CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1994 Browning A500 Ducks Unlimited.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:06 pm 
Field Grade

Hello , I just purchased a Browning a500 DU from GunBroker.Com. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer for me. First , I asked the seller if is was an "Recoil or Gas" operated Shotgun. He responded back with " I don't know". I know that they made the "G" versions from 1990-1993 , and with this being a 1994 (1993 Production) I would think it would be a Gas operated gun. If any one could verify this that would be great.

Also the Gun only includes 1 Full choke, I'm pretty sure it takes "Standard Invector" Choke tubes. Of course I'm going to buy some additional chokes , and wondered where is the best place to buy them , and If I can Shoot steel shot out of the Full choke , Or should I use and Improved modified with steel shot ( for Waterfowl).

Also I noticed there isn't any solid videos or websites with a disassemble walk through.

Here are some pictures :

Post subject: Re: 1994 Browning A500 Ducks Unlimited.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Very Nice looking Gun. You will have to take the forend off and show us that photo. I can tell then if it is gas or recoil. Also if You can slide the barrel down into the recever it is recoil. You can get Invector tubes from Briley. You should NEVER shoot steel out of a Full Choke.

I had a a500 G and it was a piece of junk. It did not look like that however.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:27 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

FatMatt_92 wrote:
First , I asked the seller if is was an "Recoil or Gas" operated Shotgun. He responded back with " I don't know". I know that they made the "G" versions from 1990-1993 , and with this being a 1994 (1993 Production) I would think it would be a Gas operated gun. If any one could verify this that would be great.

See: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=147129.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm 
Field Grade

Well , I know now that its a gas operated version. Still looking for a Disassemble walk-through or Video , Etc...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Why not just read the owners manual from Browning, on their website?

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:03 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the poorest autos that Browning every made. IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

Ole Cowboy wrote:

Thanks for you opinion. Anybody else have any negativity to add.

Post subject: 1994 Browning A500 Ducks Unlimited.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

The problems with this gun was in the r models and this is a g gas model. The later guns were good semi's and got a bad rap due to the early r problems.

I have a 94 DU gun as well. Mine never been fired with the du gun case, paper work and browning manuals with the extra chokes. I think my number is 181 out of the 1000. It was the last produced gun in the a500 series.

You have a good gun, some day the may come up in value. Not a demand for them right now though unfortunately. Hang on to it and keep it new in box condition. Try to find a few other du guns to put next to it.

As far a duck gun, I would buy another like a used browning gold or Winchester x2 to use and not a full choke for steel. Improve mod is a good choke to run. Nothing wrong with shooting the a500 but the value will nose dive compared to buying and selling a used gold.

Nice gun and I'm not bad mouthing it at all. I like mine, just don't want to shoot it, I have another a500g that I dove hunt with all day long, never a problem. Some hate the du guns and don't like the gold enlays. I have to say these guns and beautiful blueing and the wood on mine is gorgeous.

Enjoy and congrats on the browning.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm 
Field Grade

burleybanshee wrote:
The problems with this gun was in the r models and this is a g gas model. The later guns were good semi's and got a bad rap due to the early r problems.

I have a 94 DU gun as well. Mine never been fired with the du gun case, paper work and browning manuals with the extra chokes. I think my number is 181 out of the 1000. It was the last produced gun in the a500 series.

You have a good gun, some day the may come up in value. Not a demand for them

right now though unfortunately. Hang on to it and keep it new in box condition. Try to find a few other du guns to put next to it.

As far a duck gun, I would buy another like a used browning gold or Winchester x2 to use and not a full choke for steel. Improve mod is a good choke to run. Nothing wrong with shooting the a500 but the value will nose dive compared to buying and selling a used gold.

Nice gun and I'm not bad mouthing it at all. I like mine, just don't want to shoot it, I have another a500g that I dove hunt with all day long, never a problem. Some hate the du guns and don't like the gold enlays. I have to say these guns and beautiful blueing and the wood on mine is gorgeous.

