use it or give it to anyone. A blow on the hammer could cause the gun to fire inadvertently.

I am not familiar with this model, so I can't help you on disassembly/assembly. It looks like it may turn out to be a PITA.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:03 pm 
Field Grade

The hammer will not contact/activate the firing pin unless trigger is pulled.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Then it should be safe to use it. My guess is that the hammer has always been loose when not in the cocked status. There is nothing to keep the hammer from sliding around on its pin.

This model is the result of a redesign when the bean counters at Savage decided that the M94 was to expensive to continue in production.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:40 am 
Field Grade

Thanks.