CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extra light powder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm 
Field Grade

I been wanten to try this powder but still don't have it in my area. Don't want to order it .
My question is will it have a complete combustion around freezing temp. I'm useing reddot now and I don't have a complete combustion burn.
my load now is gray wad (win or claybuster)mec 31 bushing,feda primer rem hulls 7/8 skeet bar throwing around 360 grns lead shot

Post subject: Re: Extra light powder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:50 pm 

I used Extra-light in my 7/8 oz loads today and ambient temperature was 31 Deg F. Burn was wonderful, barrels were clean. But, I was using that Federal 209A primer, this can make a difference in combustion.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:40 pm 
Field Grade

What is your weight your bar throwing? You useing the pink wad. I think the win gray has more pressure then claybuster wad.
thx shoottatclay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:48 pm 

shoottatclay wrote:
What is your weight your bar throwing? You useing the pink wad. I think the win gray has more pressure then claybuster wad.
thx shoottatclay

I am using the DR-XXL-1 Pink wad with 7/8 OZ of shot. Federal 209A primer with 16 Grains of ExtraLight in a WWAAHS-12 hull. I am trying the AAHS hulls again and using that Federal primer. If that combination dumps on me then I am giving up on the 12 Gauge HS hulls forever. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:26 pm 
Field Grade

Same results as Curly...even with using Noble Sport primers. I use 16.0 of Extra Lite for both 7/8 and 3/4 ounce loads in the AAHS (DR pink XXL wads). Impressive powder in the cold.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shootatclay,

360 grains of shot is NOT 7/8 ounce. It's closer to 13/16 ounce. Bump up the shot weight to around 382 grains. Also, what is the weight of the powder you are dropping? My guess is that your pressure is too low and that's causing it to shoot "dirty".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 pm 
Field Grade

I've used both powders (Red Dot and Extra Lite) in several comparable loads, and the Extra Lite always burns cleaner for me. I've not noticed any difference in performance or cleanliness related to temperature either. It has also metered better for me as well.

With the lighter charge weights, it is also comparable in price per shell cost, depending on the specific cost and availability of powders in your area.

If you can find a way to get some Extra Lite, you won't be sorry. Go straight to the 8 pounder, you'll be glad you did.

that's my $.02

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:56 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks everbody for all of your input. right now think I bump the shot up. This spring maybe they have the extra light in . Sounds like the powder I need cause I like to load lite.
reddot been my fav. powder for the last 12 years . thanks again for all of your input.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SAC,

I still haven't seen your reply to how much (weight) of Red Dot you are using in your reloads. If you don't have a scale, do yourself a favor and buy one. It makes it much easier to know what you're doing and for others to help you when you have problems. It's also the safe way to do things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

ulysses
sorry around 17.2 I have a scale wouldn't load without one .could bump up the powder I think the weight of the shot would be a bigger advanage . Really need to do both. I like useing the 7/8 skeet bar so I can use less shot. lawence brand weighs in about 355 grns and west coast brand is weigh in at around 358 to 360 Kindy my goal load for all around weather load for skeet. around 1200fps. Like you said I don't have anoth pressure around freezing temp . I think to stay with reddot 7/8 skeet bar in warmer temp. 1 oz skeet in winter. sounds like extra lite my be my ticket . thanks shootatclay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

shoottatclay wrote:
ulysses
sorry around 17.2 I have a scale wouldn't load without one .could bump up the powder I think the weight of the shot would be a bigger advanage . Really need to do both. I like useing the 7/8 skeet bar so I can use less shot. lawence brand weighs in about 355 grns and west coast brand is weigh in at around 358 to 360 Kindy my goal load for all around weather load for skeet. around 1200fps. Like you said I don't have anoth pressure around freezing temp . I think to stay with reddot 7/8 skeet bar in warmer temp. 1 oz skeet in winter. sounds like extra lite my be my ticket . thanks shootatclay

There is no doubt that you simply don't have enough pressure with your present load recipe. With 17.2 grains Red Dot you need to bump your shot load up to at least 382 grains, and even that may be a bit on the light side. I'd suggest that around 410 to 420 grains of shot with appropriate wad would give you MUCH better ignition and performance while still keeping recoil low. And you wouldn't need the hotter Fed 209A primer with that recipe.

DISCLAIMER: No one should rely on reloading recipes obtained from the internet unless it is from a reputable powder or ammo manufacturer (which I'm NOT). I'm just telling you what *I* would do in your situation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:48 am 
Field Grade

I agree with you going back to my load I shot for 13 years 17 grns around 425 grs of shot for the winter time . shoot the 360 grn load when its gets warmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:55 am 
Field Grade

I'm sold on trying extra lite what bushings would I need?
when I run out of reddot I'm going to get some

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 am 

shoottatclay wrote:
I'm sold on trying extra lite what bushings would I need?
when I run out of reddot I'm going to get some

Depends on what you are trying to drop, Bushings 29-33 will get you covered for most drops. ExtraLight is a fluffy powder that requires a larger bushing for lighter weight compared to most other powders.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Curly,
I hope you don't have too much success with those Extra Lite loads. I'd hate to have to return all those AAHS hulls you so kindly sent me. As a side note, I have been loading 16.5 gr e3 with WW209's, and going back and forth between 7/8 and 1oz with the appropriate CB wad for my re-entry into trapshooting. Can't tell the difference in breaks, but a touch less recoil with the 7/8's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:11 am 

I am currently loading AAHS hulls with ExtraLight and the DR-XXL-1 Bio wads using 16 Grains of ExtraLight with 7/8 oz of locally made shot. The targets turn to ink blots when the idiot behind the stock does not point it in the wrong place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My e3 is running low, I may have to try the extra lite. How does it meter and are you using the red baffle with it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:52 am 

I am using the Red baffle, I am seeing no issues. But since I am loading way down, I am not looking for issues. When I was selecting the bushing size I did a lot of drops and they were quite consistant. I use an Automate so it is always consistant, this points to operator function as a major cause of powder drop variability for those that do not use an Automate. I must admit, I did have trouble when I let the bottle run out :oops: Let it be said that you must check the powder bottle every 100 rounds loaded and refill it then. The powder is fluffy enough that it gets used out of the bottle much quicker than I am accustomed. The bad part is, I knew it but just dumassed myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:17 pm 
Field Grade

curly,
Thanks I have it covered I have 27-33