Enjoy and congrats on the browning.

I appreciate your kind response. My 63 year old father and I decided to start waterfowl hunting. He was dead set on "Ducks Unlimited" guns to use in the field. I can respect the collector value ,but it will definitely be hunted with. I'm not that concerned with the value of them , I've seen them for sale all day in the 1100-1200 dollar range. And we had to bid aggressively to win this beautiful browning at 585 + shipping. It might seem like a lot of dough ,but let me tell you we barely won the auction. We will start collecting DU guns ,but for way more sentimental reasons than just your average DU gun collectors would be. Again thanks ,Matt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm 
Field Grade

I have just bought a 1992 date A500R. I read all the negative feedback about this gun, but wanted one anyway. I have put a couple of boxes of shells through the gun at clays and it functioned fine. I am on the lookout for a A500G to go with it.
Regards
Peter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:28 pm 
Limited Edition

DU Guns are a great Value, better wood, lots of bling, extra engraving, ect. How can you go wrong? And most are unfired.

I bought an entire collection from Cabelas Gun Library about 6 years back, I got them at about 50 cents on the dollar, all unfired with cases. I have a B-80, BPS 12ga, BPS 28ga, A-5 20ga, Remington 1100\870 20ga pair, Pair of Weatherby Patricians, Pair of Weatherby Centurions. I paid an average of $450 per gun (with exception of the A-5) all NIB, and the wood on these guns will knock you over. Great value.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:50 pm 
Crown Grade

I bet you didn't get the DU Model 12, the DU SX1 and the Miroku built DU 20 gauge Model 12 in that group. :P :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:13 am 
Field Grade

amg wrote:
DU Guns are a great Value, better wood, lots of bling, extra engraving, ect. How can you go wrong? And most are unfired.

I bought an entire collection from Cabelas Gun Library about 6 years back, I got them at about 50 cents on the dollar, all unfired with cases. I have a B-80, BPS 12ga, BPS 28ga, A-5 20ga, Remington 1100\870 20ga pair, Pair of Weatherby Patricians, Pair of Weatherby Centurions. I paid an average of $450 per gun (with exception of the A-5) all NIB, and the wood on these guns will knock you over. Great value.

I agree 100% about the value and quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:06 am 
Limited Edition

I recently acquired a Win. 23 DU 12 Ga.

Not a whole heap different to a couple of other model variations other than FANTASTIC wood !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't think the A500 will ever have much collector value so I would shoot it. I had a sporting clays a500g and shot it for about 10 years. It always worked well. It was way heavy for an upland gun and I sold it for that reason.

I never had any issues with it. I used IM choke for steel to shoot pheasants, ducks, and geese. If I knew then what I know now, I might have gone with LM or IC.

Mine was stocked a little funny and that might have been just the Sporting Clays version. It shot really high for me. Great for trap. I shot more pheasants with that gun than any other I have. It has taken me more that five years to learn to cover a bird to hit it because the a500 printed so high for me.

Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 am 
Field Grade

The Browning will be @ my FFL on Tuesday. I plan on putting 200-250 shells through it at clays. Then I'll chime back in with a report of fit,finish,and reliability issues. Its a Browning, I'm not that worried about it. Thanks for everyone's Reponses. Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FatMatt_92 wrote:
Ole Cowboy wrote:

Thanks for you opinion. Anybody else have any negativity to add.

The only negative I can add is that this fine looking gun is in your cabinet and not mine....LOL

Good luck and enjoy, nice purchase.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Late to the party, but heck of a nice shotgun. I just bought an A500G in mint condition and I love it. Shoots clays like a champ. I agree that the manual is one of the worst manuals for anything I've ever read.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

i have the full set a500 a500r a500g all work fine .good luck with yours! by the way the a500 and a500r are the same gun just look different on the outside.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:56 am 
Utility Grade

Golda5,
Does your A500G have a washer in the gas system like in the picture below? It's not in the manual and I suspect its just there to help snug up the forearm. I see no other purpose for it.