CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baikal MP 220F 12 GA Hammer Gun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 am 
Utility Grade

First Post:
So I'll share my first shotgun, second powder burner. I spend a lot of time with airguns or my old 22LR. But this Christmas I couldn't resist this little double barrel USSG Baikal MP 220F 12 GA Hammer Gun. 20 inch barrels, external hammers, dual triggers. The photos don't do it justice, it's a real looker when she's dusted off and a lot of fun to shoot. It's lighter than my Mrod. I love the simplicity of it. A fine little coach gun, scattergun or cowboy shooter. - Jim -

Post subject: Re: Baikal MP 220F 12 GA Hammer Gun
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 am 
Presentation Grade

Congrats.
Looks great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Glad you like your Baikal, that's all that counts and it apparently functions fine; however, I have been examining these shotguns at Cabelas with interest but must say they are nothing to gladden the heart of a double barrel enthusiast. They appear rather "crudely made" (as in a Russian Gulag) - bad wood metal fit, little figure to the wood, metal parts look like they were stamped out by a cookie cutter, etc. The hammers are very low profile and the whole gun looks like it would be a bargain at 1/2 the usual asking price. Is it just me or am I being too critical to these hammer doubles by Baikal? I think there is a niche market for a short barrel hammer double for home defense but would like to see a bit better craftsmanship on the gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I wouldn't call them "crude" necessarily... more like primitive or rustic. I get the feeling that if something broke in a world without gunsmiths, I could fix it myself. Everything is simple and there for the eye to see. And it simply works. But I understand your observations.