CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington Model 31
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:41 am 
Diamond Grade

For whatever reason, I love to shoot old pump shotguns, and I shot a Remington Model 31 last week and the gun ejects like it had ball bearings. What a sweet gun.

I am thinking about buying one of these guns, and I have some questions. Primarily, are parts available for such an old gun?

The gun is smoother by far than a Win Mod 12. Is it smoother than a Ithaca 37?

Post subject: Re: Remington Model 31
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:45 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I think mine is smoother than any other pump gun ever made. Never needed any parts--so I cant answer your question.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:22 am 
Field Grade

The m31 is notorious for its smoothness. The old story about leaning a pump gun up against the wall, touching the action release and having gravity alone open the action started with the m31 (I think). Michael McKintosh, along with just about every other gun writer in US history, is a big proponent of this gun. The advocates of the old Win Model 12 may indeed be legion, but I'll take a 31 anyday--both for function and looks.

I have two right now. One is a 16 ga plain bbl field model that I really love to take to the skeet field and, for whatever reason, shoot much better than I should. The other is a solid rib Hunter model 12 ga with a full beavertail forend. About the only knock one can give to the m31 is its rather hefty weight but, then agian, the m12 has nothing on it in this regard either.

From what I've read, the main reason that Remington replaced the 31 wtih the model 870 in 1950 was the production cost, the earlier gun, like the Model 12, having mostly milled parts, and evidently a lot of people decried the M870 at that time because by comparison it was sort of "tinny"--go figure. Dont get me wrong--I dearly love the 870 and have owned a bunch of them over the yrs, but, in my eyes, they come up a bit short in function and beauty when held up to the m31.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:44 am 
Field Grade

BTW, getting parts might indeed be a bit of a problem. Have not done a real hard search but have not seen many around either.

As for being smoother than the Ithaca m37: hands down, no contest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:31 am 
Diamond Grade

D.F.: Yes, the one I tried was, also, heavy. It was a trap gun and the weight decimated the recoil. I would like to use the gun for skeet, so I wouldn't mind, but, actually, favor the heavier weight. The owner had purchased a "parts" gun, and that is why I was wondering about the availability of parts.

Thanks for the nice post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

J.C. Higgins (Yup...SEARS) also had a pump gun that was either a copy of the Model 31, or made by Remington for Sears. I'd bet the latter. It's an excellent substitute for the 31, equal in quality and and as slippery as mentioned by the previous posters. My dad, a gunsmith of some 45 years, shot his J.C. Higgins 12ga. pump gun for skeet for many years. Dad is gone now and unfortunately I don't have a model number for the Higgins, but he often said that this gun was every bit the gun that the Model 31 was.

A Sailor's Creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:47 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Shooting star: The Higgins may have been smooth but I doubt there is any connection with the Model 31 or Remington. I can't find a cross reference of Sears/Remington(and I have quite a few) . I don't think Remington ever made any guns, pump or otherwise for Sears. Cheers . Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:20 pm 
Amen on the above comments on the 31 Rem. Growing up (some say I never did) in the 50's & 60's on a farm in Iowa, the 31 was my second gun. Years later, after I sold the gun, did I come to appreciate the best pump gun ever made (sorry mod.12 people). Butter smooth, as described above, it's the only way to describe the action. I learned to shoot trap with this 30" full choke gun. I remember shooting a test pattern at 35 yards with light 8's.....super dense, Perazzi only wished they could produce something like it! I ran across a 20ga. about 5 years ago at a gun show, walked away with a real nice one for $275., which was a great price. Always have my eye out for a 12ga. My 20ga. is a dove/pheasant harvesting machine....when I do my part! LOL
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:53 am 
Field Grade

I just picked up a sweet little Remington 31 20ga the other day. Until this post didn’t know beans about it. What sold me? That smooooth pump action. Hell, I’ve never felt anything like it..... And I’m a O/U die-hard!

The guy that I bought it from said when he was in the Army they used these as target training for gunners learning to lead. In fact, the 31 flat out won the bid out of two other pumps that Army was trying out. Glad to see I made a good decision.

