CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Model 12 gunsmithing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

How often do folks out run into model 12s that supposed gunsmiths just installed replacement parts and the guns still don't work. I just picked a really nice model 12 with three pin vent rib that didn't work. The safety was locked and would not engage. The gunsmith or person who last worked on gun had installed a new trigger and action slide lock with spring. Neither were properly hand fitted. After getting the parts fitted the gun works great. What happens when the gunsmiths with knowledge of the model 12s are finally in retirement. Are their books that explain the techniques of hand fitting the parts in a model 12. It seems that those gunsmoths are fewer and far between.

Post subject: Re: Winchester Model 12 gunsmithing
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you find a really good gunsmith you are fortunate. Stay on his good side and hope he stays in business. Where I live there are very few gunsmiths to begin with and some of the ones around here are not all that great. I do most of my own work that does not require extensive machining and enjoy the gaining of knowledge and the satisfaction of doing it myself. I believe that before anyone attempts any work on guns they need to be honest about their mechanical and problem solving abilities. Also having some proper tools is a big help. It is not a good idea to get in over your head for many reasons including safety. The internet is a tremendous help in that you can acquire so much information quickly. I started out by working on simple types of firearms that did not have much value, had few parts that were easily available if a replacement part was needed. And if a catastrophe occured it was not a huge loss. It can be very rewarding and can save you substantial cash, but always keep safety number one and seek advice when needed. When things are not going right, walk away and clear your mind. Frustration leads to bad decisions and short cuts that create mountains of work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was taught by my father oto be self reliant. The nearest gunsmith was 60 miles away. He had a workshop and repaired guns. He ordered parts form numerich gun parts corp. He taught me and I have been repairing guns for many years. I was taught armorer skills in the Army. I work on a few guns today. Any major work is done by a gunsmith. I just do minor replacement of springs, parts, anddominor fitting. I think it is nice to polish and fit parts to make a gun work smooth and function perfectly. Safety is
is number one. I work on few guns now. I have aqquired a few that doesn't need repair, just preventive maintenance. A little cleaning and polishing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Preventive maintainence goes a lomg way. I was shooting this past week with a friend that has owned guns for a while bur apparently nevered cleaned them. I took home a Marlin semi-auto .22 that would not load or function. I took it apart after clearing a .22RFM cartridge that was jamming the action. I have taken apart 100+ year old guns that were cleaner. The amount of gunk is unbelievable. I certainly can't make it any worse.