It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Which one?
Poll ended at Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:07 am
Cruiser 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Persuader 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
neither, Remington son... 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Mossberg 500 Cruiser or Persuader?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 am 
Utility Grade

I'm looking into buying a HD shotgun(my first one :) ), I pretty much narrowed it to these two
http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win ... ctID=43826

http://bargaingunzone.com/productpage/20890

I wanted to know what if any significant difference is there between the two models(besides the persuader getting 2 stocks)

I'm open to other suggestions for 20ga shotguns

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 Cruiser or Persuader?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:29 pm 
Field Grade

Been a hunter for over forty years, my 500's are hunting guns and cover HD also. My opinion is to stay away from the short pistol grip only guns, hard to handle. A gun with a normal stock will handle better, you can shoot from the hip or from the shoulder, gives you more versatility. JMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Zam,

Since you appear to be rather new to shotguns and definitely new to this site, listen to the experienced here and save yourself some money and hassle.

Stay away from the pistol grip only shotguns unless you are looking to turn it into an NFA AOW model. I've got one of those in a Safety Harbor KEG-12 and it is super sweet but, not really a good choice for a novice either.

A Remington 870 Express is a safe "cheap" first choice available from most big box stores for a good price. An ex-Police model Remington 870 is really hard to beat for what you want. A new Remington Law Enforcement 870 will set you back about $500-550. Heck a used 870 Wingmaster is an easy choice too and easy to resell when you have more experience and know what you really want.

Best Regards,
Sid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:39 pm 
Utility Grade

thank you very much for both your inputs

The normal stock does sound like the logical choice and I'll definitively look for one, I was really only in the market for HD shotgun from 250-350+fees+ammo

I might fall in love with shotgunning and customization etc., but right now I'm really just looking for security-price-20g/18.5 cyl
thanks again for the advice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:35 am 
Limited Edition

Zam wrote:
thank you very much for both your inputs

Your very welcome! We all come here to learn from the more experienced and save ourselves the trouble of relearning what others before us have already know .... :)

Zam wrote:
The normal stock does sound like the logical choice and I'll definitively look for one, I was really only in the market for HD shotgun from 250-350+fees+ammo

A gently used Remington 870 is an easy choice for you. Or, watch the big box stores for a holiday sale. I purchased two Remington 870's for less then $250 plus tax in the past.

Zam wrote:
I might fall in love with shotgunning and customization etc., but right now I'm really just looking for security-price-20g/18.5 cyl
thanks again for the advice

Zam,

A gently used 12 gauge "closet queen" will be easier to find for a good price. With reduced recoil loads, most people won't find a lot of difference in recoil. With a 12 gauge you have a lot of options in the future when you are ready to try something else. A reduced recoil 9-pellet 00-Buck load is hard to beat for what you want.

A 20-gauge is a good choice for people that are extremely recoil shy or have medical issues (frail, shoulder surgery, etc.).

Also, avoid the cheap "Wal-Mart/big box" store loads. They pack too much powder for most people. With the more is better mentality, those loads KICK a lot more then they need to.

Regarding the choke, a light "touch" is better then a cylinder bore if that is an option. Personally I like something between Skeet and Modified if I'm not using a VangComp barrel. A straight Cylinder bore doesn't work as well as the uninformed mass media would lead us to believe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:43 pm 
Field Grade

Zam, at a store like Dick's you pick up a standard Mossberg 500 for arounf $275.00, wood stock, vent rib barrel with 3 choke tubes, IC. MOD and FULL chokes. This would give you a good general purpose gun to start with, after that get as crazy as you feel moving up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

"D" None of the above.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:37 pm 
Field Grade

rico, please share with us.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:41 pm 
Utility Grade

I just went through this similar exercise.... a value-priced HD shotgun. I picked up a Mossberg 500 Persuader (model 50521), 12 gauge, 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, parkerized, for $288 out-the-door from a LGS. It came with an optional pistol grip, but I kept the polymer stock on it. Not really looking to use it, but if I do...I want it to perform without a hiccup.

