CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JC Higgins Model 20
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:55 pm 
Utility Grade

I finally found a JC Higgins Model 20 12Ga. It has the numbers 583.2003 on the barrel. I assume this will tell me the date of manufacture if I can find the date list somewhere?

Thanks Mike Humeston

Post subject: Re: JC Higgins Model 20
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:12 pm 
Crown Grade

I think that is most likely just the Sears part number, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sears model number only, has nothing to do with age. Someone may have list of years by serial number, but I've not heard of one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I may have an issue with this Model 20 I just got. There are two allen set screws on the lower part of the receiver ...one on each side. They appear to be holding the trigger housing into the receiver. It just doesn't look correct. I am looking a the exploded diagram of the patent filing and can't see if they are there on that illustration. Anyone out there with one that can take a look for me?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Look here.
http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catalog/ ... html#cross
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Looks like I have a problem. I will bring it into the gunsmith tomorrow. Thank you for the info.

Appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:09 pm 
Utility Grade

came across your ad looking for a jc higgins model 20, but see you have found one, i have one i think is in great shape, and i don't hunt anymore, i don't know the value, has normal wear very, verylittle rust, if you could help me w/ the value and yr made i would appreciate it, model #583.2003

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:37 am 
Field Grade

Humeston,
Humeston wrote:
I may have an issue with this Model 20 I just got.

I *have* an M20 and have shot it but I don't use it much and haven't actually taken it apart. Even so, a year or so ago, I *did* do a bit of "groping" on t'Internet, so...
Quote:
There are two allen set screws on the lower part of the receiver ...one on each side. They appear to be holding the trigger housing into the receiver.

Hmmm. I can't remember what mine looks like - it's in the gun safe at present.
Quote:
It just doesn't look correct.

This don't sound right. However, someone *may* have fixed a problem with this gun.
Quote:
I am looking a the exploded diagram of the patent filing and can't see if they are there on that illustration.

There appears to be a known "issue" with M20s - there are two "ears" on one end of the trigger "chassis" and these are frequently broken when the trigger group is over-enthusiastically introduced back into the receiver.

You *can* (in the USA) get the part, but it isn't cheap.

Therefore, what *may* have happened is that this gun has been so damaged and someone has drilled and tapped the receiver and/or trigger chassis in order to fix that end back in.
Quote:
Anyone out there with one that can take a look for me?

I may be a bit too far away from you to help, there. :) (And, in any case, I'm no gunsmith...)

Have fun with your Higgins - it's a fine shotgun (IMHO).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Oops - I've just seen how old this thread is. Still, I wouldn't mind knowing if I was even *close* to being right...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Someone drilled the sides and put in the screws because the pot metal ears broke off. The very early model 20s had steel trigger assemblys.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:18 pm 
Crown Grade

A J.C. Higgins Model 20 cross references to a High Standard Model 200. High Standard made many guns for Sears. The number 583.2003 is mistakenly thought of as a model number. It's actually a Sears & RoeBuck catalog number. Break it down and it tells who made the gun, what gauge or caliber it is and what type of action.
Trivia: Sears quit selling guns in 1982.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have an assembly disassembly book covering the M20, I also have an M20, I have removed every piece, screw & part it has, PM me with your Phone Number & I can walk you through it. The M20 is actually the High Standard Flite-King. The trigger group is held in by a single cross pin, and there are no allen screws at all in the gun.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

The chicken or the egg question again?

Remember the Sears Model 20 pre-dated any of the High Standard branded shotguns. The Sears M20 patent was manufactured by High Standard exclusively for Sears under the JC Higgins name.

There were two distinct variations of the Model 20 based on the bolt design. One version used twin extractors and one version used a right side extractor and a left side "exjector". Both are simply Model 20s, but the Sears numbering system (583.xxxx) determines and defines the differences in the actual guns.

It was only after Sears dropped the Model 20 from their lineup that High Standard began selling the same 2 variants of the Sears M-20 as the Flite King (version with twin extractors) and the Model 200 (version with exjector).

