CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franchi 48AL 28GA Opinions?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm seriously considering purchasing a new Franchi 48AL Field in 28Ga. for cottontail rabbits and grouse here in Ohio. I want something that is light but I also need something utterly reliable, I can't stand a gun that won't run. I'd like to know how the current new crop of Franchi 48AL's in 28Ga run or if they should be avoided and move on to a different model. I really like what I've read on them so far but give me the entire scoop!! {hs#

NSCA #636379
Pure Gold Ultra Series Chokes

Home Club:
Upland Valley Sporting Clays
Carrollton, Ohio

Post subject: Re: Franchi 48AL 28GA Opinions?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Great 28 gauge shotguns.One of the best you can use in the field in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

They're OK little guns. Their real claim to fame is their light weight. You won't find one lighter. No matter what load I shoot, even 7/8 oz loads, mine will not cycle if the friction piece is in the heavy setting. The trigger on mine is an abomination. It has lots of free travel, heavy pull weight and lots of over travel. Other than that, it's great! One plus for mine is that sucker will chamber just about anything. I use my tired skeet shells, with the mouths all frayed, to hunt with and that gun gobbles them up. I think that's rather atypical, however.
So, just decide what you're willing to put up with to have a bantam-weight gun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your 28 gauge Franchi 48AL.I have two of them and I have a friend who has one and we have never had trouble of any kind with ours.

Did you try putting a little oil on the magazine tube?The only time I have to set mine for light loads is if I happen to be shooting the short 2 1/2 inch (65mm) shells.Other than those mine will shoot all 2 3/4 inch (70mm)shells from 5/8 ounce up to the one ounce loads.

The triggers work well on my and my buddies shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Of all the guns I have ever used in the uplands, nothing comes close to the Franchi 48. I have a few in my safe that I am keeping in case I ever wear out my old 48 that I bought in the 1950s.

There are two constants in my shooting life. One is Franchi 48s. The other is Polychokes. I will not be without either. I have faith in both of them and speak well of them because they have served me well.

I post this often but the old 48 has been shot so much that it wore the extractor to a nub. That is the only part I have needed to replace. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Certainly with the volume of guns that Luigi Franchi made, there had to be one that slips through QC. Though I haven't found one that didn't function properly, I'm sure that there are some, especially since Beretta started making them.

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
The triggers work well on my and my buddies shotguns.

I didn't say it didn't work; it's just crappy. By far, the worst trigger on any gun I own.

Hey, I use the gun because I want the light weight. I just realize the shortcomings of my particular gun and have decided that the compromise is worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I love mine and it runs like a top. I see no reason to get the 28 gauge over the 20. The weight difference is only a couple of ounces. The 20 gauge is already super light. My 20 will cycle 3/4 oz reloads if its in the light load position.

I will agree the trigger has alot of creep and is gritty but mine is light and breaks at 4lbs. It can be fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know, much more expensive, but I highly recommend the Benelli over the AL 48, in either the Legacy or the Ultra Light, 28 and/or 20 gauge models.

But well worth the extra cost. The one AL 48 I had wouldn't hold a candle to the Benellis, even if it had worked flawlessly, (which it most certainly did not!)

Three BULs, two 12's and a 20, plus now, the 28 Legacy have truly been flawless. (They now have a UL model in the 28 as well)

No friction ring to screw with, no adjustments to make, (ever), and no lubing of the magazine tube, (nothing runs on it!)

No "pogo stick" recoil, either!

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I just got a al 48 28 gauge . stock ranger who could fix the trigger it sucks.But I love my model 37 ithaca 28 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:52 pm 
Crown Grade

cootlover wrote:
I just got a al 48 28 gauge . stock ranger who could fix the trigger it sucks.But I love my model 37 ithaca 28 gauge.

I don't know who can fix the trigger but if you get a message from a guy named Dan Suggs and goes by berettawhizz or shotgunwizzard do not send your gun to him. He lurks on here and when someone needs gunsmithing he messages you. THe jerk did some work on my stock. He said he would charge 250 bucks. I got my credit card bill and he billed me 350 bucks! Then the jerk said he would mail the stock back within a week and it took like 8 weeks and alot of nasty E-Mails to get it back. He ruined the first half of my hunting season last year. He obviously forgot about me already cuz when I posted about the trigger he messaged me and said mail it to him to be fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I had a Franchi 48 in 20 gauge. Absolute blast to shoot and fit me like no other firearm I ever owned. One day the pin that held the trigger assembly fell out and the whole action jammed up with a live round half way into the chamber. I couldn't get that live round out until I got home, luckily a walking distance, and took the gun apart. A gunsmith ordered a replacement pin, that was October and the part did not show until that Summer. My son has a Franchi semi auto, I believe a 48, and the trigger broke off. Again it was several months before the new part showed up.
They are fun guns to shoot and carry but Franchi customer service has to be the worst on the planet. That was enough to make me swear off Franchi shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 am 
Crown Grade

These days they have a website called Numerich AKA Gunparts.com. A new pin is probably just a few dollars. Parts are easy to come by as the 48 has been made since 1948. Waiting on a gunsmith and parts sucks. Unless its something expensive and under warranty its better to just get the parts yourself.

I didn't need any parts but when I have contacted Franchi about bore diameter and choke tube exit diameter they responded within 24 hours.

You think Franchi is bad? Try beretta, you would still be waiting for the pin. Why the heck can't every company have the service of CZ?