CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best gun for trap shooting.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have some questions about trap shooting. I am interested in doing some trap shooting. The nearest club is about 50 miles away. So Imay be shooting on farm some to with. I have a few options to try before going to a club. I have heard that many may frown inexpensive guns for trap because they may not hold up. I have a 1187 with 30 inch barrel, a stoger condor and a winchester model 12 trap gun. The 1187 has remchokes and the condor has screw in chokes. the model 12 is full. Any Ideas. I also thought about a valmet 412 in f/m. Any advice. I have also thought about getting a winchester 101.

Post subject: Re: Best gun for trap shooting.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:04 pm 
Crown Grade

The Winchester model 12 trap gun is a very good gun to say the least,it was used for many years by
trap shooters and to some degree still are,They tend to have a tight choked barrel.{choke diameter}.
The 101 Win,I would stay away from personally,they have been out of production for many years now.
The cheaper quality guns tend to shoot loose, after lots of shells run through them.The model 12 should serve you well,also it makes you shoot the target right on the money being a full choke.After
getting into the trap game for a while,you can then decide which gun to get and why?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

You will do very well with the Model 12, and it's also a full choke gun which you will want for regulation trap shooting...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:55 pm 
Crown Grade

You have one of the best trap guns already in the Winchester model 12. You also have a gun that I would suggest you get rid of as soon as you can, the Stoger buzzard. It may be a fine gun for the guy who needs to shoot or club the possum that's knocking over his trash cans. It is also a great gun for a non hunter, non shooter to nail to the wall over his fireplace to impress his non hunting, non shooting friends. Drilling a hole through the stock and through the barrels for lag bolts to affix it to a wall can only enhance it's value.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

yep the model 12 trap is well respected. Your 11-87 may not be the ideal gun but I think it would also be fine for getting started and have reduced recoil.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have always had a preference for a pump gun. I have collected a few model 12s. The just feel so natural. I got the stoger about 10 years ago and shot it about three times. It has always been stiff. I picked up the 11-87 in 2000 and in is still unfired and in my safe. I had one before with a 26 inch barrel and liked the recoil. I guess I may try one of the model 12s. At least I wouldn't be laughed off the range with it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:16 am 
Field Grade

Is the full choke that important now a days for trap shooting? Back in the day before plastic shot cups the FC was more important to shooters. The shells are lot better then the old shells with fiber wads. The reason I ask is because I have a nice field grade M12 with a mod choke that I might take to the range. I've never shot trap so I don't want to embarrass myself. I was thinking about taking my Ithaca 28ga so if I don't do too well I can blame it on the 28ga.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Zike wrote:
Is the full choke that important now a days for trap shooting? The reason I ask is because I have a nice field grade M12 with a mod choke that I might take to the range.

You are good to go. When you are consistently busting 100 in a row and they back you up to the parking lot, you can worry about a full choke. Until then, if you are missing any targets, it ain't cause you don't have enough choke. From the 16yd line you can run them with a skeet choke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 am 
Crown Grade

The Winchester model 12 trap gun is all you need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks to all. I beleive I will remove the old recoil pad and put a new limsaver on. That might help. When I grew up my dad had a model 12 with a 32inch full choke. He liked high power loads so that is what we shot. No recoil pad was available and that old gun kicked like a mule.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:25 pm 
Limited Edition

The Model 12 has won nearly everything, if not everything, in both trap and skeet competitions, including Olympic gold medals, during the time it was being produced. But its not in production anymore that should be a part of your decision also.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

Old,

Whenever the word "Stoeger" is mentioned on SGW, you start spouting the weirdest crap.

The first sentence of your post made sense. The rest of it was non-stop Stoeger bashing gibberish.

Perhaps you'll explain to us some day how you came to have such negative feelings toward Stoegers. Were you bitten by one as a child?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

At this time, I have several winchester model 12s, 4 trap, 2 skeet, and half dozen or so field guns. I have a lot of spare parts that normally wear out and and some extra wood. If a model 12 gets too worn out then someone will buy it to restore or part out. These days it seems that model 12s are being parted out because traders can make more for the parts than selling a whole gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:10 pm 
Crown Grade

"Until then, if you are missing any targets, it ain't cause you don't have enough choke."

It never will be. I've used an IC (accidentally) from the 27 and when I did my part, the targets broke. They didn't break into powder like with a Full, but rather into a lot of little chunks.

The rational reason to use a Full choke is that it allows you to gauge if hitting but a bit off-center, so you can correct for the next shot. Trapshooters do not do everything they do for rational reasons, though. Many seem to believe that you need a Full choke to break the targets. You don't, from any distance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

I think they made over 1 million model 12s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I think that number was slightly over 2 million. But, a Model 12 was never cheap even in 1912 it had a hefty price tag. For example in 1931 when the Model 21 double barrel came out the field grade sold for $59.95 while a field grade Model 12 sold for $39.95.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 am 
Utility Grade

I'm not sure why it was said that the model 101 has been out of production for several years now. I know it was discontinued for a while but it has been back in production for a while now. I personaly own a 101 pigeon grade trap model with adjustable comb that is 2010 production. I have been really pleased with the quality of it, I'm about 5,000 rounds in and I haven't had a hiccup. I shot my first 25 straight 2 weeks ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 am 
Crown Grade

The 101 is not back in production.

The new 101s are an entirely different design, made in Belgium, with the same model name. I like them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 am 
Presentation Grade

Not trying to be a smart butt. I consider any gun you can hit your target with is the best one to use, no matter what.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Winchester Model 12.
The Full choke on the Model 12 Trap is amazing.