CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rifled invector plus choke ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:28 am 
Limited Edition

First is this choke for smoothbores or rifled barrels ?
If it is for smoothbore i was wondering if it is worth it to get the rifled extended choke for shooting sabot slugs out of my bps ? I am trying to get some sort of accuracy gain over the foster type slug. Is there enough rifling to make a difference or is it better just to stick with the rifled slugs ?

A FIB is what our cheesehead neighbors to the north refer to us Illinois residents as. FIB=Blankin Illinois Blanks !

Post subject: Re: rifled invector plus choke ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:06 pm 
Are you speaking of the Midas tube? All Browning Midas tubes are made by Briley and this is refered to a Diffusion choke by Briley at .005 constriction with rifling. This choke is not made for slugs but made to strip/spin the wad off of a standard load to "spread" shot wide for close targets in Sporting Clays and Skeet. I use this choke often for Sporting Clays and it works well out to 25 yards with 8 or 9 shot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:20 pm 
Limited Edition

i am speaking of the browning brand invector plus extended rifled choke tube.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... e_id=38759

A FIB is what our cheesehead neighbors to the north refer to us Illinois residents as. FIB=Blankin Illinois Blanks !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:26 pm 
Crown Grade

The choke is to allow the use of sabots in a smooth bore barrel. I wonder on how effective it would be, I don't have any idea if the base of a sabot has a skirt that would expand to fill the bore like a normal shotshell wad. That is one reason the dedicated Browning slug guns come with standard diameter bores and not the larger Invector+. I guess the only option is to buy it and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:07 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't have any experience, but wouldn't significantly slow down the slug? For the choke to produce any spin on the slug it has to constrict it fairly hard. Also, I would think that rifled slugs would produce more/stable spin. JMO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

The Diffusion is NOT a slug choke it was designed for shot. The Browning Express Sabot Rifled Choke Tube is a totally different animal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:04 pm 
Limited Edition

i just checked out the rifled chokes today at gander and I am wondering if there is enough twist in the choke. there is maybe only 1/4" of twist in the whole length of the extended choke. would that even impart enough spin on a sabot to make it acurate r should i just stick with foster slugs ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have one of the rifled choke tubes for shooting sabot slugs. Actually one of my buddies is borrowing right now.

Anyway a few things about it. It is designed for shooting slugs like the winchester BRI type slugs and the lightfield slugs.

It is not designed for shooting the winchester paltimun tips or similar type slugs that are basically a large caliber handgun bullet in a sabot.

Now for the results. Using open sights (tru glo gobble dot magnum fiber optics)I shot groups using the lighfields and Winchester BRI slugs at 50 yards and they grouped about 3 inches. Thats using a Browning BPS stalker with 24 inch barrel, using a sandbag.

I don't know what the BPS would do if I put an IC or cylinder smooth choke tube in it and shot foster type slugs.

the BPS and me are not getting along very well right now. I think it is a personal preference and gun fit thing.

I have a smoothbore 870 with 20 inch barrel with rifle sights that shoots foster type slugs about the same sized groups at 50 yards.

I hope that helps some.