CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 vs Maverick 88
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

Was in my local Walmart yesterday seeking the Federal "Top Gun" $4.77 a box shells. Save that story for another thread. While there I checked out what guns were on display at the gun counter. They had a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 and a 12 gauge Maverick 88 in the rack side by side. Got to thinking about the price difference. It was about $100 more for the 500. Visually the only difference was the Mossberg's laminate wood stock and a vented recoil pad. The Maverick had its black plastic stock and "chunk of rubber" pad. Would you pay the extra $100 or so for the 500 if these were the only differences? Would it have been better for Walmart if they had rearranged the guns in the rack so that the 870 Express (there were 2 of these) separated the Mossberg from the Maverick?

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 500 vs Maverick 88
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is not much difference between the two . The 2 of them are able to interchange almost all of their parts with the exception of the safety which has a different location on both. The 500 is U.S. made while the 88 is assembled in Mexico ,thus the price difference.I was able to use a 500 manual to learn how to take apart and clean the used 88 I bought.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:54 pm 
Field Grade

In my area this price differance is closer to $50, I'm just partial to wood and top saftey, been useing a 500 for fourty years, see no reason to go cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Why anybody who actually had the money to buy the 870 Express at Wal Mart for $297 would pay about the same money for a Mossberg 500 is what amazes me.

Folks, I find no actual fault with a Mossberg 500. They shoot well, they don't break, and their owners are generally happy as clams. I even own one.

It's not that a Mossy 500 (or it's Mexican brother the Maverick 88) is a bad gun, it's rather that a Remington 870 is a lot better that makes me recommend the 870 to all the parents of the kids who s

hoot FFA trap each year at our local school. The Remington points, handles, and shoots nearly as well as any shotgun made at any price, and any of us regulars who go out on Wednesday night and shoot skeet under the lights could pick up an Express 870 and shoot it very nearly as well as we do any shotgun we own, without exception. We can't do that trick with a Mossberg. We'd have to get used to the adequate but not excellent balance and the trigger pull on the Mossy. We'd be wanting our regular guns back.

Buy the Remington 870 and forget about either Mossberg. Don't ever buy any Winchester Universal shells. You are at Wal Mart anyway, and they sell those Federal shells for less money by the box, and the Federals are way less likely to "stick" in the chamber. Keep the Remington chamber polished, and you'll be very glad you bought it instead of the Mossberg.

I can't imagine that anybody has ever traded in a Remington 870 Express on a Mossberg 500, unless they had shells stick in the Express and didn't know how to polish the chamber to make it stop that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

While I own an 870 Express, I would NOT recommend one to any one. Unless you are a fair gunsmith you will be far better off with an 870 Wingmaster. If you can't afford a Wingmaster, get a Mossberg 500, you won't be sorry with either. If you just can't afford the 500, then go ahead and get the 88. There frankly is no reason to buy an Express as it will cost you money in gunsmithing or cause you aggravation. You are better off with the 500 for the same money as an Express.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm in SuperX's camp on this one. I've had an Express and it was an exceptionally smooth operating pump-gun. Possibly, not the equal of my model 12 but certainly the equal of the 3 Wingmasters I have. I wouldn't discount that the previous owner of the Express polished it up but I know I didn't and it worked flawlessly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Out of the box an Express is not a smooth gun. Yes the action can be polished, yes the chamber can be polished, yes the trigger group can be changed, but you can't make the finish as rust resistant as an Wingmaster. Most people will have more in an Express than they would in a Wingmaster by the time they make it as smooth and jam free as the Wingmaster. Or, they could buy a Mossberg 500, which has a good finish, which doesn't jam, and is smoother than an out of the box Express.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SuperXOne wrote:
Why anybody who actually had the money to buy the 870 Express at Wal Mart for $297 would pay about the same money for a Mossberg 500 is what amazes me.

Folks, I find no actual fault with a Mossberg 500. They shoot well, they don't break, and their owners are generally happy as clams. I even own one.

It's not that a Mossy 500 (or it's Mexican brother the Maverick 88) is a bad gun, it's rather that a Remington 870 is a lot better that makes me recommend the 870 to all the parents of the kids who s

hoot FFA trap each year at our local school. The Remington points, handles, and shoots nearly as well as any shotgun made at any price, and any of us regulars who go out on Wednesday night and shoot skeet under the lights could pick up an Express 870 and shoot it very nearly as well as we do any shotgun we own, without exception. We can't do that trick with a Mossberg. We'd have to get used to the adequate but not excellent balance and the trigger pull on the Mossy. We'd be wanting our regular guns back.

Buy the Remington 870 and forget about either Mossberg. Don't ever buy any Winchester Universal shells. You are at Wal Mart anyway, and they sell those Federal shells for less money by the box, and the Federals are way less likely to "stick" in the chamber. Keep the Remington chamber polished, and you'll be very glad you bought it instead of the Mossberg.

I can't imagine that anybody has ever traded in a Remington 870 Express on a Mossberg 500, unless they had shells stick in the Express and didn't know how to polish the chamber to make it stop that.
I agree 100% that the 870 is one sweet shooter. I am a recent convert to that fact after buying a 30 year old Wingmaster TB Trap.It is superior in handling to any O/U I have ever shot at any price,and its sweet full choke barrel dispels the myth I held of the need for choke tubes in Trap.My 88 is never going to see range duty as it"s not up to the task and is relegated to Zombie watch. However the Express version of the 870 is a horse of a different color.I saw a noob trying out his new Express at the range for the 1st time last week and once again saw shell extraction issues due to a rough chamber.It is so wrong to have this problem with any new gun and for Remington to let this issue continue is unforgivable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I would opt for the Mossberg 500. Not fancy and it works right out of the box. As far as the new Remington shotguns, you can keep 'em, all of 'em! Their QC is terrible and non-existent. Older Remington's are great guns though...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I own two Express barrels, and one of them has done some "sticking", but only with reloaded shells. I was able to polish this chamber slick enough that it quit sticking.

I've looked down the chambers of a lot of Express 870 guns at the FFA trap shoots. Very few of them "stick", and the ones that do I've managed to polish enough they stopped.

Mossy 500's sometimes stick shells the same as an Express. Not as often, though. The cure is the same.

The biggest problem we have today is the use of cheap aluminum headed promotional ammo. Federals just don't stick. Remingtons very seldom stick. Winchester Universals just suck, and are the worst for sticking. But most guns will handle the Universals just fine.

I agree that Remington should fix the sticking issue. Wingmasters will eat any shell of any kind, including Universals, and won't stick until the chambers get really badly fouled.

Every shotgun owner should have a short section of cleaning rod with a tornado brush and steel wool wrapped around the brush. Chuck this rig in an electric drill, lubricate the chamber with gun oil, and polish away until the metal outside of the breech gets hot,,,,then do that some more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

"...any of us regulars who go out on Wednesday night and shoot skeet under the lights could pick up an Express 870 and shoot it very nearly as well as we do any shotgun we own, without exception."

Similar experience.

I shot and hunted early in my life, then did not through college and my early career. I returned to the fields at age 30. I used a loaner 870 Express for doves. It shot fine, and I was hooked and back in the game.

In retrospect, two friends, two brothers and two great dogs totally changed my life when I was in my early 30s. Those buttholes. :D
I might have made something of myself! :shock: