CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning Maxus problems
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Yesterday while shooting on a pheasant continental shoot my Browning Maxus jammed up and failed to shoot.

Several things occured, the first and repeated problem is that the Magazine Cut off Switch on the left side somehow has a means of working its way backwards until it stops the feeding process. This is a cronic and recurring problem that seems to occur when I am wearing gloves. When this happens a shell will lodge into the lower part of the housing and is nearly impossible to dislodge.
This has happened repeatedly to the point that I am ready to dump the shotgun. Yesterday the shotgun would not eject shells either, totally failed.

Any ideas would be helpful, also has anyone else had the problem?

Post subject: Re: Browning Maxus problems
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Don't you think you're first move should be to either take it to a good local gunsmith or the shop you brought it from, or contact Browning first, before saying your ready to dump the Maxus?

Everyone that I know that has one loves them, and says they are very reliable and trouble free. That's not to say that there couldn't be a lemon, or that yours developed a problem. Its a mechanical tool, and things happen.

I just think you need to have it looked at before you give up on a very good gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm 
Utility Grade

[quote="VTHokiesDuckHunter"]Don't you think you're first move should be to either take it to a good local gunsmith or the shop you brought it from, or contact Browning first, before saying your ready to dump the Maxus?

This problem is a very serious and frustrating and potentially dangerous issue and should not be taken litely. I am not a rookie gun owner and I do not think it user oriented.

I will consult with Browning in the AM about this for a referral to a local gunsmith before dumping it. Could be the magazine cut lever swith is defective or damaged. This gun has seen a fair amount of use in some pretty tough hunting conditions on waterfowl. This is the third time I have experienced difficulties with the magazine cut off switch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:16 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Maxus and was shooting clays one day and noticed that the screw holding the mag cutoff bezel to the gun had backed out and the lever had no spring action to it...the level would not lock in place. I tightened the screw back down and it was OK again. Never experienced any jam ups though. My gun has cycled everything w/o failure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 pm 
Crown Grade

wingmaster01 wrote:
VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
Don't you think you're first move should be to either take it to a good local gunsmith or the shop you brought it from, or contact Browning first, before saying your ready to dump the Maxus?

This problem is a very serious and frustrating and potentially dangerous issue and should not be taken litely.(sic) I am not a rookie gun owner and I do not think it user oriented.

I will consult with Browning in the AM about this for a referral to a local gunsmith before dumping it. Could be the magazine cut lever swith is defective or damaged. This gun has seen a fair amount of use in some pretty tough hunting conditions on waterfowl. This is the third time I have experienced difficulties with the magazine cut off switch.

How did you misconstrue my post to be "taking it lightly" and/or not considering the potential safety issues? In fact, it was meant to take into consideration exactly that issue, i.e, instead of continuing to look at it yourself or taking the advise of random people on the internet, I suggested you take it to a good gunsmith or send it to Browning. That would be the safe, expeditious, and prudent thing to do.

Since you say you are not a rookie, I assume you have looked for loose screws, etc., like the last poster in this thread mentioned. Even more of a reason to send it to someone professional who is experienced with this gun.

And for what it's worth, I've been hunting hard with Browning guns with magazine cutoff's for waterfowl for over 20 years and have never had a problem with the magazine cut-off, including never having my gloves or clothing snag and cause one to move. This is with Auto-5's through Golds & Maxus's. I'm not saying this didn't happen to you, but if the magazine cut-off is functioning properly, it should not easily move with a glove catching on it.

I have had the magazine cut-off "malfunction" when I forgot to move it back to the "forward" position, after operating it when putting in a goose load for example. Always good for a curse word or two and then a laugh with your mates, but that was my fault, not the guns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:44 pm 
Utility Grade

I still have a 1948 browning A-5 my mother gave to my dad and he subsequently gave to me. Yes I have been around Brownings a while, 48 the year of my birth.

