CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 695 problem...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:20 am 
Field Grade

Hey folks,

I picked up a used but in great shape Mossberg 695 last year and have been to the range with it and have it dialed in at 100 yards with Federal Barnes Expander Accutips and a Leupold Grand Slam scope. Well during the last hour of the last day of firearms season in NYS I had a large doe come near my stand and I was able to pull the trigger on her three times...only problem is the gun went click each time. I tried the first round two times then ejected it and chambered a new shell only to get a click on that as well. After that the deer was in too much cover for a shot and it was then past sunset. When I got out of the woods I checked the ejected round with two clicks on it and it has a light hit on the primer. I checked the other round I pulled the trigger on once and it didn't have any signs of being hit at all. Now this is my first slug gun and I am not much of a shotgun shooter other than my home defense 12ga so i am not familiar with how this bolt comes apart and what the parts are. I suspect my firing pin is broken but looking at the online parts diagram I don't see a "firing pin" listed. Which part do I need from this diagram and any tips on how to install it? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/si ... 5-12-Gauge

Love the shotgun, but not a big fan of it right now. Parts break....at least I have more chances with my bow and muzzleloader for a week or so. Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 695 problem...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Buddy has one and it is one accurate shotgun. Maybe not the prettiest, lightest or even the smoothest bolt but it is definitely one of the most accurate...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:54 pm 
Field Grade

I know its accurate, any tips on fixing it? First time I ever had a firing pin break if thats what happened....
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Sorry; he never had an issue so never had to play with. Might want to check if yours was recalled: The Mossberg Model 695® shotguns under recall were produced in 1995 and 1996, within serial numbers ranging from M000101 to M015304, inclusive.

Here's a link to the Owners manual with some take-down schematics:http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/695.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:04 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks its not recalled...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Great gun for accuracy. Not very reliable, as I too had problems with the action. Mine actually locked up and would not move in any direction while it had a shell about 1/2 inch from being chambered. Had a gunsmith remove the shell, and sent the 695 back to Mossberg. No way for them to fix it, so Mossberg sent me Mossberg shotgun of my choice to replace it. Parts are extremely hard to come by for this model, good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:42 pm 
Field Grade

It will be on its way to the folks who repair guns for Mossberg after the holidays. The bolt parts are held by Mossberg because of the early recall. Hopefully a new pin will take care of things, will try to get a spare while they have it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 pm 
Field Grade

Well before sending it off the the repair shop I took it to the range last week and brought the two shells it misfired on. One had a light hit on the primer and the other nothing. Well I sit down and rack the rounds in and boom goes the first and then chambered the second and same thing kaboom. What the heck? Could it be when after entering the woods and gently chambering the round something didn't set in the firing mechanism? I can't figure out how this bolt works and or how to take it apart to clean it. I only had those two rounds with me but I'll try again hopefully this Friday to see if I can get it to misfire by chambering it slowly and gently. Doesn't make any sense but I can't think of anything else. Suggestions appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

medbill
Quote:
Could it be when after entering the woods and gently chambering the round something didn't set in the firing mechanism?

I've heard of that happening with semi-auto shotguns. If you can get it to happen again @ the range you'll @ least know what happened. Is it possible that it was really cold that morning and you have oil built up around the firing pin and that made it sticky?

Just throwing ideas.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:27 pm 
Field Grade

It was a warm day in the low 40's and the gun was in the garage. When I took it to the range last week it was in the low 30's if not high 20's and it worked. lol Go figure thank you for the comment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:39 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm just throwing this out there, had your trigger pull changed any? I ask this not for the weight of the pull but in how you pulled it. My Ithaca M37 used to give me misfires with Winchester shells on the bench and in the woods if I pulled the trigger slowly, however I could rack the same round and jerk the trigger and it would go bang every time. All of my misfired shells had primer hits, I took it to an Ithaca expert and he told me that besides Winchester having hard primers the hammer on my gun was actually scuffing my bolt and loseing speed when squeezed and thus was not hitting hard enough to fire the shells. He took a little off my hammer and I have not had a problem since.

Savage 110 .243 Win w/ Redfield Revolution 4x12-40

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

I pressed the trigger slowly just like I did on the bench. I was still shooting for accuracy at the range afterwards but totally didn't expect it to go off. That being said it shot a nice group. Good info though thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:12 pm 
Field Grade

I have 1. Never gad this problem. I'de be thinking something in the bolt.

Owners manual doesn't show internals of bolt in exploded drawings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 pm 
Field Grade

yeah the bolt is a damned mystery....buddy has the same gun and no trouble with his either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 am 
Field Grade

As a youngster, I was allowed to hunt only with my mothers 20ga Lefever. It was doing the same thing. It would not shoot every time and left slight dimples on the primer. Gunsmith said the firing pin was actually broke and when the two pieces were aligned perfectly, it would hit the primer with enough force to fire. When it was misaligned, according to him, it was cushioned enought that it reduced the force actually hitting the primer. Firing pin replaced and problem solved. It has not misfired once since the replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 am 
Field Grade

Thanks Carryacolt, I think I will just send it in and tell them what happened. Better year I will call Maverick Arms in Texas and tell them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Try Brakleen any clean the bolt out of the Gun. You might have some grease and Lint inside that is preventing a good Pin Hit. Just putting it in the Flannel lined cases can cause you some problems over the years.
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:56 pm 
Field Grade

Have no idea how to disassemble the bolt..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Ever figure out what was wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

Went to the range and the damn thing worked...tried to duplicate what I did when it misfired and the damn thing worked fine and it was even colder then when I was hunting. Bizarre