CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg Maverick 88
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 am 
Utility Grade

Would the Mossberg Maverick 88 be a good entry gun to duck hunting and are they reliable.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg Maverick 88
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes to both questions if you have a limited budget.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I was selling guns, I sold several Mavericks to a duck and goose guide. He told me he had many clients who either left their gun at home, or showed up with a POS, and the Mavericks held up fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are neither fancy or tight but they are inexpensive and reliable. I bought a used one off G.B. 3 years ago and it serves as my loaner gun for friends who are new shooters and might abuse it and also as my zombie fighter. The many accesories that are sold for the 500 will also work on the 88 including extra barrels.Don't be alarmed by the loose forearm,it is not a defect.Hey what do you expect from a shotgun costing less than$200.00 ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Spend a few more buck$ and buy a Remington 870 Express.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:55 pm 
Crown Grade

I have owned Remington Wingmasters, Mossberg 500s, and currently also own a Maverick 88 in 20 gauge. I have repaired enough Remington Express models to make them usable that I will no longer put one in my hands, ever. The Maverick or Moss. 500 is a much more trouble-free gun, in my opinion. Remington should be embarassed to offer the Express for sale, again, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:29 pm 
Utility Grade

I use this gun for duck hunting and trap shooting and have put well over a thousand rounds through it. I also am pretty rough on it and have not had one malfunction. You also don't feel bad when you dunk it because of the low cost.

Good things come to those who shoot straight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mossberg/Maverick firearms aren't fancy but they work great. On the the other hand I will never buy another one b/c their customer service is horrendous. When I buy a firearm I always factor in the quality of Customer Service.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:44 am 
Limited Edition

cdbeagle wrote:
Mossberg/Maverick firearms aren't fancy but they work great. On the the other hand I will never buy another one b/c their customer service is horrendous. When I buy a firearm I always factor in the quality of Customer Service.

I've owned several Mossbergs including the Maverick. I don't know about their customer service because I've never had a problem with one of their guns. They are real basic guns but they seem to shoot and last. I know several guys who have really nice shotguns but unless there is a reason to show off they take their Mossbergs to the duck blind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:02 am 
Crown Grade

I have had an experience with Mossberg customer service-different than most, it seems. I had a primer ejector problem with my blackpowder conversion barrel. I followed the instructions on their website, mailed it to them, and had it back repaired free of charge in 18 days! It cannot get better than that. After that I bought a 20 gauge Maverick, which has not and probably never will need to be repaired . Their pumps are very owner serviceable, being so simple. I also like how cheap parts are for them. I've owned over 20 Moss. 500 pumps, and all any of them needed was a good cleaning-and some were VERY used!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:25 pm 
Utility Grade

What a lot of people don't understand about the internal workings of a mossberg action is that it may not be smooth but it's dead reliable. When I went through the police academy one of my fellow recruits had a maverick, most of the class had 870's including myself. I saw all kinds of problems out of 870's but he never had any trouble from his maverick and we probably fired 500 rounds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mossberg's are the only shotguns made,right?