CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: new browning A5?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Orion6 wrote:
I wasn't specifically targeting you Frank. I've seen this reaction on several of the other boards. No offense meant.

{hs# :wink:

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:35 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

cummins wrote:
havent really herd much about them besides the come hell or high water video from browning and was just wondering what people think of this gun and wanted to know a little about it.

As they aren't out yet, you won't be hearing much until production models are actually released.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 pm 
Limited Edition

A few should start trickling out by the end of February to dealers, wood stock version will be first then synthetic to follow around April to May.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:05 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I asked, but the Browning officials didn't have any idea at SHOT as far as availability.

To Browning's credit, at least they have autoloaders coming out that actually look like shotguns, not like they came from Mattel or Hasbro. The wood A5 looks good, as does the Maxus Hunter, Maxus walnut sporting, and the Maxus Ultimate.

Most of the rest just leave me all plastic'ed, extra-grained, and generally technopolymered out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
I asked, but the Browning officials didn't have any idea at SHOT as far as availability.

To Browning's credit, at least they have autoloaders coming out that actually look like shotguns, not like they came from Mattel or Hasbro. The wood A5 looks good, as does the Maxus Hunter, Maxus walnut sporting, and the Maxus Ultimate.

Most of the rest just leave me all plastic'ed, extra-grained, and generally technopolymered out.

Hey now, I feel a lot better about scratching a technopolymer stock than oil-finished walnut. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Slugo wrote:
44-40 Willy wrote:
I like recoil operated over gas operated. I'm waiting for the Sweet Sixteen version to come out.

you'll be waiting a long long time for Browning to offer another 16 gauge...

Browning still offers 16s in over unders. Maybe if the A5 takes off, they'll do the same in it.

Post subject: new browning A5?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Dovebuster, where did you hear end of February for the new A5's to be hitting dealer's racks? Hope these come out sooner than later!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:39 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm glad there will be some competition for Benelli, although the MSRP of the Browning doesn't suggest that it will put much price pressure on the Italian guns (the new Franchi-branded Benellis do offer this, though). Autoloaders that don't have dirty gas systems have always been a good concept, and the more vendors, the better. (Disclaimer: I have 3 autos, they're all gas-operated, and I'm not too excited about autos in general -- but they're a necessary evil that needs to exist. :) )

To Browning: make it in 20 Gauge, and a "Lightning" model, and I promise I will buy one. Add some engraving and upgrade the wood and you'll sucker me right in! Close-radius pistol grips have their place, but that place is on rifles for prone shooting, not on shotguns, and definitely not on bird guns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My original misgivings about the gun since it seemed to be marketed to waterfowlers, was that it would be too heavy for the uplands. But having watched Mr. Wakeman's video from the shotshow it seems that there my be hope yet.

That said, I'm not in the market for a brand new autoloader, so I won't be running out and buying one. But, as BarryD says, if it comes out in a 20 on a light weight receiver I would have to rethink that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:23 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

BarryD wrote:
I'm glad there will be some competition for Benelli

As far as "MSRP's" . . . here's how a few of them compare:

Beretta A400 Xplor UNICO KO, 12GA, 3.5"
$1,865.00
Beretta A400 XTREME UNICO KO, MAX4, 12GA, 3.5"
$1,840.00
Benelli Super Black Eagle II ComforTech® Realtree MAX-4®, 12-GA, 3-1/2",
MSRP $1799
Benelli M2 Field ComforTech® Realtree MAX-4®
$1469
Remington Versa Max® - Waterfowl
$1599
Browning Silver Hunter 3 in.
$1179.99
Browning Maxus 3-1/2" Realtree Max-4
$1599
Browning A5 Hunter
$1559

Naturally, a "MSRP" doesn't mean much. Browning, in particular, has been fairly aggressive with its promotions in addition to that. Various "sign-on" bonuses, tax rebates, free shells, the Cynergy Club, etc., etc.

My impression is that once you get into the $1400 retail range in a new autoloader, it isn't a priced based purchase . . . it is what you want, what you prefer. There are many, many serviceable autoloaders that go bang quite regularly and shoot the same shells. Mossberg 930s, Beretta 3901 / 390s, and Turkish imports that are cheaper yet. It isn't the price, it is what "sends you."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:12 am 
Presentation Grade

Randy, do any of your sources at Browning have anything to say about when the new A5's will come to market?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am 
Crown Grade

The only gun in that list that competes with the A5 is the M2.

Not sure what the point of that post was.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:01 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

As far as when the A5 is due out, I have no precise idea . . . within a few months was a guess, but it was vague.

Well, Barry, you need not agree but as far as I'm concerned, all 7 lb.-ish 12 gauge autoloaders do very much the same thing and are used for the same purposes. All 7 lb. autoloaders compete with each other to certain degree.

Whether you are on the dove field, a round or two of sporting clays, skeet, hunting pheasants, teal, mallards, a turkey hunt . . . you can have just as much fun with a Vinci, an A400, a Maxus, a SBE II, etc., etc., etc. Of course they all compete with each other, it is just what you prefer and what suits you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A year ago I had a chat with a b gun rep that happened to be in a local gun store. He made an interesting comment. He stated that over 90% of all shotgun sales are to existing shotgun owners. Never again will we see guns like the original A5 that go virtually unchanged for 95 years. They have determined that 90% of the sales of a new model will occur in this first 5 years. Because of this they must continuously come out with new models every 4 or 5 years to sell back into the same market.
SBE then SBEII, Vinci then super Vinci, next wood Vinci.

The new A5 is not targeted at the buyer that is buying their first shotgun. Clearly it is marketed at us; current shotgun owners. Its just to bad they couldn't have gone with the A11 or A6.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:44 pm 
Diamond Grade

Stir the pot yet another way...bash Brownng all you want, but how successful will this new gun be when measured up aginst the V max? I bet browning gets things figured out before the gun hits the stores and there won't be any recalls.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:30 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I wouldn't directly compare it to the Versa-Max. The A5 is 3 in. only, far lighter, and is more of an inertia-alternative than a gas-gun alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

Randy, I watched the various videos on the Browning website and the one with the assembly/disassembly caught my eye; the new A5 bolt sure looks the same as the one on my Montefeltro. Did Browning have to pay something to Benelli for that? Any idea how the two actions are different?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 pm 
Field Grade

i have my dads it was new in 53 i started shooting it in lale 60s dosen't get much use anymore just regular cleaning and oil any way i like the new a5 an im getting one i think they are cool

Silver MODB
Golden Clays Sporting Clays

NRA certified instructor Pistol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:22 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

11-87 Shooter wrote:
Did Browning have to pay something to Benelli for that?

I can't imagine why. The Bruno Civolani action is over 50 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

11-87 Shooter wrote:
Any idea how the two actions are different?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ads3NTspQVc[/youtube]

Four locking lugs, 40% reduction in space required to unlock the action, and 10% faster cycle speed is the claim.