CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Needing advise on O/U for skeet entry level
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:23 pm 
Field Grade

I', a rather new shooter at my trap and skeet club that I joined. Me and a couple other friends joined about 4 months ago . We shoot only at the trap range so about 50 rounds a week on average. I shoot an old Savage 12 gauge 755a with a 30" barrel and I believe a full choke. I realize its probably not the right gun for trap buts its all that I have at the moment. I do not like the fact that it doesn't have a vented rib or a middle bead.

So, I keep looking over at the skeet guys and I just know we're headed there to shoot soon.With that in mind, I think I want to buy an O/U 12 gauge for skeet. I am looking for a descent "entry level" gun because I really don't know how serious I'm going to get.

I read a lot about these IZH 27's on shotgun world , now being called the MP310 from Baikal and really liked the 12 gauge sport version but I can't seem to find a store that sells it. Gander Mountain sells only the 20 gauge for the MP310 sport which seems odd to me. Dicks doesn't carry them at all. I really don't want to order out of state ( I live in New York state ) , in case I have problems, it would be difficult to return or get fixed.I went to Dicks and held the Steven 512 Goldwing, and that really felt good, light and fit me well and looked really nice for $600.00. Opened easily , even for a new gun. But then I read that they tend to have problems with firing pins breaking , so that turned me off. Maybe it shouldn't have?

I know a lot of people are going to recommend the Browning that I really like but there over $2000.00 for a new one, and I really wanted to keep this purchase around $600.00- $800.00. The Brownings and Berettas are to expensive for me for entry level knowing I'm not sure how serious I will be in the future.

I would love to hear your suggestions, especially about the Stevens 512.

And one last thing. I realize the O/U isn't ideal for trap but could I use it ? I mean, would it be as good or better then what I'm using now for trap?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Needing advise on O/U for skeet entry level
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Where in NY are you? I might be able to help you out.

There's good reason why many local shops don't carry the cheap doubles... most have had such headaches with them that they just give up after a while, but the good think is that for $800 you can find a used Browning or Beretta if you are patient.

Lastly, you mentioned that the Stevens felt "light" and "fit well". Light is a VERY bad thing for a skeet gun. If you've never done this before, how would you know if it fit or not?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:00 pm 
Field Grade

I live in Penfield NY suburb of Rochester.

Fit. Well your right , I am new . It felt good , and the 2 beads lined up for me as I looked down the barrel . Yesterday I held an 11-87 and looked down it, and the back bead was about 1/4" to the right of the front bead. I had to really force my cheek over to line up the 2 beads. It felt really bad and I would think that is one thing that is considered for fit. As far as up and down goes on the beads I'm not sure. I read somewhere they should make an 8. So your right , I need to learn a lot more.
A used good condition Browning or Baretta for $800.00 would interest me. I just haven't seen any even close to that price ...............

thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm on the other side of the state from you, but maybe someone closer can help. If you're ever in the Albany area, feel free to drop a line.

Regarding fit-- you haven't done this before, and thus have no form to be fit against. A lesson with a professional instructor would likely do wonders.

$800 Brownings are pretty easy to find. You just have to be patient, then be ready to jump when you see one for sale... you can't "think about it for a few days". SKBs are VERY easy to find for $800. Berettas... less frequently, but they do come up from time to time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:20 pm 
Field Grade

I have an MP310 sporting model. I have about 1600 rounds through it and have yet to see any issues. $500 out the door brand new. Yes, it was a bit tight for the first few hundred rounds, but it loosened up nicely.

I reccomend it to anyone. there are a few things you need to do with new guns to help break them in, but a better investment over any gun $1,000 or more brand new. I cant bring myself to spend 4 digits on a gun. It my thing, cant fix that. I bought mine through gallery of guns and have a lifetime warranty, so i am good for a while.

