Utility Grade

Does anyone know anything about these.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/stevens320pump
Thanks,
Terrier

Post subject: Re: Stevens 320
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:52 pm 
Field Grade

I have not seen one yet. It is a good looking shotty though. I hope the trigger on this is better than on my Stevens 350. Big gun show in Indy in a couple weeks. I plan to look for one and maybe pick it up. I will let you know any findings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I just picked one up at Big 5 for $199, can't beat the price. I've seen them on GB for $220 - $235. It appears to be a copy of a Winchester 1300. Controls are the same, (ie.action release and safety) It's light, trigger is definitely better than on the 350, I own both now. Forend is huge and covers half the receiver when the action is open so mounting a side saddle would require a different forend. Action is smoother than the 350 but not as smooth as the H&R Pardner Protector. Only one sling swivel up front but that's an easy fix.
Pistol grip looks and feels as good as my Benelli.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Sidecart,
Does it look like 1300 accessories will fit? About the only thing I am interested is would be the sidesaddle and forend.
Thanks,
Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:37 pm 
Utility Grade

A Winchester 1300 forend should fit, I have a Phoenix Technology forend I will be putting on shortly so I'll know for sure in a few days. Pins in the receiver appear different than a 1300 so you may have to use velcro for a side saddle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a 320 myself. I've shot about 50 shells of various loads and not a single hiccup. Mine came with the ghost ring sights. I'm impressed to say the least. Finish is nice and the fit is great. The sights are accurate and easy to use. I really like the gun and for the price can't complain. Great first 12 gauge. I'm not really into the whole tactical shotgun stuff, but for shooting and home defense I'd say it's a great little gun. Only thing I want to do is install a sling.

I looked at a few different models, but chose the Savage brand for the price. $220 out the door is a steal in my opinion. Would like to hear some input from other 320 owners as well.
Can't find much info about these on the web, so other owners chime in on your stories.

I wish I could change the buttstock to the pistol grip stock, but Savage doesn't have them. Can't find one online either. Sucks! Also it seems to weight more than my Remington. If I could find the stock set I'd be good to go!

Last edited by w30olds on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:52 pm 
Utility Grade

HI All, I recently purchased a Stevens 320 and for the money I must say its a bargain if it shoots and operates properly. its tight and there is no wiggle like other pumps. I hope it shoots and stays together. its only going to be a house gun. If anyone knows for sure if Winchester 1300 items might fit let me know will you? I swear it is a copy! I had one once and for a long time the 1200 and 1300 I had operated well. I remember them well and I really think this one is a knock off. I also wonder how does the trigger assembly come off to clean? The Owners manual is swag, tells you nothing really but for 200.00 what do you expect. it feels good in the hand and holds nice. I have the ghost ring Bennilli looking pistol grip version and the fiber optic front sight. The only thing I purchased so far is a three sided rail bolt on for my combat light. it goes in front of the forend and fits nice the are cheap and can be had on ebay for 20.00. its handy for a light or laser. good home defence gun. I have yet to bring it to the range. I sure would like to drill and tap some 8-40 holes for a short rail on the reciever to mount an aimpoint that would be perfect. any advice on that would be great. I have a milling machine so I could do it. I just don't remember if my old 1300 had drilled and tapped reciever, so I wonder if that would be a problem. it would not be the first time I have done it. well, Thats it. If anyone has any ideas about this model pipe in I like to learn from others.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:07 pm 
Field Grade

Not sure if it's the same internally as a 1300 but the buttstock is different for sure.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 pm 
Field Grade

There really isn't much on the Savage/Stevens site about the 320 and I was wondering a few things maybe owners here can fill me in on.

1) Is there a built in choke on the HD versions?

2) Is the barrel chrome lined?

3) Do Winchester parts such as stocks and forends fit on this?

I'm looking forward to trying one of these out before I buy one. Thank you to anyone who can answer these questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:56 pm 
Utility Grade

What is barrel chrome?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:18 pm 
ffishball55 wrote:
What is barrel chrome?

