CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dreaded last round jam on Benelli M2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I took my brand new M2 out today at lunch and it jams on the very last round. I read on this and other forums the carrier latch and spring need to be replaced.

Is Numrich the only ones that have these parts in stock?

The other question is how do I remove the latch? Do I punch out the vertical pin in the receiver holding it in place? Is there anything I should be aware of before I mangle up my new M2?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Dreaded last round jam on Benelli M2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If I had a NEW M2 with a Problem It would be the place I bought the Guns Problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Repairing your new M2 should be Benelli's problem to fix not yours.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did you clean it before you shot it? If not clean it. If so go back where you bought it and talk to them.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes I cleaned it before I shot it. I'll call Benelli, over the years I've been taught to think, "if you want something done right..."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Also what do you mean by "Jam".

Bill S.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:24 pm 
Utility Grade

The last shell ejects from the magazine, but just sits on the carrier. The carrier does not lift up and chamber the shell. The carrier latch looks as if it is wedged against the shell, its stuck.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:34 pm 
Diamond Grade

Could be some crud in the magazine tube,

Just curious, is it brand new or new to you?

Are you using the recommended 1 1/8 oz. shells?

Just saying...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:36 pm 
Utility Grade

It is brand new and I am new to the M2. I may clean out the magazine tube. I did not clean that at all.

ETA: Yeah running 3 DRAM 1 1/8 shells. It runs like a top until that last round.

This is the thread I followed with a very similar problem.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 1&t=259059

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Id try cleaning and lubing the mag tube first then contact the dealer where you got it if it persists. Never had that issue with either of my Benellis. They do not like Winchester ammo and will sometimes get finicky with it. Might try a different brand of shell too just out of curiosity.

Bill S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:07 am 
Diamond Grade

orkman wrote:
It is brand new and I am new to the M2. I may clean out the magazine tube. I did not clean that at all.

ETA: Yeah running 3 DRAM 1 1/8 shells. It runs like a top until that last round.

This is the thread I followed with a very similar problem.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=259059

Well after reading through your link, there seems to have been a problem with some of the carrier latches and/or springs they used in manufacture so maybe you should give them a call.

Sounds like they'll send you out the new replacement parts free. Much easier than sending the whole gun back.

Strange as to why it only affects the last round. Must somehow change the timing.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 am 
Crown Grade

Did you break it in with heavy loads as the manual suggests?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have zero experience with the M2, but I have put many thousands of rounds through Browning A 5 s. When I had that problem it was always either dirty in the magazine tube or the spring was weak and needed to be replaced.

You probably have some heavy grease in the magazine tube or in the carrier latch. Happening on the last round suggests that the tube is dirty.

I would get a can of breakfree powder blaster and use it to clean the trigger group and the magazine tube. This means taking out the spring and cleaning it too.

good luck

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Run a couple of boxes of 3" Magnum loads through it and see if it still does it after that with the 11/8oz loads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:30 pm 
Utility Grade

I am gonna take the latch out to clean behind it real good. On a right handed M2, I just punch the retainer pin out through the bottom of the receiver correct to remove it? Sounds like I need to clean it better and run the max loads. I just thought it was odd that it does it on the last round.

Testing it further, it actually jams on the 7th, 8th or 9th round but only the last round if that makes sense (I have a nordic +5 on it). 6 rounds will run through without issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

orkman wrote:
I am gonna take the latch out to clean behind it real good. On a right handed M2, I just punch the retainer pin out through the bottom of the receiver correct to remove it? Sounds like I need to clean it better and run the max loads. I just thought it was odd that it does it on the last round.

Testing it further, it actually jams on the 7th, 8th or 9th round but only the last round if that makes sense (I have a nordic +5 on it). 6 rounds will run through without issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Now we are getting somewhere. You didn't not explain you have a mag extension on it. IMO, that's your problem, not the Benelli itself. That kind of weight on a inertia type gun, can cause the gun to malfunction. Also, I'm not familiar with the Nordic brand. The tension on your magazine spring from fully loaded to empty is vast. That could be much of your problem. I bet in it's stock form, you would have no issues.

Quote from the new Xrail system site
http://www.xrailbyrci.com/mm5/merchant. ... il_benelli

"RCI’s XRAIL System reduces recoil due to the added weight of the XRAIL System on the gun. Benelli® inertia-drive shotguns using XRAIL Systems have reported no consistency or reliability between Benelli® models, each gun behaves differently. Most owners have reported no issues; others were able to resolve their performance issues by using heavier loads and / or making mechanical adjustments to the trigger group and recoil system; a few were unable to get their particular shotgun to operate at all with the XRAIL System attached."

I still think it's a magazine spring issue but as you can see. There can be other issues. I wouldn't go buying any parts for your gun or attempting to drive out any pins. IMO, that's not your issue and that will not solve anything. It all revolves around your magazine extension. Heavier loads may or may not solves your problem.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I think you are exactly correct Jiganator. I bet I clipped the spring too short. Works fine under more compression for the first, rounds...poops out at the end because I cut it too short. My noobness took over and won this time.

Ordered a new spring and I'll try it again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:43 am 
Diamond Grade

orkman wrote:
I think you are exactly correct Jiganator. I bet I clipped the spring too short. Works fine under more compression for the first, rounds...poops out at the end because I cut it too short. My noobness took over and won this time.

Ordered a new spring and I'll try it again.

If the ad on magazine was designed for the M2, why would you attempt to shorten the spring? When you get a proper magazine extension designed for your gun. There should be no cutting of the magazine spring.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I always love when people come on and complain about an issue and leave out the most important part of the story. :roll:

Bill S.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am 
Field Grade

Here is a quick fix for a magazine spring that you accidentally cut too short. Simply trim another 1/4" off of the offending spring and you got it. :mrgreen: