CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting High with Browning BPS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:45 pm 
Field Grade

Guys I need a little direction, I am in the process of trying to get the wife's Bps fitted to her, since we do not have access to a professional fitter we are doing
It ourselves. We are sure the gun is shooting high for her but not sure how to or how much to adjust. Also does Browning make shims for the bps?
Thanks for the info
Ken

Post subject: Re: Shooting High with Browning BPS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How high above point of aim is the center of the pattern? Is she keeping her head down on the stock, and is she getting the gun up into the shoulder pocket high enough? These are all questions that others are going to ask, so I thought I'd be the first. Now for my thoughts.

We had trouble getting a shotgun to fit my wife (she is short and required a youth size gun). Finally, we found that a stock 870 youth is just about perfect. One of the problems was that the toe of the stock on most guns was hurting her when she shot, so she was holding the gun down lower on her shoulder because it was more comfortable (they are made just a little different if you will notice). The result was that she was looking down on the barrel and shooting high. When we got one that fit her better she could shoulder it up higher and shoot straighter. You might want to try putting a couple of washers around the bottom screw of the but pad, between the pad and the stock. Play with the thickness until it fits her better and see if it helps. If it does, you can then buy a pitch adjusting spacer to put between the pad and the stock.

This may not be her problem at all, but it helped my wife with a similar situation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ken,

The gun is probably shooting high due to what Colonel26 wrote - your wife is looking down-onto the rib rather than along its surface. The question is why?

Hoow tall is your wife?
How much does she weigh?

Answers to those questions will help us help you fit the gun to your wife.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ken listen to Mr. Oswald. He is the expert, it was through his posts that we figured out what my wife's problem was.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:28 am 
Crown Grade

Get Rollin's book and read it a few times. Make sure you have adjusted the pitch before playing with the drop. Women often benefit from pitch adjustment due to the shape of their chest. The new eye position after pitch adjustment would likely require slightly different drop so that is why you do it first. Start by putting a few washers under the top of the recoil pad. Sanding down the toe on the recoil pad can also help. It is a slow process. You should figure out LOP. Now with the new eye position raise or lower the comb to dial in how high it shoots.

A kickeeze rocker pad works well instead of pitch adjustment and has a similar effect.

Maybe she is not mounting the gun far enough into her cheek because she is afraid of the recoil or lifting her head.