Nylo

Pumps are American... Everyone should own at least one. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:43 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

I have several M31s from Dad's collection. He never shot them much,prefering the M12,but always liked the guns. I have a F Grade from right after WWII in 12ga. Also, a 12ga and a 20ga,VR Skeet set from about the same time. Never needed parts,though. These are very smooth guns and the F Grade is a work of art.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have been told that the Mossberg pump was fashioned after the design of M31 Remington. Can anyone give more information on this and how smooth are Mossberg M500s?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Quote:
J.C. Higgins (Yup...SEARS) also had a pump gun that was either a copy of the Model 31, or made by Remington for Sears.

Quote:
Shooting star: The Higgins may have been smooth but I doubt there is any connection with the Model 31 or Remington. I can't find a cross reference of Sears/Remington(and I have quite a few) . I don't think Remington ever made any guns, pump or otherwise for Sears. Cheers . Bushrod

I'm with Bushrod. Remington never made any guns for Sears. The only J.C. Higgins pumpguns I've ever come across or seen reference to were made by Stevens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

There are some similarities in the M31 and the Mossberg 500, but fit and finish are light years apart. I think you will fina almost any new mfg pump will not even come close to the fit and finish of an old M31 or M12. These old guns did not have stamped metal parts. All of them were hand fitted to some extent verses any new pump gun that has a bunch of stamped parts and rough machined receiver. I own a M31 that is well loved. Not much blueing on it and it has a 30 inch full choke barrel with no rib. Smooth as can be. My Mossberg pump does not even compare. Actually the first thing I did when I bought my 500 was take it home and work over all the stamped metal parts with a dremel tool. Removed all the rough edges and burrs. Then followed up with some emory paper. Looked like it had 100,000 rounds through it before I ever fired a shot. Still does not even come close to the smoothness of the "old" pump guns.

I had a chance a few years back to buy a M31 with a trap and a skeet barrel in a hard case with beautiful wood. Just did not have the cash at the time. Wish I had that one now.

APEXDUCK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

ShotgunT wrote:
Quote:
J.C. Higgins (Yup...SEARS) also had a pump gun that was either a copy of the Model 31, or made by Remington for Sears.

Quote:

I'm with Bushrod. Remington never made any guns for Sears. The only J.C. Higgins pumpguns I've ever come across or seen reference to were made by Stevens.

I think you're referring to the J. C. Higgins Model 20, which was made by High-Standard. I have my dad's JC H Model 20 in 12 Ga, and purchased a Rem M31 in 16 ga at a gun show. The action is nearly identical between the two (even the lifters look identical.) I think the High Standard gun was a knock-off of the M31, as Remington was making the M870 at thiat time.

Mike Doerner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm reviving a 6-year old thread, but I thought I'd post a picture of my Remington Model 31 shotgun. Manufactured in 1948, my Grandfather bought this shotgun new at that time, and I inherited it from him. It has a Reinhardt Fajen stock on it. Talk about silky-smooth...I have never found another shotgun with such a great action. I shot 3 rounds of skeet with it today. The buttpad is original, and needs to be replaced, because its hard as a rock after 60 years.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I owned a 31 a few years ago. The 31 and the old High Standard "Flite Kings" have been the easiest pumping slide actions I have known.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:02 am 
Presentation Grade

I own a 1949 Remington Model 31 16ga. 28" barrel mod choke It was referred to as the ball bearing shotgun due to it's smooth pumping action. It is my small game/grouse gun in the Pa fields & forest. It will self open standing on the but & so will my High Standard Flite-King Deluxe Model 121. Herb Parsons was one of the 1st persons to break 100 straight shooting trap with a Remington Model 31.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:39 am 
Presentation Grade

A500R wrote:
...Herb Parsons was one of the 1st persons to break 100 straight shooting trap with a Remington Model 31.

Are you sure about that??---you may want to check your source again A500R.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Yeah, Winchester would have probably been pretty pissed off about that!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:13 am 
Presentation Grade

SS wrote:
Yeah, Winchester would have probably been pretty pissed off about that!

Are you sure about that??---you may want to check your source again A500R.

Read more: posting.php?mode=quote&f=3&p=1955380#ixzz10ojH5S6k

LT.COL. E.S. THROCKMORTON is listed as the 1st person to break 100 straight trap shooting.

I am still looking for the information on Herb Parsons. I know he was Winchesters show shooter.