Are you being serious here?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:46 am 
Utility Grade

Very much interested in these. Local shop had the 350 "Ithica clones" for $220 and they seemed pretty solid. These are available locally now for $199 and tax, very tempting considering my current budget situation and home defense needs. "American Rifleman's" write-up seemed fair enough and I've got a pretty nice supply of slugs, buck, and field loads for a healthy break-in period torture test.

Any more input/info from current owners would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:18 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello, I recently purchased a 320 for home defense. Pistol grip and bead sights.. Though it most likely isn't neccessary I immediately regret the bead sights and would like to put rifle sights on it. Waste of time? I would also like to mount a light, ideas?
Finally, though I bought it for home defense, I would like a barrel change so that I could use it for the once every 5 years turkey hunt I have never been on.. Can you buy extra barrels? Guess that might be aquestion for savage/stevens but if any one knows, I'd love to hear, otherwiase I will post when I find the answers out..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Just bought one of these this afternoon. I will put a few hundred rounds thru it and give you a follow-up.... It's typically (new gun tight) and will loosen-up with a few rounds, I'm convinced. I paid $179+ tax from Academy Sports in Houston, TX. I almost bought 2 at that price!!!! Unfortunately, I can't shoot 2 of em at once. LOL!! I bought this for home defense only.

Post subject: Stevens 320
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:07 pm 
Utility Grade

Was out shooting mine today. Trying to do the "tactical" reload is hard with the standard stock!! Wish Savage would have the pistol grip as an option to purchase from them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Cappymike wrote:
Hello, I recently purchased a 320 for home defense. Pistol grip and bead sights.. Though it most likely isn't neccessary I immediately regret the bead sights and would like to put rifle sights on it. Waste of time? I would also like to mount a light, ideas?
Finally, though I bought it for home defense, I would like a barrel change so that I could use it for the once every 5 years turkey hunt I have never been on.. Can you buy extra barrels? Guess that might be aquestion for savage/stevens but if any one knows, I'd love to hear, otherwiase I will post when I find the answers out..

I called Savage and they don't sell barrels, I was wanting to buy an extra barrel as well. I was wondering if a Winchester 1300 barrel would work...considering most internals and such are pretty much identical to the 320. I was also wanting to try out some of the 1300 accessories to see if they work, I have yet to try that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:49 am 
Utility Grade

Some winchester stuff fits fine, i recently replaced my forend, and that was a hard fight, be sure to use oil and a dremel for that replacement, mine fits perfectly now that i shaved a little off, heat shield needs a little shaving as well, but it is a great gun shot over 150 rounds out of it now and only 1 hiccup, (user error), very accurate tight pattern as well

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm 
Utility Grade

Just got my savage 320 I going that for the stock a Remington 870 aftermarket stock is a perfect fit as well as the for end. Had to drill and tap for the received rail so I could mount a redot but but that was easy found that after about 300 rounds the action smoothed out better than most other shotguns I've shot so for the money its the best gun I've got. Oh and yes if you have the smooth bore and want to fire slugs make sure to get the rifled slugs found out the hard way what tumble does to a round missed a hell of a dear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:55 pm 
Utility Grade

First post. Wanted to say that I got the 320 with the 18.5" barrel in March and after a complete disassembly, thorough cleaning, proper oiling and reassembly, it's not had a single FTE or FTF using various types of Winchester, Remington and Federal loads fro 00 to 7 1/2.

One of the first things I did was modify a Phoenix Technoloy adjustible stock made for a Remington 870 to fit. The Phoenix forend needed almost no modification, other than a little trimming and reshaping inside on one end.

Added a flashlight and it's now easily accessable to me at night.

I have not yet located any pictures online of the 320 with adjustable stocks. Has anyone had any luck finding any that are bolt-on with no modification?

-- Cliff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Cliff - I recently just bought the same stock for my 320. I was wondering if you could give me a few tips on how you modified it to fit correctly? I would really appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks!

Nick