CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading Trap Loads
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:45 am 
Field Grade

Hey guys. I shoot trap with 20 gauge ( gonna get a 12 here soon) and I wanna start reloading my own ammo. What kind of savings am I looking at by reloading? Shells cost me about $4.50 for a box of 25 at Wally-World. I buy either Federal Target Loads or Winchester Super Speed.

Would I be able to re-use the hulls or would I need to buy new ones all the time? I read that the Remington Gun Club shells can be re-used, but I haven't seen them lately. I buy 4 boxes at a time so it comes out to a little under $25 for 100 shots. I want to start reloading mainly so I'm not making trips to buy more all the time and maybe save some cash, if I can.

H&R Pardner Pump 20 Gauge Synthetic Stock
Soon to own H&R Topper Trap 12 Gauge
Want to own Benelli Vinci 12 Gauge

Post subject: Re: Reloading Trap Loads
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:55 am 
Tournament Grade

You can reload almost any empty hull as long as you identify it properly and use reloading data from a reliable, tested source. The better quality hulls such as Winchester AA will allow for more loads before they become useless. It also depends to a degree on the type of shotgun you are using. O/U and SxS are a little more forgiving on reload variations. You will save money but it takes some time to offset the initial cost for equipment and components. How much you save depends on how inexpensively you can buy components and the price you put on you time. If you do not use a large quantity of shells and have time, a single stage press would be cost effective. If you go through alot of shells you might want to look at a progressive press. Be sure to use data from a reliable source, this is not the place to mix and match components for home made recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:15 am 
Diamond Grade

The forum trapshooters.com has a cost calculator. Do some research on costs of components( you must buy in bulk) plus the reloaders as well. You will decide for yourself with facts. Personally, I reload but I have a stock of home made and commercial shot (bought at $20/bag) shot. Also, I prefer Remington hulls because they are one piece/compression formed and I have my loaders tuned up for them. When my stash of shot gives out I will have to look at it some more. I figure I am good for about 2+ years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:04 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm about the same as Strut64. I have most of a pallet of shot bought in the early 90's, a good sized stash of wads and primers. I don't usually buy powder in much over 8 lbs at a time unless I get a deal on it. But I always watch shot and other component prices. If I see a dip in prices, I'm usually ready to buy more. I figure the amount of shot on hand will last me about 5-6 years before I'm back on the market for some.....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

As others have stated it really comes down to the cost of your components. Lead being the #1 culprit in raising your cost per round.

Buy the Remington Sport Loads at Wally World. They are a dollar or so more expensive than the Winchesters. The Sport Loads use the Gun Club hull. Shop hard for the components to "refill" these great hulls.

Check your local gun clubs for component sales.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

You may eventually see a savings... "may" and "eventually" being key.

You'll be buying a reloading press, a decent scale or balance, setting up a work area and buying reloading components (powder, shot, primers and wads) in bulk after you've picked a hull to use and the loading data you want to follow. If you're going to see savings, it won't be until you've paid down the press, scale and work area.

Unless you have a reliable source of free, low-mileage replacement hulls you can figure on getting 6 to 10 reloads out of a hull (if it's a good quality reloadable hull) before you have to buy replacement hulls or new shells to get new hulls.

Buying reloading components by mail sinks any savings you might have seen by reloading your own shells especially if you have to buy powder and/or primers that way. There is a hazardous materials fee (usually $20) added to the shipping costs for these items. If you have a reloading supplies dealer locally, you may have to base your decisions about components on what you can get OTC to avoid paying shipping and HAZMAT fees.

Last edited by Gêst on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

For the above stated reasons, hard $$ savings are tough to accomplish w/ 12 or 20 ga. But factor in the non-quantifiables: satisfaction of breaking targets (or taking game) with ammo you reload yourself, the ability to produce a premium quality shell at roughly the same cost as the promotionals, being able to "fine tune" a load to fit your particular gun/ requirements or load shells not locally available, (where would you find 12 ga, 1oz loads 8 1/2 shot?), having fun communicating with guys on this forum,and etc. PS-I like to reload!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

AMEN to JM423!!

Good thing that my MEC Sizemaster was given to me by my brother-in-law!! But still locally I hear that 7 1/2 and 8 shot has risen to $40.00/25lb bag!!! I hope I can wait this price hike out.