Saying that a Sears Model 20 is really a FliteKing is incorrect.....
it's more appropriate to say a FliteKing is really a Sears Model 20, since the Model 20 predates it by 30 years and the FliteKing only appeared after the M20 was dropped from Sears catalogs in favor of the less expensive Sears Model 200 (which was actually made by Winchester.)

There is no relationship between the High Standard Model 200 (which was a Sears Model 20 variant) and the Sears Model 200 (which was a Winchester.)

I know, it's very confusing but there is a method to the madness.....
when talking about Sears shotguns, the only number that has any meaning is the 583.xxxx.

The digits following the 583 tell the true story.

Here are the two basic versions of the Model 20.....
check the bolt!

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sear ... 8D150R.pdf

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/sear ... 5D150R.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 pm 
Crown Grade

You know what? I understand you!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Two questions:

Which model of HS pump is considered "better",,,the 20 or 200?

Can anybody fix or were there any "good" slide assemblies? I had one once that broke it's slide in two and was told the gun was non repairable.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:59 am 
Crown Grade

A J.C. Higgins Model 20 cross references to a High Standard Model 200.
A Sears Model 20 also cross references to a High Standard Model 200
A  Sears Model 200 cross references to a Winchester Model 1200.
High Standard did not make a Model 20 under their name. High Standard made the J.C. Higgins Model 20 and Sears Model 200 for Sears
A Sears Model 200 also cross references to a Mossberg G4. I can't find a listing for such a gun.
Any well made slide action shotgun slide can be repaired or replaced if parts are available. Maybe the guy just didn't want to work on the gun. I did that once. A guy brought in a Saturday Night Special that had every spring in it either broken or missing. I didn't want to work on and quoted him a figure I thought would scare him off. He said that was the best price he had been given and fix it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One day I'm going to buy one of those deluxe model Sears High Standards with good walnut, a recoil pad, and the Power PAC choke. I didn't know there were two High Standard pump designs,,,but I think the one I want is a Model 20. I passed up a kind of ratty one for $100 last year,,,holding out for one that Grandpa put back in the closet after that last Christmas and never shot,,,but I haven't found one of those,,,yet.:)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

i have a 1955 J.C. Higgins model 20 that is a "imperial model" it was my grandfathers and they are EXTREMELY rare, they were one step above the deluxe model. it has a fancy walnut stock a forearm, the power pac choke system, and duck scenes engraved on both sides of the receiver. I've never seen another one like it. and the only info i can find of it is this drawing that was on the cover of a gun guide catalog. Here's the link

http://www.histandard.info/datapublic/m ... 0_960.html

Last edited by zavala on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whoa!! That's the one I want. Never seen one with figured European Walnut and all that engraving!

In the early 50's, Sears got serious about the JC Higgins name. My AYA Model 100 is an outrageously high grade double gun, and Sears also imported some very nice FN Mausers in the same time frame.

I've seen Model 20s with nice black walnut, the PowerPac, vent rib, nameplate, and nice polish,,,,but none that were enrgraved and had nice imported walnut. That's a keeper!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:53 am 
Tournament Grade

yeah, it's very dear to me because me grandfather bought it new from sears, which in the 50's it was a plus 100$ gun to buy and that was ALOT of money to him back then. i've since fully reblued and restored it making it a real head turner. i've also just bought a 1955 J.C. Higgins model 60 semi auto 12 gauge that's a deluxe model also, it has the same high grade walnut with the same checkering, vent rib, and a "chokemaster" system that looks alot like the power pac but has a turnable end on it like a polychoke. i want to restore it so i have a matching set

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The AyA J.C. Higgins Model 100 side by side was $125 in the big Sears Catalog of 1954, and that was an expensive gun, about twice what the Model 20's were selling for.

I can't see how they sold that Model 20 Imperial for even $125 if that engraving was hand done. That's very high grade French walnut, too, for any gun of any year. Sears had some amazing bargains in JC Higgins guns back during that time.