CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storing shotgun shells in the attic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Well duck hunting season is over for me and I have about a case of ammo left over and out of storage space and was thinking about putting it in the attic till next september when they will get shot up. Any suggetions?? I figured if the military has ammo stored in conex trailer in the desert in the middle east my attic should be cooler than over there.

Post subject: Re: Storing shotgun shells in the attic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Probably not. The high heat would be extremely bad for the plastic (I think). Military ammo is brass and the would not affect that. I think the recommendation is to store in a cool, dry place

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd stay away from the attic also, for the reason stated above -- degradation of the plastic hulls. Stack them in your wifes closet :mrgreen: !

NRA Life/Endowment Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Military shotgun shells are still plastic, but I agree the plastic might get brittle and don't have a wife so that option is now avalible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

High heat, 120 degree and above, is very bad for the propellants and your attic can reach those temps. They will also effect the structure of some plastic hulls, if not all eventually. :( I spent 20 yrs in the Navy and ammo was one of my responsibilities. Military storage units that look normal often have special features you can't see and the temps are monitored. Bottom line; I would not store my ammunition in the attic. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:52 pm 
Utility Grade

Sparky: Not sure where you're from, but based recent personal events, I would recommend against storing ammo in a high humidity environment, too. I live in the South where humidity and temperatures soar. Attics down here can get very hot and moist. I've taken to putting a moisture catching product in the area with my ammo. One knocking down is worth two tellin's, my dad used to say.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I think you should send your ammo to me and i can store it for you free of charge :D {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

^77
I would never store shotgun shells or rifle cartridges in an attic. NO NO NO
I have shotgun shells and high caliber rifle cartridges boxes of them that I bought in the middle to late 1960's.
They are stored in my basement in a locked insulated wooden cabinet that I built for them.
There is a dehumidifier in my basement and I control the temperature and humidty of the basement.
All the ammo I have has gone boom with no miss fires, the new stuff and the old stuff.
On all the old ammo boxes 40 years and older that I have is says right on the box STORE IN A COOL DRY PLACE.
Get your self a ammo box and store them in a cool dry place.
All my hunting and shooting buddies do not store any ammo they buy it and shoot it all up at the range. If we are hunting and they have ammo left over they will keep it home for a week or two until they get back to the range next time and shoot it up.
STORE IN COOL DRY PLACE
Good Luck and keep shooting.
Fred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Well now that I live in Texas they don't know what basements are down here. When I was back up in Illinois I had plenty of basement storage space. Guess it's off to Lowes to gt some shelving and put them in the garage, only place I have room. NO such thing as a cool dry place in Houston lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Instead of shelving, how about a metal storage cabinet that you can dehumidify and possibly even cool, with a small fan or something. :idea: Doesn't take much, just a little air movement, to keep temps down some. :)