A guy I shoot with has a few brownings and now has one baikal to show off and shoot on the weekends, they are good guns for the money

Baikal MP-153 Semi Auto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:23 am 
Limited Edition

I have 3 Baikals, no complaints, no they don't look as nice as my Berettas but they function fine and fit me very well. You might check out the CZ O/U as well, a step up in fit and finish from the Baikal, don't own one but have heard good reports about them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:39 pm 
Field Grade

I have and use a baikal o/u for skeet, but also shoot an express 870 for the same. You don't need an o/u to shoot skeet. America is full of cheap pump's if you are on a budget. OMHO ATB Dickie.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:52 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you for all this input so far. I still am considering the Baikal MP310 sporting, which is the old IZH 27 , but I have a chance to buy a Stevens 512 Goldwing 12 gauge , practically new ,localy with approx $200.00 of chokes and a case for $500.00. It only has 12 boxes through it. I'm not a huge shooter, maybe 100-150 rounds a month. If this gun gets me through a couple of years I would be happy. I've heard and read the negatives on this gun , I'd appreciiatte some positives. Let me put it this way. The Baikal MP310 sport or the Stevens 512 Goldwing , both O/U's . What would you suggest ? I'm looking to spend $600.00 or less.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

I have the spr 310 Spartan which I understand to be the same gun as you propose. I am more than happy with mine and would recommend it. However it really does come down to your own choice and being happy with the choice that you make. The amount of shooting that you intend to do should put very little stress on any of the guns that you propose. So pick what you like the best, shoot it, clean it, enjoy it and let others do the worrying. I hope that things go well and that you don't let other peoples prejudices spoil your enjoyment. Stay safe Best regards Dickie.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 pm 
Crown Grade

Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=253741

If you want to buy a very good O/U, NIB, from a very well-regarded manufacturer, at an excellent price, here it is:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =269515517

If I wasn't saving to buy a new trap gun, I would have bought it already.

NOTE - Any time you can buy a NIB CZ for about the same price as my beloved Stoeger Condor, you've got to spread the news. :D

P.S. I almost forgot. Check out the Lanbers in the CDNN catalog (pg. 64) Another well-respected O/U at a great price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:41 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a standard izh 27 with thousands of rounds through it. I bought it nib and love it, never had any failures. Extractors/ejectors can be switched back and forth with the turn of a screw.

Griz is giving great advise, CZ, Lanber, Yildiz(hard to find in the N.E. sold at Academy sports in the south) and Baikal seem to be the best of the "cheap" o/u shotguns.

My new little buddy, Master Chuin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

Ok , so after about 2 months of research I finally bought a new gun . I bought the USSG Baikal MP310 sporting 12 gauge O/U. Which is the old izh 27 . i just had to get the sporting model for an extra $200.00. Bought it from Gallery of Guns for $600.00 . That includes delivery to my local dealer taxes and all. With a lifetime Warranty ! As an entry level gun , my first O/U I can't wait to shoot it. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and opinions with me. It was very helpful ! This is the best website !!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:47 pm 
Crown Grade

Good luck with your new gun! Shoot the heck out of it!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

Yes absolutely, get out and enjoy your new toy. I am sure you will have a good time with it. Lets all of us know how things go. ATB Dickie.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:24 pm 
Field Grade

I will be giving a full report .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:47 pm 
Field Grade

question: I bought the USSG Baikal MP310 sporting 12 gauge O/U with 30" barrels . It comes with 4 chokes. I am only going to shoot primarily skeet and some trap. Will these chokes work for me ? What choke do I use for trap, a full ? And which 2 do I use for skeet ? I see I can buy a "skeet" choke. Is that any different than the chokes I have. The 4 chokes I have range from cyl to full. Would it be a good idea for me to buy new chokes? Just starting out , what do you suggest. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:50 pm 
Field Grade

Just screw the most open chokes in that you have, for skeet, and the tightest that you have for trap and get out and shoot the thing. Chokes can really do your head in and there is a whole art involved in actually matching choke to barrel and then to cartridge that you just don't want to get into at present. If you feel happier go spend some money on some chokes, but I really feel you should get some cartridges through the gun first. JMHO ATB Dickie.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

Pattern your gun with each of the chokes. Select the choke with the best coverage and spread for the game you are going to play. For skeet it may be the cylinder choke or improved cylinder. For standard trap it will probably be the modified or full. It really doesn't matter what the designation of the choke is but that it throws the best pattern for the intended use.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Last edited by silverbowff on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 am 
Presentation Grade

if you decide you need additional chokes check out Carlson chokes. i have them for my 310 and MP220 and they are much better made than the Baikal chokes. reasonably priced also.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:48 pm 
Utility Grade

I started shooting skeet and trap on my SPR 310 - and it was incredibly reliable. Trulock produces a nice line of extended choke tubes for these guns.

4 years later I upgraded to a Browning .... but the SPR 310 stil lives in the safe! Buy it, enjoy...