CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading Fiocchi Shells
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:22 pm 
Utility Grade

I am having difficulty reloading Fiocchi shells. They are Shooting Dynamics shells (translucent/clear). The crimp is very irregular. Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Reloading Fiocchi Shells
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Are they 6 or 8 point crimp?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:09 am 
Crown Grade

I quit reloading 16 ga. Fiocchi hulls because the started seperating from the brass on the 1st reload.

Are these new primed hulls, once fired or what?

If new hulls, I've had better success using 6 pt. crimps. 8 pt. just wouldn't crimp properly for me. If once fired, make sure your crimp starter is correct. 6 pt. starter for 6 pt hulls or 8 pt. starter for 8 pt. hulls.

Other than that, you might give us the actual recipe you are using. There might be a component issue?

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Are the hulls skived?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Are they your only source of hulls? IMHO the Remington Unibody hulls are the only hulls worth reloading. All others go into file 13.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 am 
Utility Grade

Ok, you point out one obvious problem already...I must be using an 8 point crimper for 6 point crimped hulls. (I honesly didn't know there was a difference....just getting started in this.) I presume another crimp starter must be purchased?

These shells have been fired once. Here's the receipe:

Hodgdon Clays: 17.5 gr
1 oz lead
Spitfire wads (sold by ballistic products, manufactured by Guilandi)
Fiocchi .209 type primers

Using a MEC9000G reloader. As it is currently set up (ie as out of the box) I've managed to make about 2500 nice looking/shooting winchester AA reloads.

Don't see any evidence of skiving, though not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Bluebear wrote:
Ok, you point out one obvious problem already...I must be using an 8 point crimper for 6 point crimped hulls. (I honesly didn't know there was a difference....just getting started in this.) I presume another crimp starter must be purchased? Sounds like you bought a new machine. If so, it came with both crimp starters. Look in a plastic bag with spare parts. MEC crimp starters just snap off and on. Using the 6 pt. starter will probably cure the problem.

1 oz lead

I'm not familiar with the Spitfire wad. Is it designed as a 1 oz. wad?
Using a MEC9000G reloader. As it is currently set up (ie as out of the box) I've managed to make about 2500 nice looking/shooting winchester AA reloads.

Don't see any evidence of skiving, though not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Skiving is a tapered thinning of the case mouth. This is usually only an issue when buying new, preprimed hulls, and should not have any effect when reloading once fired hulls.

Thanks!

Find and try the 6 pt. crimp and let us know if that solves the problem.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

bprater wrote:
Bluebear wrote:
Ok, you point out one obvious problem already...I must be using an 8 point crimper for 6 point crimped hulls. (I honesly didn't know there was a difference....just getting started in this.) I presume another crimp starter must be purchased? Sounds like you bought a new machine. If so, it came with both crimp starters. Look in a plastic bag with spare parts. MEC crimp starters just snap off and on. Using the 6 pt. starter will probably cure the problem.

1 oz lead

Don't see any evidence of skiving, though not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Skiving is a tapered thinning of the case mouth, making it easier to crimp on the first loading. This is usually only an issue when buying new, preprimed hulls, and should not have any effect when reloading once fired hulls.

Thanks!

Find and try the 6 pt. crimp starter and let us know if that solves the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Bluebear:
Since you are new to the forum and you did not know about 6 vs 8 point crimp starters I am assuming you are just learning about reloading. I apologize if this is a bad assumption. There are a couple of things that you may be unaware of:

WWAA and Fiocchi hulls are different in many respects. In fact other than they are both plastic you could not pick two much further apart. The AA has a tapered wall and the Fiocchi is a straight wall. This means that usually (but with some exceptions) you would need a different type wads for them.

Fiocchi hulls have quite a lot of internal volume and AA's have about the least volume of any popular hull. A wad, powder, shot combo that fits in an AA nicely and allows you to get a nice crimp is not going to be big enough to fill up a Fiocchi hull. You will probably get lousy crimps.

None of this is mean to imply Fiocchi's or AA's are good or bad or better or worse. They are just different and take different components, different recipes, and different adjustments on the press.

Lots of guys do jump right in and get a progressive press like a 9000. They will turn out a lot of nice looking shells pretty darned fast IF THEY ARE SET UP RIGHT. It does take some time and effort to get it set up right. It is much easier to set up something like a 6oojr. Almost any press will take some readjustment when switching from an AA to a Fiocchi.