YMMV,
boomer 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:23 pm 
Utility Grade

a lot of good info and food for thought

what I can take so far:
definitely a normal stock

after trying out a 12ga vs 20ga, I'll consider 12ga with reduced recoil since 12ga are more abundant and usually 30-60 bucks cheaper and it also didn't give me as much soreness as I had thought

Walmart is a no-no, I read some threads about it

I'm iffy about remington 870 since I've read some threads about some of the issues it might potential have vs mossberg

thanks again for everyone's input

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

IMHO a AR style pistol grip stock is the best of both worlds for SD/HD applications. I don't like the adjustables though as they have a zillion snag points. Mine wears a Speedfeed III

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Best home defense: a dog
Second best: A handgun
Third: bend over and take it
Fourth: a shotgun
Fifth: a tricked out shotty that you've never fired.

Your tongue is loud in the village, but in battle it is still. -- James Fenimore Cooper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:06 am 
Crown Grade

Now, back to your question. Of the two you want the Persuader. Pistol grip only is a bad idea. You are better off with the traditional stock. I know this from experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I bought a Mossberg 500 12ga pump a long time ago with the 2 barrel set; 18.5" and 28". I used the 28" barrel to start shooting trap...that was 5 shotguns ago. Now I have the 18.5" barrel with a pistol grip/buttstock on my Mossberg and love it. Check out some YouTube videos that I have seen in the past. Shooting just a pistol grip shotgun can recoil back right into your face so hold it very tight! Way back when the Mossberg cost me $240 total!! I believe they are up to $289.00 now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The pistol grip is Ebay fodder. I would lean towards the 18" so you can find a 28" barrel. The most important part of HD training is to learn to manipulate the gun and lets face it shooting static paper targets gets old.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:10 pm 
Utility Grade

taking some of the great advice and going and testing things/researching I'm leaning more towards this

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win ... ctID=19758

using:
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... 82&src=sim

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... 00&src=sim

I'm hoping to find a new persuader for cheaper though...

my gratitude to those who took time and gave great input

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Federal LE13200 is the gold standard for HD ammo. The Flite control wad gives you a nice tight pattern so you don't have errant pellets zipping off into who knows where.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:52 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ideally I would agree with those who suggest looking for a 2 barrel combo 500 or 870 from the start because you will want to get a longer barrel sooner or later.

However have you given any thought to the 500's little brother, the Maverick 88? I've seen them as low as $179.00 around here. At that price, it might be a good first gun choice for you with extra $$$ leftover for shells.

http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

Just saying...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:51 pm 
Utility Grade

thanks for the tip DeGriz, it looks and feels almost exactly like a mossberg 500 and for almost half the price!
the only pit peeves I have is that 1. warranty is only 1 year vs a mossberg having 8yrs and 2.there's not a whole lot of the security models in circulation

but I'm definitely considering the maverick 88 now that I've tried it and talked to some about its reliability, any problems etc.

the price+ammo+some accessories would still be lower than getting one of the other guns so thanks for the great advice!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:01 am 
Utility Grade

A 20ga for home defense? .. Bad Idea. That's like keeping a .22 revolver just in case a GANG of thugs breaks in... First of all step it up and shoot a real man Gauge. I was 10 when I shot my first 12g. Only 130lbs standing at 5'7" I handle a Pistol Grip 500 12ga with EASE. I load M.G. OO Buck for myself and Hornady Reduced Recoil for wife. My best friend has the 500 with shoulder stock, sorry but I like my pistol grip SOOO much better and if you know how to shoot it you can do more than just hip fire.

I would never count on a 20g to protect myself or my family
Pistols : nothing smaller than .38ACP
Shotguns: 12gauge ONLY
Rifles: nothing smaller than 223