CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: central arms of st.louis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

hi ,i need help in finding any and all available info on , central arms co st.louis usa double barrel side by side double triggers shotgun it has 30 in barrels ,a safety, markings on receiver 6012(i guess model no.) on other side pat.apr.20-1915 serial no.66972 i recently bought gun at an auction, please help me find all info that is available such as where made, how old, should i hunt with it or is this a valuable find ? oh ,the gun is in pretty good shape but i don't know how to rate guns. thanks errol hunter

Post subject: Re: central arms of st.louis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Here is what I have on Central Arms Co. made by Crescent for H.D. Folsom for distribution to Shapleigh Hardware Co. of St. Louis Mo.

There's a couple of pics of a couple of Crescent doubles here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=169 Either one look like it?

These old trade guns seldom bring more than $200 for a really good example... but the values decline rapidly as wear shows..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:35 pm 
thanks , close but not it . the cresent made american arms knickerbocker was the closest to it but the receiver is a little different am i forgot to mension the stock has checkering on it . i was at a old hunt club that closed down WINGS HUNT CLUB in st.albans ,mo. and i was bidding against 3 different dealers and i got it for $250 all the rest of the guns were very high dollar so i maybe got a bargain ?? thanks errol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

sorry the previous post was me forgot to login :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:29 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Errol,
My list says Central Arms Company: Trade name used by the W.H. Davenport Firearms Company on shotguns made for the Shapleigh Hardware Company of St. Louis, Missouri.
Can't find a picture of a hammerless Davenport double on the web right now. I have to agree with MarlandS on the value. You may be able to get a little more from a Davenport-made store brand than a Crescent, but you'll have to convince the next buyer that it is worth more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I have found references to about all the trade gun manufacturers of the day on Central Arms ,those were IJ, H&A, Crescent , Davenport, Folsom and "some Belgian manufacturer". This isn't real surprising since Shapleigh owned the name and contracted to the lowest bidder, but realistically, I'd think there would only be two possibly three that stamped Central Arms for Shapleigh...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

:?: thanks guys ,just out of curiousity what about shapleigh arms of st.louis . and this shapleigh hardware store are they the same ones who made kerocene lanterns ?

hi guys ,just went to gunsamerica and found pictures of iver johnson hercules 410 and it looks like my gun but they are selling this one for $1000 . o well

Last edited by errolhunter on Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Basically, yes. But they didn't actually make anything to my knowledge, just contracted their name on products like Sears of today.