One possible approach and one used by many on this site: Pick a hull and load or loads that you like. If it is AA for you, fine. Set your 9000 (or Hornady 366, or PW) up for this load and load primarily this. If you want to load a few Fiocchis or anything else that is not similar to your primary load get on E-Bay and pick up a 600jr for $70-80. It is pretty easy to set one of these up for about anything. If you do pick AA and set your press up for them I think you will find that you can switch to Remingtons with some pretty minor tweaks.

One final hint:
I have not checked the pricing for the wad you specify but have a strong suspicion there are other choices out there that will save you some money. Claybuster, Down Range, Windjammer, and Duster all make wads that are fine for one ounce of shot and 17-18 grains of Clays.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:20 pm 
Crown Grade

bprater wrote:

The Spitfire wad is BPI's name for the Gualandi GU-1225, - a 1 ounce wad. A year or so ago, your could get a case of 5,000 delivered to your door step for $107. BPI has since changed their pricing.

Since then, S+S out of Florida has been selling the Denmark Harpun HW-120 1-oz wad for $109 per 5000 count case to your door (free domestic shipping) making them a slightly cheaper alternative to even the Claybuster CB2100-12 (12S0 clone) from Recob (shipped to Seattle). They can be ordered at: http://wads4u.com/12-ga-Lead_c2.htm

The Harpun HW-120 from S+S, and the GU-1225 (Spitfire) from BPI are shown here:

Legend (left to right): Harpun HW-120 from S+S, Spitfire (GU-1225) from BPI

There were three different height base wads used in the Fiocchi hulls, with the most recent (and most common) one being 7mm. I believe all clear/translucent hulls are of the 7mm variety.

When using 18-20 gn's of Clays, and either the HW-120, or the Spitfire GU-1225 (or even the Claybuster CB6100-12), you will not have to make any press adjustments to your MEC when switching between the Remington's with ~17-18 gn's of Clays and the Green duster and most other 1-oz wads.

Your crimps should look like this:

The Fiocchi's are great hulls to reload, and there is no reason not to reload them.

Also, 17.5 gn's is too light for this load in my opinion, - run that up to at least 19 gn's. I load 20.0 gn's of Clays, but I also load them for a Benelli Cordoba, and so I wanted a hotter load to cycle the Inertia-driven action with heavy clothing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:44 am 
Diamond Grade

Still Eurotrash, IMHO. Not worth messing with unless you can't find Remington Unibody hulls. Again, IMHO, just because you 'can' does not mean you 'should'.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:48 am 

Looks like a smidge more taper crimper is in order. {hs#

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fiocchi makes a great factory shell, but they best thing to reload with them with is a garbage can.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
Looks like a smidge more taper crimper is in order.

Yeah. Those were old photo's. Not sure that I got much more rounding on the finishing crimp now, but these should be a little better as they are more recent:

drsfmd wrote:
, but they best thing to reload with them with is a garbage can.

And I appreciate folks who take this attitude towards them, - otherwise I'd never get any Fiocchi hulls to reload. Make sure you guys toss the orange Fiocchi's too, - my supply of them is getting low, and I like the orange ones bet of all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Republican, it's been 5 or 6 years since I've seen the orange ones... but you're welcome to come to my club any time if you want to take away white ones by the garbage bag full...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

drsfmd wrote:
but you're welcome to come to my club any time if you want to take away white ones by the garbage bag full...

Awesome. I'll PM you for the contact/club information.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

The purple Fiocchis are one of my favorites to reload although due to opinion printed in this forum I am tossing them after three loadings.
That and I am color coding different loads now.

Frederick Douglass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the great info! Another related question...I have a few Remington's that are fired once which I'm unsure about reloading. They are OD green military issue hulls previously loaded with 1 and 1/8th oz #9 shot. When I run it through the mech with clay buster cb1100-12 wads, an ounce of #7.5 lead, and 18 gr of clays, the crimp looks very nice. Would you have any reservations about using these?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:59 pm 
Crown Grade

BB -

I'd cut one of them open and make sure it is a taper hull, just like all the STS, Gun Club, etc. If so, I'd have no reservations what so ever.

A very few Rem hulls were not tapered, one-piece hulls. Due to fact that your loads look good, I'd guess the components fit right and they probably are taper hulls, but it pays to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 am 
Utility Grade

Great info...thanks!