CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Victor Sarasqueta
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi folks,
I was hoping to get some information on one of my dad's shotguns. I know it's a Victor Sarasqueta, made in Eibar Spain. I know he had it shipped to him in 1967, though i'm not sure when it was built.
I also know that he had a 'Miller' trigger put into it. I do have the original trigger still though. He always kinda made a big deal about the Miller trigger and i'm not sure why. the paperwork says it's a model DH (one i can't find in the good book (blue book) i have), and it's a 12 guage.

the gun is not for sale and i know that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it :D

i'm wondering what something like this would go for, just rough guess, market value...i'm just wondering what i have, is all.

this all came about because a cousin of mine wanted to buy a rifle from me, and i had to get an assessment for that. while getting an assessment for the rifle, i've been taking this shotgun along and i'm getting nowhere with it. one 'assessor' even told me the mfg'er was 'Eibar' :(

BTW, the winchester pre-64 model 70 .243 rifle i had assessed didn't get sold either...didn't know what i had, so i'm keeping it.

it's a really cool gun, one my dad loved (he passed in 2005), and i'm glad i'm able to have it.
attached are some pics. any input would be cool.

http://s1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff395/petebal/

Thanks!
Pete

Post subject: Re: Victor Sarasqueta
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Good Morning Pete.
There are three Sarasqueta's listed. Felix, J.J. and Victor. Ubder Victor there are nine shotguns listed. Now the gun shown in the photographs is a hammerless side lock of which only one is listed. with seven variations. The gun is described as:
Hammerless Sidelock 12.16, 20, 28 gauges and .410 bore. Side by side, barrel length and chokes to order, straight English style stock, models differ as to engraving, grade of wood and overall quality. Add 25% for 28 gauge and add 30% for .410 bore.
The highest value (100% condition) for a Model 12E is $2,950 while the lowest value (60% condition) is for a Model 4 with extractors only is $360

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I doubt this gun will not be covered by any 'book' price list. The addition of the Miller single trigger along with two sets of barrels and the motor case makes it something special. :)

Had a look at online prices but could not find anything comparable. I would guess at least $5500 and upwards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:59 pm 
Crown Grade

petebal,

Are you sure your dad acquired the gun in 67? What are the first three digits of the serial number? Most of the Victor Sarasquetas produced during the 60's and 70's had number designated models ( 4, 5, 6, 6E, 7, 7E, etc.). After the firm was reorganized as Rifles Y Escopetas Especiales, S.A. dba Victor Sarasqueta during the 1980's, two letter designated models DW-E and DH-E replaced the earlier models 6/6E and 7/7E.

The engraving pattern of your gun appears similar to that of a Model 7/7E or the successor Model DH-E. IIRC, the model DH-E shares the same Holland scroll on the frame and sideplates and the same oak leaf design on the fences as the earlier models 7 and 7E (the model DW-E has the same pattern as the earlier models 6/6E). While some other models may appear to share identical engraving patterns, a close inspection will reveal differences, usually on the fences. Of course, bespoke guns could be ordered with patterns of the buyer's choice.

Although some Basque gunmakers offered single triggers, either selective or non, some of those triggers proved troublsome. I have seen one such example which was fortunately corrected by a gunsmith who had experience with Basque single triggers. That gun has functioned flawlessly since. Your dad may have opted for a Miller replacement for that reason.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:04 pm 
Utility Grade

folks, thank you for the feedback and kind words.

doppelflinten,
i'm positive that my dad picked up the gun from the Philadelphia airport in 1967. I talked to my mom this weekend, and she remembers it was prior to my sister and me being born, 'around' 1967. Also, all of the paperwork that came with the gun is postmarked 21 DIC 1967, which i think is December, 21st 1967 (my spanish is a bit rusty).

In the one image, you can't really make out on photobucket is of a small brown document folder, and on it is:
Escopeta: n. 181083 (means shotgun accoring to google)
Modelo: DH
Calibre: 12
Culata: Doble Canon

i also have other paperwork (those little yellow tags in the pic) with the same 'control' number on it:
CONTROL canon N. 181083

is that possibly the serial number?

the larger, square, white papers have much of this same information, and these are the papers with the postmarks on them (21 DIC 1967)...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The 2 square pieces of paper in the forefront of your 1st pic are the Proof House Certificates and these will be stamped with the proof date (21 Dec 67')

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:11 pm 
Crown Grade

petebal,

Interesting! The dates on the Proof House certificates confirm the DOM as 1967 as does, I believe, the serial number. S/N's for the 7/7E/DH models produced after the mid-1970's appear to be over 200,000. I find no mention of a DH model prior to the 1980's but, that's not to say that Don Victor didn't catalogue such a model prior to those years. The hidden third fastener may also be an indicator of a pre-1970's gun as this feature had been deleted from most models by then.

FWIW, Victor Sarasqueta would not be the first firm to rename an existing model.

You may want to send a PM to "viti" on the SGW Spanish gun forum. He corresponds from Spain, is knowledgeable about Basque guns and may have access to more information about your Model DH.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi