CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spaniels for retrieving, Boykin or Springer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:03 am 
Diamond Grade

My lab turned 13 yesterday and her hunting days are long behind her. As I am hunting more these days I do want another dog, primarily as a retriever of dove and waterfowl. But, to keep ensure domestic tranquility, I may have to look for something other than a lab. The shedding is a bit much for my wife. So I'm considering spaniels. From what I can gather the Boykin seems to be a retrieving machine that retains some upland ability and the Springer is more of an upland dog with retrieving ability. Is that accurate? If I go away from labs I'd like to have a dog that could upland hunt but admittedly this will not be the primary job. Retrieving ability is primary. I'd like to have good balance and versatility. You know, the perfect dog. I do not want a dog where force fetching may be required. My lab, true to her nature, never needed it and would happily bring me anything I wanted. All she needed was some gentle coaching to hold the birds until I take them. Can I expect similar behavior in either of these spaniels? And I prefer a dog with a calmer disposition that is happy to sit in a blind for a few hours. Finally, what can be expected in the shedding department. We also have a golden mix so some shedding is acceptable but the lab seems to take it to a different level and the courser hair is harder to clean up.

Post subject: Re: Spaniels for retrieving, Boykin or Springer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:04 am 
Diamond Grade

Oh, our winters in central NC are not extreme so the cold tollerance of a lab is probably not required.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 am 
Presentation Grade

For your purpose, I suggest the Boykin. Very fine retriever, and adequate in the uplands (find' em, flush 'em, fetch 'em). They do not shed like Labs, but the long hair can be a problem with burrs, etc. I keep mine trimmed and that eliminates the burrs and doesn't seem to affect her desire to enter cold water. Swims like a fish. Biddable. Headstrong. Does not react well to harsh treatment or training methods.

When looking for a pup I did extensive search commencing with Internet and then lots of telephoning. I got my best response and information from Phil Hinchman at Brandywine Kennels in Greenfield, IN, 317-462-4872. He was friendly and gave me a lot of background and good advice, even though he didn't have a dog for sale at that time. My most disappointing experiences came from several ladies with small kennels who seemed to think their operations were something "special", and almost seemed to require a password before they would talk to me.

I got lucky and found a good dog, bred for the field, thanks to Mr. Hinchman. She was finding birds and retrieving ducks at eight months on a trip to the Dakotas and I've never looked back. She will be six years old next month.

I have no quarrel with Springers, but don't think they are as well equipped or inclined towards the water work. Good luck with your search.

R.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks Robert, I have seen Brandywine online as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Itll be easier to find a Boykin bred for hunting than a Springer bred for hunting around here. Most local Springers are pet bred... My vote is for the palmetto poodle! Look up Pam Kadlec and Kim Parkman, both are located in SC and reputable well known trainer/breeders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:49 am 
Tournament Grade

If you are looking for a smaller Spaniel, take a look @ field bred English Cockers. They are a great family/hunting dog. The are excellent retrievers. I keep both of our dogs hair trimmed so shedding and burrs are not a problem. If you need more info go to www.fieldcockers.com. Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Being as you are in NC the Boykin would be the choice for me. Great little dogs and excellent hunters.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:40 am 
Tournament Grade

From a size standpoint and for hunting waterfowl, I'd go with the Springer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi,

I can't help you on breed selection as I have had Brittany spaniels for 30 years. Mine does grouse,woodcock,pheasants and ducks out of the water. He's a great retriever but get cold easily after being in the water.

I am writing because of the shedding you mentioned. As other have said I have to keep him trimmed during hunting season because of the burrs he picks up. However you have probably noticed the fine steel comb the vets use to check dogs for fleas. I bought one of these and use it to comb my dog pretty frequently. This comb helps to get off the hair that otherwise would be shedded.

Good luck with finding your next best buddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Warden wrote:
From a size standpoint and for hunting waterfowl, I'd go with the Springer.

You would - but 99 out of 100 who want a retrieving spaniel wouldn't.

They would want a real retrieving spaniel -

the Boykin, as they might want an ESS for upland work. Or would they?

MG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is a guy in Tennessee that is having a littler of Boykins in March. Just wondering if his price is the normal for a Boykin pup? If you ae interested in one of his, contact me and I will get his phone number for you.

From Kim Smith
Re: Cinnamon is having pups in 63 days.
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 5:54pm I'm selling the females for $2500.00 but have 15 on a waiting list and males are selling for $2000.00. I've got 2 deposits for males.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2 grand for a pup? no thats not the average.

Bill S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Yikes. Well, if he has 15 on the waiting list then I guess that must be about right for his conditions. You could say he's even a little low. If he was way high no one would be on the wating list.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:06 am 
Presentation Grade

$2000.00 seems like an awful lot of money for any dog unless it is field trail bred for field trial campaigning. I would think for your purposes you could find a good one for less than half of that; and from a reputable breeder, not a backyard kennel.

Maybe you should look further north where Boykins are not as popular?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 am 
Diamond Grade

Robert,

I think you are correct. I'm close to the origin of the breed and have found quite a few in my region. Much less than 2000.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Boykins are the state dog of South Carolina and that is the place to look.

Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chaco1 wrote:
Boykins are the state dog of South Carolina and that is the place to look.

I agree. Goose Pond Kennels in Gresham, SC would be a good place to look. They do not have a litter right now, but should before too long. www.thegoosepond.com

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

A few years ago I was in your boat. My Chessie was getting a little older, and I had started hunting Kansas for pheseant and quail on a pretty regular basis, but the majority of my hunting is waterfowl in Arkansas. I spent most of two years researching breeds and breeders trying to decide what to buy. I picked a field bred Springer from Blue River Kennels in Minnesota. I have not been unhappy. This pup has an amazing nose, a great disposition, plenty of "go" in the field, yet quiet in the blind, and is a retrieving machine.

I carried him to Kansas at 10 months age where he quartered, flushed, and picked up both phez and quail. I got him started on waterfowl that same fall (last year) and he loves the water. 22 degrees yesterday morning and he made multiple water retrieves and then sat beside me with ice on everything not covered by his vest just itching to make another. He is tough, biddable, and lives to please me.

With Boykins I can make no comment, having never hunted or been around one. I will say that everything I have read has been very favorable about these little brown dogs. If you do think more about Springers I would highly reccomend Ken Hanson and his line of Blue River Kennel dogs. He has not steered me wrong.
Opening day 2011, A couple of these were 150 yard swimming cripples.
Oklahoma phez at 11 months.
More ducks this past December.
My 2cts worth,
Roosterbob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

personaly i think both breeds are awsome breeds, having owned a springer in the past i can say they are great flushers and fetchers, but if i was doing more fowl and dove hunting i may lean towards a boykin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:18 am 
Field Grade

I know that you did not mention the American Water Spanial. I was in the same boat as you, my lab had passed on and I needed to get me a new companion to hunt ducks with. In our house we have 3 britts, one mix and my wife did not want another big dog, like a lab. I searched for many, many hours and finially decided on the AWS over the Boykin. My main reason was based on the weather conditions that my dog would be hunting in. I live in SE Ohio and sometimes it gets pretty chilly to be jumping in the river. After talking to different breeders and hunters, I came to the conclusion that the AWS was better equiped for my area. I would love to have a Boykin at some point in my life because of their animation and joy of hunting, but for now I am really enjoying my little brown dog, the American Water Spanial.
As for shedding, the AWS will shed about like a Boykin, however it is not an uncommon practice to keep them cut close, especially during the burr season.