CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Columbia shotgun
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:40 am 
I have a shotgun with "Columbia" stamped on the side of the trigger housing. The housing appears to be silver plated. On the other side is machine stamped: Patented L.?.C. (cannot make out the middle letter) Aug 1. 96 Aug 14. 00 May 2. 02. The numbers 5 672 appear to be hand stamped on the inside of the trigger guard, under the trigger guard, on the barrel under the wood housing and inside the wood housing (spacing between the numbers is not consistant and not in a straight line, some are a fraction higher or lower than the others). Can anyone tell me anything about this shotgun?

Post subject: Re: Columbia shotgun
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:33 am 
I also have a Columbia Shotgun and I'm trying to find out info about it. 12 ga. single shot. 'Columbia' looks like cursive writing.

I did find in a book on it that Columbia was a pistol maker at the turn of the century (1900) that was a front for a New York firm that the name sounded like an attys firm (ex. blah, blah, and blah). Went out of business in 1911. I don't know if this is the same company.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

All I have on Columbia is it was a trade name used by H.C.Squires other than that i think there was a thread a month or so ago on Columbia shotguns that had a little more info, you might try searching for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:04 pm 
I've got a 20 gauge Columbia Shotgun, that my dad used to shoot when he was young (early 1900's). I've looked for more information on it, but other than what's shown here have not found anything. Can anyone help with further information? I'd like a little bit of history to pass along to my daughter, when she inherits the gun. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Here's is some more info I dug up on Columbia shotguns... can't really verify it but it does fit the timeframe and known manufacturers...

"Columbia" single barrel shotguns were made by the W.H. Davenport Arms Company, Harrington & Richardson Arms Company and the Hopkins & Allen Company.

The Columbia double barrel shotgun was made by Simonis, Janssen & Dumoulin who were Belgium gun makers from 1884 to 1905 were sold by Henry C. Squires (there is some discussion on the years but they only vary by a year or so)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:00 pm 
MarlandS wrote:
Here's is some more info I dug up on Columbia shotguns... can't really verify it but it does fit the timeframe and known manufacturers...

"Columbia" single barrel shotguns were made by the W.H. Davenport Arms Company, Harrington & Richardson Arms Company and the Hopkins & Allen Company.

The Columbia double barrel shotgun was made by Simonis, Janssen & Dumoulin who were Belgium gun makers from 1884 to 1905 were sold by Henry C. Squires (there is some discussion on the years but they only vary by a year or so)

Is there any way to tell from the serial number which company it might be? The one I have is a single barrel, serial #A629328. Really appreciate your help on this!