CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: importance of dominant eye
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:16 am 
Utility Grade

Hello, I am a newly registered user, I have been reading alot of the threads and have found them helpful. There is alot of accumulated knowledge within the membership here.
I have been away from shooting for a number of years, but have recently accepted a couple invitations to go trap shooting with a friend. I was never a great shot and trust me I haven't gotten better being away from it for 20 years. I am a right eye dominant left handed shooter age 50 years and my question is this
With practice would I be a better shooter right handed? Not only is my right eye dominant but over the years my left eye has gotten a quite a bit worse.
I have shouldered a gun on the right side and it feels a little ackward but something I am sure I could get used to.
Shooting right handed would also open me up to a number of guns not really designed for the lefty. What does everyone think?

Post subject: Re: importance of dominant eye
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

muskyman wrote:
Hello, I am a newly registered user, I have been reading alot of the threads and have found them helpful. There is alot of accumulated knowledge within the membership here.
I have been away from shooting for a number of years, but have recently accepted a couple invitations to go trap shooting with a friend. I was never a great shot and trust me I haven't gotten better being away from it for 20 years. I am a right eye dominant left handed shooter age 50 years and my question is this
With practice would I be a better shooter right handed? Not only is my right eye dominant but over the years my left eye has gotten a quite a bit worse.
I have shouldered a gun on the right side and it feels a little ackward but something I am sure I could get used to.
Shooting right handed would also open me up to a number of guns not really designed for the lefty. What does everyone think?

Welcome to the forum. This is a common problem and there are a few ways to attack it.

I am cross dominant and tried shooting to my off side it did not work for me. I have read that it works for some people and is the best solution if you can do it. It does take time to get comfortable. The solution I am going with is placing a small dot on my glasses of my dominant eye that keeps it from seeing the end of the barrel. Works very well and allows you to shoot with both eyes open.

If I shoot with one eye closed I tend to aim not point and I become less effective especially with crossing targets.

You can try this easily by using a part of a post it note to cover the correct spot on the lens..

I put a new spot on my glasses yesterday. I supported the end of the barrel shouldered the gun with the dominant eye closed until I was sure the site picture was correct the. Closed that eye and opened the dominant eye. I then placed a dot of scotch tape in the spot that blocked that eyes view of the end of the barrel. I used a dot a little smaller the a dime but the smallest you can get away with is probably best.

Search around there Are lots of threads on this subject.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Assuming that your right eye is considerably more dominant than your left and with the vision in your left eye being compromised, I believe shooting with your gun mounted on the right will have have better results than trying to deal with your cross dominance and a weaker eye on the left.

And with mounting your gun on the right shoulder feeling only "a little awkward," unless I have overlooked something that other members will introduce, I am conficent when I suggest that you switch to the right side.

With both eyes open, practice mounting your gun ten miuntes a day for a couple of weeks to get used to it. This will help develope muscle memory and a considstent gun mount, which is very important.

Mount your gun with the top of the recoil pad about an inch above your collarbone. When you shoot, stand natrually with your feet about shoulder-width apart. When trap shooting, stand natuarlly so that a line drawn across your toes would be parallel to a line drawn down station 5 from 16 to 27 yards. Use this stance on all five trap stations.

Ideally, you should mount the gun by bringing it to your shoulder and cheek - not mounting it and then lowering your cheek to the gun's comb (top surface of the stock). With the gun mounted adn your cheek snugly on the comb, your eye should be looking slightly down-onto the rib. This will make the pattern go slightly high compared to where the gun seems to be pointing. It will provide the slight vertical/forwqard lead required to break trap's rising targets.

After you mount the gun, look about 10 yards beyond the trap house. Do not focus on anything in particular. This is called a soft focus. You might start shooting trap with your gun pointing at the center of the trap houlse roof. You can favor the left and right sides of the house (depending on the station you're shooting from) after you have more shooting expereience.

Look at the rib ONLY after the gun is mounted to check the mount. If you are not looking slightly down-onto the rib as you did last time, dismount the gun and start over. Do not wiggle the gun into place to align your eye with the rib. If you have to do this, your gun doesn't fit you or your mount needs more work. Never glance back at the rib during swings. If you do, your swing will slow and you will shoot behind targets.

Call for a target and start you swing only after you see the target as a solid object and not just a streak. Try to swing smootly to overtake the target. Look at targets' leading edges -- really zeroing-in on the targets' lewading edge. Try to see the rings on them. This "centering" or "hard focusing" on targets will help your shootintg considerably (when you master it and remember to do ti).

Try to stay relaxed and most importantly, have fun.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible (gun-fitting & shooting form instruction for shooters)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I were you, given age 50 and 20 years off, I would definitely work on shooting from the right side. I have never tried to make such a switch, but I imagine it might take a year or so to get used to it. You will definitely be better off that way if you are right-eye dominant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the input, I will work on gun mount for the next week or so and then I will give it a whirl at the trap range,
After posting my original question I thought that an extra side bonus of learning to shotgun right handed would be an improvement in my abilities with a rifle as well.
I will let the group know how I make out.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bear in mind that I am new but I too am cross eye dominant.

Left eye dom, righty. I tried shooting on my right side with my left eye closed, left eye taped, both eyes open, etc. After shooting for about a month (with both eyes open) I was shooting in the high teens and twice hit 21.

I was happy w/ my scores but with both eyes open my left eye was taking over and when I missed I was never sure why. My sight picture was the target well to the left of my barrel. My barrel was aligned with my right eye. I knew I needed to change before too much time had elapsed.

I took a lesson with Bruce Ney and he convinced me I'll be better off in the long run switching to my left side. A few pointing exercises also made the point very clearly. I said "ok, I'm convinced" and had him bend my stock to better fit my impending left sided mount. There was no turning back now.....

So, I got the gun back Wednesday, took a lesson, worked on "looking through the barrel", my sight picture, and my mount.

My first day out was today and I shot 17 and 18. I'm thrilled. The change wasn't as bad as I thought, I hit about the same number as I was from my right side and when I missed I knew why.

I'm happy I switched to lefty and won't be switching back. I'm sure my scores will continue to improve.

Just my experience as one who also struggled with what to do about cross eye dominance.

Hope it helps.