CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 11-48 28 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:13 am 
Utility Grade

I have recently inherited a Remington 11-48 in a 28 gauge. The gun is in decent shape but the stock and forend are in need of replacement. Does anyone know of a source for getting a replacement stock and forend? Also, are the stocks and forends from Remington 1100's interchangeable with the 11-48? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Remington 11-48 28 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Stocks for the 1100 Remington will normally fit the 11-48, of equal frame size. Not sure about forend but think not. :( Had one of those for awhile but my thumb caught heck loading it, chewed up! :shock:

Why do they need replacement? If it just the finish, or minor cracks, etc, the repair and refinish, done by you, would be much cheaper and not a hard thing to do. :wink:

Jack First, Gun Parts and Boyds Gunstocks are all possible sources.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Forend will not. Ebay might be your best bet, and hold onto your pants when you find one, it won't be cheap.

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you want to sell let me know

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:19 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies. The reason for wanting a replacement is both the stock and forend are pretty beat up. The gun was used quite a bit for rabbit and squirrel hunting and is need of a good cosmetic makeover.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 am 
Crown Grade

Numrich Arms has the fore end for the 28ga in stock.
Order Here! (Go to page 5 and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page)

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For what its worth. A very clean 28 gauge skeet model 11-48 sold on gunbroker last week for $895. People still like them and the 28 gauge would get a premium.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Frank. I talked with Numrich about the forend. They explained they are used but in good shape. Unfortunately they don't provide you a picture of the item before purchase. They don't have stocks at this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Where are you located? Several members here on SGW do incredible stock re-

Here's one on the west coast:

http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

And Doug whose shop is about 30 minutes from me here in the Cleveland, OH area:

http://www.ccgunstocks.com/

I have an old Remington 11-48 as well (in 16 gauge) that I inherited from my Dad. I wouldn't think of selling it. I probably went about 1000 times on various hunts with him in West Virginia while one of us shot that gun. A few years ago I had it re-blued, springs replaced as needed, and tuned up. The stock is in decent shape, but looks like it would be incredible if re-finished. I will be talking to Mr. Carpenter about that soon. I had planned to do it myself, but have taken on a new job and am pretty busy. Besides, I'm a good wood worker when it comes to cabinet building and refinishing, but have never done checkering. So I'd like to get it into the hands of an expert for that.

Mine, like most old 11-48's, has the pressed flat diamonds (really rectangles). I've heard these can either be cleaned up and made to stand out better, or pointed up in the traditional diamond pattern. We'll see what Doug recommends.

In other words, if your stocks are not split at all, I'd really consider re-finishing them. 11-48 forend pieces that are not split are hard to come by. Dents can be steamed out, scratches removed, etc. Some of these old Remingtons had very nice wood grain for a field gun stock. You might find a replacement stock to function well, but not have as nice of a grain pattern. It certainly wont have the memories and patina. A good refinisher can keep a litle of the patina but make it look otherwise new.