CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J. C. Higgins
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:44 am 
Field Grade

J. C. Higgins Model 583.10. 12 gauge Bolt action. Is there any way to pin point the date of mfg?

When it is shot the barrel and receiver will slide back in the stock. I ain't shot it yet , so I do not know if it slides far enough to hamper the trigger. I am going to try to repair this problem, although I know from experience, that it will not be a long term fix.

Is there any where that might sell a like new, fitted, stock?

There is a sentimental reason for me spending time on repairing this gun.

Thanks for any help.
Mule

Post subject: Re: J. C. Higgins
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:56 pm 
Crown Grade

I think perhaps you made a mistake in reading the model number or made a typo in sending it because there is no J.C. Higgins Model 583.12 listed. There is a Model 583.100 which is a barreled FN Mauser action and the next numbers are 583.13 thru .23 which are all High Standard Model 10 Auto Loader. Not sure but think that the barrel is supposed to recoil during firing and don't know what you mean by the stock (forearm or butt stock) I suggest you take the gun to a shotgun gunsmith for a check out. High Standard started making shotguns for Sears Roebuck in the 1940s. To know just when a particular gun was made we would have to know the serial number if there is one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:55 pm 
Field Grade

Ned Fall wrote:
I think perhaps you made a mistake in reading the model number or made a typo in sending it because there is no J.C. Higgins Model 583.12 listed. There is a Model 583.100 which is a barreled FN Mauser action and the next numbers are 583.13 thru .23 which are all High Standard Model 10 Auto Loader. Not sure but think that the barrel is supposed to recoil during firing and don't know what you mean by the stock (forearm or butt stock) I suggest you take the gun to a shotgun gunsmith for a check out. High Standard started making shotguns for Sears Roebuck in the 1940s. To know just when a particular gun was made we would have to know the serial number if there is one.

Ned, please reread. I typed it correctly, "583.10." What I did wrong was to start the next senentce with the number "12".
"J. C. Higgins Model 583.10. 12 gauge Bolt action." is what I typed.
J. C. Higgins Model 583.10, 12 gauge, bolt action., might of been a better way of typing it.
I'm sorry.

My Dad shot one identical to this one from 1946 till 1978. He supplied a large portion of the meat at our table, with it. Towards the end, his came down with the same disease that this one has. When fired all of the metal parts are forced, by recoil, back against the stock. Eventualy the wood is pounded back and the screw hole, where the stock is attached to the metal parts, is elongated.
My Dad fabricated, from hard wood, blocks to put in place of the pounded wood. It worked for a short while. This pounding takes place in the area where the cross screw is located in the stock, above and in line with the front of the trigger gaurd. The cross bolt helps keep the stock from splitting in that are from the pounding.

"I think", the stock weakens in that area because of oil soaking in, over the years. That is why I like to store my long guns with the muzzel down.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Your shotgun should be a version of the High Standard Model 514, made for Sears Roebuck, & recalled in the 1990's for safety issues. :shock:

While Numrich Arms (google) "might" have a stock, it's cost could well be more than the very low value of the gun, sentiment aside.

IOW - It should not be restored to shooting condition, for safety sake, since if you're not around, some innocent may try to use it.

I would remove the firing pin & hang it on the wall, if it had sentimental value.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:31 am 
Crown Grade

confederatemule
I failed to do what they taught us in the military and that was "Read the full (wasn't the word they used)
question" I misread what you wrote. One of my buddies said that he thinks a J.C. Higgins Model 583.10 is a gun that Sears recalled as being unsafe to shoot. Is the gun a bolt action repeater?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:35 am 
Field Grade

Yes, Sir, Ned, it is a bolt action repeater.

From what I could find out about the recall, 1- 1t didn't include the model 10, and, 2- the problem was caused by the bolt retaining screw backing out. There would have been no problem if the gun had been properly maintained. That is how I understand what I have found to read on the recall.

I won't shoot it if I am nervous about it. As a matter of fact, I firmly believe that if a person is nervous about doing something, then that person should not do it. But, I have always been too relaxed, but, in my old age, I am getting more, and more, cautious about thangs.

But....I don't know !

Thanks for your info, and I will do more searching on the recall.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:20 am 
Crown Grade

Your shotgun is not on the recall list. The list follows:

Sears Issues Voluntary Recall on J.C. Higgins Shotgun

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., March 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Sears, Roebuck and Co.
(NYSE: S) today announced a voluntary recall of J.C. Higgins Bolt Action
12-Gauge shotguns, a product manufactured for and sold by the company during
the 1950s.
The shotguns are being voluntary recalled due to a potential problem with
the bolt latch assembly, which could cause the assembly to fail allowing it to
dislodge and strike the operator in the face. Sears is offering a $160
finders' fee for the return of the bolt, making the shotgun inoperable.
The shotguns were sold in Sears stores and through its catalog as the
"J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge Model 10 Shotgun" during the 1950s. It was
carried under a number of product numbers: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16,
583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 and 583.22. The product model number
is engraved on the barrel of the shotgun.
Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the shotgun. Call
800-817-9165 for identification verification and instructions on return
procedures.
Sears, Roebuck and Co. discontinued the sale of all firearms and
ammunition in the early 1980s. Through its network of more than 830 full-line
stores and 2,500 off-the-mall stores, Sears is a leading retailer of apparel,
home and automotive products and services, serving more than 50 million
households.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53121&start=0#ixzz1gKm2wtvf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:08 am 
Field Grade

Albanygun, you are correct.

For all who might be interested, I just called Sears, pressed 1, and listened.
The recording makes it very clear as to which model 10, 12ga, bolt action shot guns are on the recall list. They are 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16, 583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21, 583.22.

Apparently, all model 10, 12ga, bolt action shot guns, before 583.13, or after 583.22, are not included in the recall.

Mine is not on the recall list.

I am sure the one my Dad had was not on the list. From what I have found, they were first sold in 1946. My Dad traded for his in 1946.

Can anyone tell me what year mine was manufactured?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a "Ted Williams" Sears shotgun that is a single shot 12 ga, break open gun with an exposed hammer. It is made is Brazil. Model is 282.xxxx I am guessing it was made sometime in the 1960s but not sure. The metal and wood are nice for a cheap shotgun. anyone have any idea of when this one was born?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:43 am 
Crown Grade

Need those last digits of the model number to pin down who made it. Probably an ERA shotgun. Blue Book does not list any single shots for ERA, so it may be difficult/impossible to find the year it was manufactured.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

On the Sears/HS bolt action 12 gauge recall......
it is my understanding that the issue with the bolt that initially caused the recall was the bolt retention screw.

The screw in question kept the bolt in the action when the bolt was opened and pulled to the rear....
the problem screw was the bolt travel stop.

If ignored, the screw could work loose and fall out.... then if you manually cycled the bolt too hard, the bolt would come out the rear of the gun. The action was extremely strong and the bolt would NOT open or come out during firing, only when the bolt was opened and pulled to the rear.

In theory, if you cycled the bolt too hard, it could slide out of the barrel extension and you could hit yourself in the face with it.
If you kept close tabs on the bolt retention screw or cycled the bolt with some finesse instead brute strength, it was a minor issue.

Unfortunately at least one shooter did manage to yank the bolt out of the gun and hit himself in the face with it and sued, thus the recall.