CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is Super Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:01 pm 
Limited Edition

What is different about Super sporting and the standard sporting clays? I'm referring to what they have at the National Tournament.

Post subject: Re: What is Super Sporting Clays
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don't know for sure, but I think it is when they have 3 (or more) traps per station. Then the shooter may need to shoot a variety of target presentations at each station rather than the exact same pair 3 or 4 times. It adds variety to the shooting, but it slows down the time it takes to shoot the course, and it results in a lot more wasted "show" targets.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

It is like a combination of sporting and fitasc, some say the best of both. There are 3 traps per station. You shoot a combination of singles, report pairs and true pairs at each station. You never repeat any combination, shot it at the Nationals and it was fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Shot Super Sporting at the Nationals. Three machines at eack station. They show you only one of each target. If you have a station with true pairs, you do not get to see the PAIR, only single targets. First shooter gets the short end, seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

FITASC lite.

KK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Capt Rich wrote:
Shot Super Sporting at the Nationals. Three machines at eack station. They show you only one of each target. If you have a station with true pairs, you do not get to see the PAIR, only single targets. First shooter gets the short end, seriously.

This is different at every course. I've seen some where they show you every combination and others just show you one of each target. The AC should address this in their upcoming meeting. On that note, they should make a rule that states the machines must be labled A, B and C from left to right like most 5 stands. (I will add this suggestion to Dave's thread about rules and the AC meeting)

I love 50 target super sporting events (100 is a bit much for my small brain to process).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Super Sporting is something different at every course I've every shot it.
Normally, three traps per station.
But I've seen Super Sporting where the presentations are "normal" and others that "super" means out of the ordinary TOUGH targets, as in really long and or fast.

In Michigan, many courses "regular" tournaments are three traps per station. For those courses the reports are shown as well as the true pair, as the true pair normally have one of the "report" paired with the third trap as a double! ( Those course with three per station are not billed as super sporting! Super sporting here mean "Quigly type" targets.

I've shot Super sporting "out east" where the station did have three traps and they called that "Super Sporting."

If we are going to change any rules about show pair, my vote is every target is shown as they will be presented! That is if you have more than two trap, the you are going to throw both report and true pairs ( from any combination of two to four tarps) you get to see the PAIRS as well as the singles that will be on report!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Unplugged-
From what I read in Clayshooting USA's coverage of Nationals, Super Sporting started out by being super tough targets. Now, it's more about never shooting the same pair twice. Super sporting is usually set up on the small bore course as a side event at big shoots. The targets are fun, but usually not extreme.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Bustingclays,
That may be what "sporting clays USA" says it is, but I've seen it played many different ways. And as I said in Michigan we have many courses that use three traps per station for "normal" tournaments.
The way it is played as a "side game" has also varied in different parts of the country.

I can't see "tying the setters or course owners hands" by defining Super Sporting as only being shot like they did at Nationals..

I would also like to see "singles" back into the game of Sporting Clays!! On a more regular basis..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
What is Super Sporting Clays?

Of course that's when you run 50 or 100 straight. That is really "Super" on most days.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

Unplugged-
I don't know where in the midwest you're located, but I think you would like the targets at Cedar Hill. For years, most stations are 2 report then 2 true or 2 report then reverse the order of the last 2 pair. Their last 3 tournaments have include a very long single (2 shot) target on the last station. This is the format for their regular tournaments and don't call it super sporting.