CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J. Stevens arms and tool co. sidelock shotgun.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm new to the forum and did not know how to attach the photos to the message, but I did post 4 photos on the photo board marked philinchaos. The only identifying marks are the manufacturer and the #'s 1265 on the splinter fore end and on the water table. I hear you guy's are the best. I was wondering model #, Date of manufacture, what do the horizontal stripes on the barrrels indicate and is it safe to shoot 1oz field loads.
Tha gun is rock solid and except for some minor pitting in the bore, is in great shape.
Thanks for your help,
philinchaos

Post subject: Re: J. Stevens arms and tool co. sidelock shotgun.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I can't tell from your pictures, what type of barrel tubes are screwed into those mono-bloc breeches.

The gun is the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. No. 250 if the tubes are high pressure steel. It is the No. 260 if they are Twist. It is the No. 270 if they are Damascus. And, it is a No. 280 if the tubes are Krupp Fluid Steel. The gun is from the period of J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. General Catalog No. 51 which I don't have in my collection. By General Catalog No. 52, which is said by "experts" to be circa 1906, Stevens had done away with the underbolt and these guns were bolted by a rotary bolt through the rib extension.

Before I'd shoot it with any loads, I'd want it inspected by a qualified double gun smith, not Joe S**t the 870 parts replacer down the street, and then I'd stick to low pressure reloads or specialty ammunition from the likes of RST -- http://www.rstshells.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:17 am 
Crown Grade

As far as I know, there is/are no serial number-year made tables for Stevens made shotguns. One can tell approximately when a Stevens made gun was made by the name on the gun. Stevens changed their name around during some periods. Also need to know any and all markings on the gun just as they are stamped with no changes or abbreviations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Researcher01 wrote:
I can't tell from your pictures, what type of barrel tubes are screwed into those mono-bloc breeches.

The gun is the J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. No. 250 if the tubes are high pressure steel. It is the No. 260 if they are Twist. It is the No. 270 if they are Damascus. And, it is a No. 280 if the tubes are Krupp Fluid Steel. The gun is from the period of J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. General Catalog No. 51 which I don't have in my collection. By General Catalog No. 52, which is said by "experts" to be circa 1906, Stevens had done away with the underbolt and these guns were bolted by a rotary bolt through the rib extension.

Before I'd shoot it with any loads, I'd want it inspected by a qualified double gun smith, not Joe S**t the 870 parts replacer down the street, and then I'd stick to low pressure reloads or specialty ammunition from the likes of RST -- http://www.rstshells.com/

Where the barrels are screwed into the mono block there is a thin knurled ring, 3" further down at the breech is another knurled ring. What puzzles me are the horizontal stripes that run the length of the barrels. I have never seen this before, is it an indicator of the type of steel the barrels are made of?
Thanks, philinchaos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

"horizontal stripes"

If it looks like this the barrels are Twist

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Drew Hause wrote:
"horizontal stripes"

If it looks like this the barrels are Twist

It looks nothing like that, it's not Damascus. If you look at the pictures I posted you can see that there are horizontal lines that run the entire length of the barrels. Damascus is a twist that goes in a spiral around the barrels, these are straight lines that run from where the are screwed in to the muzzell.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:46 pm 
Crown Grade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Here are the pictures --

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

I found this old thread while trying to find information about the old Stevens rabbit ear model 250 SxS and was blown away by the information and catalog pages that Researcher01 provided. The one I have is marked Model 250 on the bottom of the receiver - the word "Model" was embossed the same as the "J. Stevens A.&T. Co Chicopee Falls, Mass. U.S.A. Patent Applied For" on the left side, but the "250" appears to have been etched. This particular specimen is probably the combination of parts from several guns since there are 3 differing ID numbers: 9933 on the receiver/stock, 54114 on the forestock pieces, and 2512 on the barrel.

I also have several Stevens Model 311A (12, 16, 20, .410) all from, I think, the early to mid fifties that I'm trying to date. I thought I saw somewhere (memory is the second thing to go) that Stevens used a number/letter stamp to date the guns prior to using SN starting in 1964. Mine have all kinds of letters in circles on the different pieces (to keep them matched?) but all have a tiny circle with a number+letter on the outside bottom of the receiver. Is that the mark indicating date, and does anyone know of the correlation of the letter/number to production date?

Any information about the production of the Model 250 and Model 311A, particularly any advertisement or catalog pages for either or both would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:36 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the gun pics. Any catalog info for the 250 or 311As?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

The A to H suffixes to Stevens Model 311s (1948 to 1987) were never mentioned in the Savage/Stevens/Fox catalogues. Those suffixes come into play in the parts catalogues.

Here is the No. 250 from J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. General Catalog No. 51 --

Here is the No. 250 from J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. General Catalog No. 52 --

By J.Stevens Arms & Tool Co. General Catalog No. 52 (Revised Edition) the No. 250 was replaced by the No. 255 with chopper lump type barrels that J. Stevens went to --

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 pm 
Utility Grade

Please pardon my ignorance, but what are the dates for the Stevens General Catalogs Nos. 51, 52 ? Does anyone have information on, or an advertisement for, the 311A models?

Double J Farms