CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: simmons quails fargo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 pm 
Utility Grade

In the 60s I owned a fox side by side which was upgraded by Simmons and called a Quails Fargo. I foolishly sold the gun as a kid and would love to find one again. Anyone know of one for sale?

Post subject: Re: simmons quails fargo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 am 
Crown Grade

They show up on Gunbroker.com from time to time. One was sold there last November. You will have to keep checking. It may take a while, but eventually you will score.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Still looking for a Quails Fargo?

-Nick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:06 am 
Utility Grade

I saw someone who was offering Fargo on eBay one week ago, check eBay and I believe you will find your request..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

It was a Stevens 311

Richard Baxter (1615-1691), Directions Against Covetousness
"Be more careful to use what you have, than to get more."

Kingsley Brown "Shoot more, shop less."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:12 pm 
Crown Grade

I kind of, sort of, made something similar back in about 1975, only mine didn't have a vent rib, single trigger, or any chokes. But it still killed a bunch of quail. :D
It was my first shotgun, given to me by my parents in 1969. Some a$$hole stole it from me in the '80s. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

tylerr1 wrote:
I saw someone who was offering Fargo on eBay one week ago, check eBay and I believe you will find your request..

Ebay does not allow gun sales on their site. Maybe Gunbroker or Auction Arms?

NRA Life Member

"Profanity is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully"--author unknown
"This is a big f__king deal!"--Vice President Joe Biden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Back in the 80's I used to write for a small midwesten magazine called "The Outdoor Iowan". I wrote articles about hunting, dog training, and firearms. One of the articles I wrote was about a Simmons Quails Fargo I ran across at a gun shop in Mason City, IA. I couldn't find anything in my firearms library and the gun shop owner didn't know anything so I called Simmons. I had a very interesting interview with a gentleman who's name I can no longer remember. Now that I've set the stage and hopefully establish a little credibility I like to pass along what I learned.

There is a lot of background about how the arrangements were made but, I don't believe anyone in this forum is interested in that. The long and short of it is Simmons bought actions from Stevens and Dakin in the white. They did the stock work and the case hardening, built their own barrels, and attached their Simmons rib and a florescent bead. Unfortunately by the time I'd learned all about the Simmons and dashed back to purchase it someone else had beaten me to it.

I've visited Simmons several times over the last 30 plus years and have seen some outstanding two barrel sets they produced for their customers. In all cases they built the second set of barrels for the set in their shop. I haven't been back in 7 or 8 years so I don't know much about the shop now that it has changed hands. But, if you are fortunate enough to find or own one of these little gems you've got something very special.