CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: browning superposed lightning
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

hi folks, I could use some help. I recently inhereted my grandfather's superposed lighting 2 barrel set (12 gauge), unfortunately he had it in several pieces and we were unable to locate everything. Any idea where I can find the following: forearm cross bolt (screw), both tang screws? the gun was made in 1959 according to the serial number. I have already tried Numrich arms.

Post subject: Re: browning superposed lightning
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Midwestern gunworks used to list most parts, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Brownells also carry parts

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k= ... arm_screws

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Whoa!!!

A 1959 Browning Superposed factory two barrel set is one of the most desirable shotguns in the world. You could order one today for about twenty four thousand bucks for the basic gun and add about ten thousand for the extra barrel set. No kidding. And it wouldn't be as well made, and you'd wait for months, if not over a year.

Those forend and tang screws were custom made for your gun and the screws "indexed" (lined up) and engraved and slotted by the factory and you can't do that at home Grandson!.;)

The one and only place to have these done is at Art's Gun Shop. Art worked for the Browning service center in Arnold Missouri for about thirty years and Art can make your Grandpa's Superposed look exactly as new. At the same time he'll check out your shotgun and see what, if anything, else it needs.

Your shotgun set is probably worth between a bottom dollar minimum of a thousand dollars to perhaps three thousand dollars, depending on condition, originality, and options. But it's a family heirloom, and something else you need to consider. I've seen dozens of Superposed shotguns, I own a couple, and I'm a regular shotgun addict. I have never seen and picked up a Superposed with a a factory extra barrel set. I have seen them advertised, but I've never actually held one in my hands. They are not at all common. And, a late 1950's Superposed is the absolute high water mark of quality for a Superposed,,,and there are differences in build quality over the years.

Please don't have some jackleg gunsmith replace your missing screws. Don't even think about doing it yourself. You can't even buy a common, cheap new shotgun for what Art will charge you to make your Superposed two barrel set into a gorgeous gun.

Do not ever shoot steel shot through your gun, no matter what anyone tells you. Pick up a cheap late model used shotgun to shoot steel shot through. Expensive hand made shotguns like the Superposed are NOT set up to be pounded and battered by ridiculously heavy loads or steel shot or buckshot or slugs. A Superposed will fire hundreds of thousands of regular lead shot target or field loads and last for generation after generation if properly cared for.

Your Grandfather was a classy, classy guy.

Here's Art's web page. You can surely pony up to have Art put three screws in your gun,,and no whining!!! After all, Grandpa had to buy the thing in the first place.;)
http://www.artsgunshop.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm 
Crown Grade

here, I've dealt with them for years. Give them a call...
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:27 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for all the info. SuperXOne, you gave me a LOT of info. I will be contacting Art very soon. As far as my granddad being a classy guy, yes he was. He loved guns (a tait that I toook on as well), collecting many through the years. This is the only Superposed i own, but I have 3 Citori's (am a Browning and Ruger NUT).