I will be taking it in to the gunsmith tomorrow, and trust his judgement on this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Wingmaster:

here's hoping it's an easy, quick and (inexpensive!) fix. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:55 pm 
Field Grade

Is there any truth to the saying "They don't make them like they used to?" In this day & age I've noticed that practically everything is made cheaper these days, companies are cutting corners everywhere. It makes me crazy when I hear people say " I've been shooting my so and so gun for 40 years w/o a problem, HELLO, it's because "They don't make them like they used to!!!!"
I've posted this b4, while it has nothing to do w/ your same problem, it shows that at least the cust. svc. was great....I must have gotten a lemon....after 2 rounds of SC's and some 5 stand w/ my Maxus sporting carbon fiber the fore end got loose & started to wear the finish to bare metal(400 shells)... after that I had a few FTFeed/FTE's, also the finish at the bottom edge of the shell ejection port started wearing to bare metal after just one box of shells, then one day on the 5th SC station I called for the bird, I pulled the trigger & nothing happened, nothing but a "weak click". Lightning trigger? Well I sent the gun back to Browning w/ a lengthy letter followed a week later by a phone call that ended w/ the supervisor issuing me a full refund check. (He offered to fix the gun & send it back to me but I refused), bought another gun...Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

12GACAPT wrote:
Is there any truth to the saying "They don't make them like they used to?" In this day & age I've noticed that practically everything is made cheaper these days, companies are cutting corners everywhere. It makes me crazy when I hear people say " I've been shooting my so and so gun for 40 years w/o a problem, HELLO, it's because "They don't make them like they used to!!!!"

Have you noticed that about every sixth thread is the same. I want a good gun and the cheapest one possible. They don't build them like they used to because no one will buy them for the price and they the company is out of business.

There is a reason I buy stuff from Filson, Danner a few other companies. My Filson coat with zip in liner is nearly $400. It is the only coat I really need and my son can wear it when I am no longer able to get outdoors. Can you say that about Wal-mart clothes?
I bet not, but most people get a horrified look on their face when they see how much quality stuff costs.

To the OP, hope this is an easy quick fix. Keep everyone posted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:11 pm 
Crown Grade

SDGordonsetter wrote:
12GACAPT wrote:

Have you noticed that about every sixth thread is the same. I want a good gun and the cheapest one possible. They don't build them like they used to because no one will buy them for the price and they the company is out of business.

There is a reason I buy stuff from Filson, Danner a few other companies. My Filson coat with zip in liner is nearly $400. It is the only coat I really need and my son can wear it when I am no longer able to get outdoors. Can you say that about Wal-mart clothes?
I bet not, but most people get a horrified look on their face when they see how much quality stuff costs.

To the OP, hope this is an easy quick fix. Keep everyone posted.

Great Post. Given exposure to this stuff though, smart kids do get it. I wear Danner boots pretty much exclusively when I'm not wearing Sorels or LL Bean rubber bottom boots (the Grouse is one of my favorites) and Filson jackets (Upland & Waterfowl jacket; Upland Vest (no longer made); Steelhead "Shorty" jacket; Filson waxed cotton bibs, Packer hat; several waxed cotton caps; briefcase; etc.; as well as a couple of Barbour waxed cotton jackets.

My son, who is in college, has taken note, and now tries to wear mine anytime he can sneak them out. (He cannot take my new Barbour though!)

He wants Filson clothes next year for Christmas, as well as Danner boots.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I could never be happy with that gun again. Have it fixed and sell it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:07 am 
Utility Grade

Talked to Browning yesterday. They want me to send ot to them so will ship it out today.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ever think internet gun forums attract a larger than average number of people with problem guns? Even if only .01% of guns are defective, that is still one out of 1000 firearms.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

WOW!!!! One of these miracle B-Guns broke. Guess they are just guns anyway not some miracle made of unobtanium. 5 Huglus and not a one has broken. :roll:

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!