CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slugs for 20 ga full choke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Can I use 20 ga full choke bbl to shoot slugs? If yes, what kind of ammunition? Probably sabot slugs? I posted same question to Slug forum, but nobody answered... Please help.
I have J Higgins bolt action and want to see if it can be used for deer hunting. Another option is to cut off choke part of the bbl?

Post subject: Re: Slugs for 20 ga full choke
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:18 am 
Crown Grade

Full choke is OK, but you'd be wasting your money on sabots, which are for rifled shotgun barrels. They're no more accurate than plain foster type slugs in a smoothbore. Get some of the plain jane fosters, commonly referred to as "rifled slugs" because of the rifling formed in the sides of the slug itself. It's doubtful that the rifling helps, but they generally shoot pretty well in smoothbore shotgun barrels anyway. They are cheap; get a box each of Winchester, Remington and Federal and see which shoots best in your gun. I'll bet you get good enough short to mid range accuracy through your full choke as is. I wouldn't want to cut the choke out of the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

Use Foster style slugs. With a full choke it may not be too accurate. My 20 gauge IC barrel shoots Remington 23/4" slugs pretty well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Use the foster slugs as the other guys mentioned....I would not cut the choke out of your gun (if someone suggested that to you, stop listening to that person right away)....
actually the foster slugs will work much better from your gun than sabot slugs, In my experience the sabots shoot less accurately from a smooth bore than fosters......
the biggest drawback with your gun is the lack of a good sighting system....I/C choke does have the potential to shoot foster slugs a bit more accurately. (that is usually...but it is not carved in stone, yours might be an exception)
but even so, that would not be to a huge degree....without good sights or a scope...even a gun with the best mechanical accuracy can't preform up to its potential..... Art

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 am 
Presentation Grade

You won't know till you shoot it, I've seen a few full choke guns shoot pretty good fosters only please.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

lizardbreath wrote:
the biggest drawback with your gun is the lack of a good sighting system...

I'm planning to setup simple scope. Looks like hight rings will clear from the bolt.